Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Craters  (Read 41648 times)

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
Re: Craters
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »

Does that mean you'll be adding some sort of "weapon" to make the craters?  It would seem weird if there was an explosion every time you "place" a crater on the terrain, assuming the crater interface is similar to how you place road nodes.

Probably the craters will come with different types of textures and effects... I'm sure Cameni thought of that. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And about what giucam said with the tunnels and caves... ;D

Cool! Now that you did vertical holes, are you going to do horizontal ones? (that is, tunnels, caves,...) ;)

Do you think you may extend this option in to more possibilities :D?Like digging holes in the ground with a shovel but having just 25% of the craters dimension like a slice of pizza for the dimensions of the shovel.. ?Or yeah... select to points of entry on each mountain's side.. and unite to create a tunnel and then... you can go inside it and select parts of the tunnel and scale them + or - ... or modify them in some way... like the roads.Hmmmm... any plans for that? ;D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:34 pm »

Does that mean you'll be adding some sort of "weapon" to make the craters?  It would seem weird if there was an explosion every time you "place" a crater on the terrain, assuming the crater interface is similar to how you place road nodes.
Well, there's no crater interface, I have a key shortcut for it, and the length of the key press determines the crater diameter, appearing in front of you :)
I guess there will be something to throw in the public version ...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:50 am »

Well, there's no crater interface, I have a key shortcut for it, and the length of the key press determines the crater diameter, appearing in front of you :)
I guess there will be something to throw in the public version ...

... EOD playing getting near.  : P  Do you plan some pressure ground effect too ? (nice sonic boom from multiple sources at 2:16 - as i understand they do that kind of stuff by large stacks on purpose to partially limit the explosion effect) ... would be nice to have later some smoke effect interface (smoke type as function from "mushroom" type (horizontal center-pointed intake above ground and  around center hi-height material flow) to conical explosions (center top intake and sideways conical material flow)). That would cower different types of explosives just nicely.

P.S.: warzone EOD in vid., most of them mixed whyte small-arms munitions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:22:45 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:22 pm »

This is beyond amazing. Wow just wow. Can´t wait to see it with explosion effects and particles/smoke in action.

Amazing.

Battlefield what?? ;)

Edding3000

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »

Very cool!
One of the things i was thinking while watching: MAKE ME A HUUUGE CRATER!!!!

Abc94

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:11 pm »

Wow that looks really good!  I can see myself being entertained by this for a long time. :)  Something that I'm definitely going to do is fire a whole bunch of these at a high altitude and watch from the ground as they hit.  Dark blue is the biggest, right?   8)

Also really like the dirt particles that fly up in the air.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

Amazing 8)

Though, I hope this comes with a reset button of some sort, if that's possible? :S
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:52:13 pm »

So many people were waiting for that big one.. It never came.

I will just be shooting them strait up.. You know we need a bazooka model to go with this right?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 01:13:58 am »

So many people were waiting for that big one.. It never came.

Yep... Cameni made it seem pretty Hollywood.That long one in the middle was just so made to be seen as a nuke or something... and the expectations where so high to make a half kilometer crater from it.But yeah... :D it looks pretty promising!
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:56 am »

It will be much more pretty, when this craters will fill up with water, like a sea, and that water flow off like a river..... ::)
Resident of Outerra

OttoPus

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 06:40:18 am »

Great!!

Tfirma

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 07:28:21 am »

Nice.
Earlier you said "They get created generally under half a second".
I thought OK sometimes up to 500ms+, doesn't sound too good. But in this video craters forms the very next frame, IE
no delay. :) (checked slow-mo).
So I guess it's between 1-33ms (30fps=33ms) for normal craters (like in video) correct me if wrong please.

But is it the mile-big craters that gets 500+ms or what?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:34:16 am by Tfirma »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 07:40:31 am »

Well, I optimized it more :)
Basically what I did is that the tiles of the terrain hierarchy that are visible in the moment when the crater is created are updated first. Tiles that are affected by the crater, but are only going to be visible when you move closer or further from the crater, are updated on demand.

For larger craters it may take longer in some circumstances, like when you are quite close to them. During game play it will hardly matter though, since it will likely blow you away anyway, and even if it didn't the occlusion by dust and smoke will hide the crater for quite a long time.

Ozybolairy

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:51 am »

Like the particle additions to
The craters. Any plans to em corporate light sources which you would expect to appear on the terrain/objects in such an explosion? What about light sources in general, e.g. From headlights
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4