Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Suggestion for Occulus Rift  (Read 38545 times)

mLichy

Re: Suggestion for Occulus Rift
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »

Wow. Haha. That's badass.  Well when you wear that thing. Your body wants to move sometimes. Since it really does feel like you're in the game and not looking at something on a screen.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 12:42:49 am »

And, finally, here's Skyrim with the Occulus rift
(which obviously wasn't designed for it - lol look at the shadows on the 2 views.)
!
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

mLichy

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 12:53:25 am »

Even still, I wanna see it myself. Could still be badass.
I'm very tempted to pre order my own kit.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 06:21:50 pm »

Head and arm motion using the Oculus Rift and the Razer Hydra controllers.

That motion Portal 2 DLC was originally made for the Hydra controllers quite a while before they came to the Playstation Move.

After 1:00 he shows the view through the Rift.
!
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

raggsokken

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »

I have no idea how much work it would be, but do you plan to add a option to use the razer hydra for positional-tracking? I can see that there will be no use for it in the final engine, but i believe it would add a great deal to the immersion.

Anyways, when do you expect your rift to arrive?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 01:20:32 am »

Current estimate is in the first half of May.

mLichy

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 09:52:19 am »

YES!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 12:32:11 am »

Kotaku trying out the Tuscany demo and TF2 in Oculus Rift
http://kotaku.com/kotaku-takes-the-oculus-rift-for-a-spin-486679107

Jagerbomber

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 06:53:33 pm »

Guillotine simulator

Jagerbomber

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »

Portal 2

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:49 pm »

Portal was the game I was waiting for. Looks like a ball.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

jeremiah

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:57 pm »

I've been blown away by the reactions to the Occulus Rift.  Its great to see the Outerra developers embracing it.  One common impression I've heard is the impressive sense of scale you get while wearing it.  Players have reported feeling physically shaken by the harrowing jumps in games.  Many feel as though combat is too intense, and they prefer exploration.

When I see videos of the majestic mountains of Outerra, I can't help but visualize how perfect a mountain climbing simulation could be paired with Outerra and the Occulus Rift.  Climbing tools, adverse weather conditions, setting up camp, are examples of gameplay mechanics that could be represented.  I can only imagine the sense of vertigo you would get with a to-scale representation of a mountain with the Rift on.  Game concepts that seemed impractical before now seem possible with the Rift.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 04:26:40 pm »

Received my Oculus Rift devkit today. Here are the first impressions after testing the Tuscany demo.
  • FOV is good, it's probably the most important factor for the immersion
  • Lag is fairly low, it can be still perceived when turning fast, but it's good enough
  • Resolution is low as expected, though I didn't imagine seeing individual RGB stripes of the pixels. However, after a while the brain started to filter it out.
  • It's a bit nauseating, depending on what you are doing. Hopefully it will go away with training. It actually got me wondering why it happens - it clearly is a psychic reaction, but why the brain starts poking the stomach? I learned that it's likely an evolutionary adaptation, a defense mechanism against neurotoxins, when brain induces vomiting when it detects a conflict between vision and balance and concludes that one of the organs hallucinates due to poison ingestion. Who would have thought.
  • Flying white fluffy things add a lot to the experience, must add some to OT

The Tuscany demo doesn't do it the justice at all. Resolution of its textures is in places even lower than the low resolution of the Rift. Grass is just a blurry texture and the world outside of the containment yard is blurry and rough like hell. And of course we are completely unused to be constrained and unable to go wherever we want.

This sooo needs Outerra world.

I'm going to work on optimized stereoscopic rendering mode, and depending on what the resulting performance will be there may be also a faster mode (but with some artifacts), since getting and keeping 60 fps seems to be quite important for the overall experience.

mLichy

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:40:40 pm »

YES!!!

OttoPus

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:41 pm »

• Flying white fluffy things add a lot to the experience, must add some to OT
;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5