Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Suggestion for Occulus Rift  (Read 38528 times)

mLichy

Re: Suggestion for Occulus Rift
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »

Can't wait to see a video

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 10:39:23 pm »

When you get it up and running to your liking.. Send a message on youtube to Cymatic Bruce.. http://www.youtube.com/user/HapPProductions/videos?view=0  He has been doing these playthrough's for a while and has a ton of views.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

booz

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 01:56:37 am »

Hello! received my development kit today too... ;D ;D ;D ! Have you any idea how long it will take to make Outerra compatible with rift?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:15 am »

Hoping it will be just a couple of days. But we need to optimize the rendering for it, as OT eats enough resources as it is.

booz

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 05:27:05 am »

thank ! very impatient  :)

mLichy

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:40 am »

Damn, wishing I had a Dev Kit now.... but maybe best to wait for the consumer version, whenever that is :(

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:12 am »

Consumer version definitely - the resolution should be a bit higher there:

"The resolution is 1280×800...   Oculus is aiming for at least 1920×1080 (960×1080 per eye) for the consumer version" - wiki

Was interested in VR for very long time (since 1995) and always wandered that some obvious features were missing.
Oculus kind of made most of them. However, sad that resolution is still low. Especially looking at some existing screens that  give FullHD quality on 5 inches.

Know that would bring the cost up, as well as size of device a little bit, but still it looks like it is possible in our days make a perfect VR helmet.
VFx Artist/Supervisor, Private Pilot - www.sk-films.com

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:30 am »

• It's a bit nauseating, depending on what you are doing. Hopefully it will go away with training. It actually got me wondering why it happens - it clearly is a psychic reaction, but why the brain starts poking the stomach? I learned that it's likely an evolutionary adaptation, a defense mechanism against neurotoxins, when brain induces vomiting when it detects a conflict between vision and balance and concludes that one of the organs hallucinates due to poison ingestion. Who would have thought.
... well, brain has its way for tuning its world-perception. Take some drunk-glasses and the brain has a lot to do to try figuring out the right movement/distance ratio from its vision. Giving it a not matching way of fine head movements (has a need to play a lot whyte tracking response setup) and a different quality image in all of its sight is a real deal for our gray cells  --  is not much good actually, ( :-\) the organism response to your stomach is only one of the more perceived changes. It is possible to get used to it, but its necessary to get some pre-response for the brain (something saying him: well, now we get to oculus mode), just to make it get used to it more easily and not to let the brain trying to "reprogram" its perception ways if used a lot. ... there was a brain-psychological thought somewhere about the needs to get the perception on such complex VR simulations right to reality, otherwise, there is a possibility of physiological dis-balance getting chronical (possibly even on external signals - like seeing a screen whyte the same characteristics the used system has) and even an odd response to split the two ways of perception like another kind of "dreaming", reality, opening a way to maybe splitting ones personality. Motorics are a neat thing at it too, in moments of unconsciousness getting over it may get things messed up (trying to get the response needs of VR to do the same in reality - the hand just not getting so far and fast to get the flying ball, hawing an odd feeling of being left-handed to get hit by it anyways  ;D). 

... so, a lot of tweaking and not much usage advised. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:00:37 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:29 pm »

First test of Oculus Rift integration with Outerra. Some clipping issues, lowered grass density, needs further tweaking.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 04:40:08 pm »

aaaaah That is so cool!  Especially when walking around.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:44:53 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 04:53:38 pm »

Nice.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Ozybolairy

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 04:56:06 pm »

Those of us at home with holes in our pockets and no occupies rifts stapled to our head can get the just of the experience by crossing your eyes whilst watching the video!

A few questions:
Is the field of view as warped when you're wearing the oculus? Looks really warped in the vid?
I presume the immersion is better because you can turn your head and the view changes accordingly?
What's the resolution like?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 05:49:52 pm »

That warping is there to compensate for the warping of lenses, so in the end it looks (almost) ok. I think the compensation isn't optimal yet, but I think I have also an issue with the FOV there.

Immersion is better mainly because the stereoscopic view and the large FOV gives a great sense of scale. When you approach the truck and look at the tires, they are massive as they are in real life, which isn't really conveyed via a monitor.

Turning the head isn't the primary immersion factor actually. I mean, you will do it naturally when the immersion feeling is already there, but you can relatively easily get used to not turning the head and turn with the mouse instead. The latter is also a bit less nauseating, but I guess it's a matter of training.

The resolution is low, if you focus you can see the individual RGB stripes. But the brain gets used to it a bit later and starts filtering it - especially when you start to be captivated by the scale of things and the world.

mLichy

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:45 pm »

So cool!  Glad to see it working so fast!

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »

How does this device work for those of us that need reading glasses?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5