Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Road Creator Test.  (Read 16018 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Road Creator Test.
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:23 pm »

Trollstigen, Norway

http://goo.gl/maps/ywmK

When the time comes to test the road maker on collected datapoint information. Test it here first. The Tatra would be suicide.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Abc94

Road Creator Test.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:43:20 pm »

Haha why did they build a road like that?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:50 pm »

Quote from: Abc94

Norwegians are way cooler then the rest of us.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:01:41 am »

Nice one :)

Quote from: Abc94
Hairpin turns, called "serpentines" over here, used when you need to overcome a steep slopes. Still much cheaper than drilling a tunnel, especially when you only need to connect a remote place behind a mountain pass or such.

The road tool needs a special handling for these sharp turns, currently it objects when you make a turn when the transitional areas of the road segments overlap, what would be often the case here. On the other hand, the areas could be quite short here.

Jagerbomber

Road Creator Test.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »

0.o  We must think alike.  I was just looking at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUF-N8BsBmU#t=8m00s a few days ago and was thinking this would be awesome in Outerra.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&source=embed&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=118438119801346427158.00043c05f15ac48309d50
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:28:02 pm »

Crazy Norwegians :P.  Get some dynamite and blow your way through the pristine environment ... [/sarcasm off]

I really liked that video, Jager ... reminded me of my mindless 5 hour drives to Tulsa OK, only without the turns.  I really identified with the guy in the Aston at about 2:15 in the video ... everything he described (in oh so too vivid detail), I contended with :D

The one thing I liked about some of my long business road trips was the scenery, especially when instead of going AGAINST nature, the roads rolled with them.  That's few and far between in the American plains. :(
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:08 am »

Really need to see that top gear episode un-cut with the correct music. They edited out at least 70% of the material and changed all the music because of Youtube and the gay recording industry.

Season 10 Episode 1 (Oct 7, 2007)

Timmo

Road Creator Test.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
The one thing I liked about some of my long business road trips was the scenery, especially when instead of going AGAINST nature, the roads rolled with them.  That's few and far between in the American plains. :(

I've just finished an interesting book about the first surveys of America- Once surveying really got into its stride (i.e. into the middle states- Dakotas, kansas etc) it was all based on squares which were easily divided, easily surveyed and easily checked- roads therefore were placed between the squares and generally aligned north-south-east-west.

C. Shawn Smith

Road Creator Test.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »

Quote from: Timmo
all based on squares which were easily divided, easily surveyed and easily checked- roads therefore were placed between the squares and generally aligned north-south-east-west.

That's why almost all US interstate highways are "odd-numbered" if they go north/south, and "even-numbered" if they go east-west.  It's not always the case (highway 121 in my home town is "supposed" to be going north/south, but it's actually east/west).  I hate this form of organization ... there's something to be said about just "going with the flow."  The really noticeable "rolling with the hills" highways for me was heading northing into Oklahoma from Dallas, along I-75.  For the most part, it cuts through the hills, much as many of the trains do from New York to California (they blasted way too many mountains/hills back then, just to save a few extra minutes of time).  But in a few places, you find yourself going AROUND the hills and lakes, which is a nice scenic tour.  Route 66 is probably the best example of this, as there's only a few places where nature takes a 2nd-billing to the commute time.  Whenever I get up to OKC, I make a point of diverting from the main interstate just to experience Route 66 in its glory (what little there is left these days).

I know I spoke with Cameni about this in a private email, but my biggest gripe about modernization lately has been in my current home town.  When I first moved here, you could see all the closest major planets as well as the Milky Way, in all their glory, with the naked eye (back then, my eyesight was good enough I could make out one or two moons of Jupiter with the naked eye, as well as the rings of Saturn).  Since "progress" happened in the last 10-20 years, all that has gone away.  I used to have a really crappy refractive telescope years ago, and spent many nights sketching the phases of Venus and the progression of Jupiter's moons (much like Galileo did), as well as sketching the changes in the rings of Saturn throughout the year.  When I look through that very same telescope now, what do I see?  One moon of Jupiter if I'm lucky.  Saturn's rings have turned into a blob on either side of the planet.  I see Mars, Jupiter, and sometimes Venus on a good night.  Saturn requires midnight without a full moon just to see it.  And forget about Mercury, which I managed to capture in a crescent phase only once, back in '95 during the late evening hours.

If Cameni, Angrypig and the rest can add these little easter eggs into Outerra, I'll cry like a newborn baby :D.

My draw to Outerra so far is how virgin the planet is, even if it's not quite perfect yet.  Without the influence of man, it allows me to see what things might have been like a few thousand years ago.  I asked Cam one time if he'd mind showing me a screen of my current home town, but he said it was relatively flat and uninteresting :).  I'm content with that, considering all I see now is the local Walmart and liquor stores dotting the landscape.  Can't wait till they get to the point of the demo, when I'll be able to explore this area as it might have looked a century ago.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 10:02:12 pm »

My draw to Outerra so far is how virgin the planet is, even if it's not quite perfect yet.  Without the influence of man, it allows me to see what things might have been like a few thousand years ago.

That could be accomplished even with all the man made cities.. Just talk to this guy.

C. Shawn Smith

Road Creator Test.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:56 am »

:D ... sometimes I think we'd be better off if world governments would just nuke us all to H**l and back.  Hehehe.  The downside is I'd probably be one of the casualties.  I'm less than 30 miles from Dallas, TX, a major target.

/sigh.  The Alaskan wilderness is looking rather promising these days.  Cameni, when will we see screens of the Alaskan wilderness, in all its glory???? :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 01:13:50 am »

I'm less than 30 miles from Dallas, TX, a major target.

I'm 9 miles north of Manhattan. I won't even know what hit me.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Road Creator Test.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:41:14 am »

/sigh.  The Alaskan wilderness is looking rather promising these days.  Cameni, when will we see screens of the Alaskan wilderness, in all its glory???? :)
Just a moment until we finish the model of Sarah .. won't be the wilderness without her :D