Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Water (a little bit more realistic tone with a simple retouch)  (Read 6287 times)

Foxiol

• Gamer

Hi, well I live in front of the beach and of course depends in the place and the type of coast ons some cases that affect the colour of the surface...but still water is almost the same everywhere.

I made a little re-touch of it using the Environment settings in the game and I think it looks more realistic at any time of day that way. Even with a couple more of changes it can look even better since I did this in one single minute. To me it looks like that and not that blue while talking in general.

Then you have the different type of coasts around the globe in where the colour changes from green to sky-blue and so on, but since this is a more general approach I think it looks good.

Tell me what do you think:

Different views:

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Water (a little bit more realistic tone with a simple retouch)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:22 am »

This is some good work.. Cameni write these settings down. Stock water is a bit too odd.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:22:52 am »

And how are the water settings?
Resident of Outerra

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:06:36 am »

Check the right of any picture and you can see it.  ;)

PS: Thanks Zeos. 

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

Um, maybe the stock water isn't right, but guys, this one is odd as if it was a beer ;)

The half-depth says at what depth the light of given color attenuates to half the intensity. Red color attenuates a lot more quicker than green blue, you can see the graph here:
(taken from http://oceanography-leahmoore.blogspot.com/2010/10/light-attenuation-for-various-colors-of.html)

From the graph it should be blue = ~30m, green = 12m and the red gets absorbed very quickly, the half-depth is less than a meter.
Maybe you are trying to simulate some dirt particles that reflect back more of the red light from shallow depths, but a clean water won't do this. The scattering parameter is there for that, but right now it assumes the particles are white. It will be adjustable later, probably inferring the color from satellite data. Impurities are the major factor that give the water a distinct tint.

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:20:51 pm »

Check the right of any picture and you can see it.  ;)

Sorry, a small Monitor and just the left side of the picture.  ::)
Resident of Outerra

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:16 pm »

Yes Cameni, thanks for the graph. I changed it just for the simple look, that "beer" look (lol) is more natural now at least than the pure blue colour.

I did it just because of that. Also if you look at water (real water) at the coast you can clearly see the bottom of the ocean and in the deepest parts since there is less light it looks darker.
Using more red depth gave me that "effect".

Like here:

That´s how "it should" look when proper effects act or react with the whole thing. Not saying that you need to change it or use my settings because it was just to show how I like it to be. ;)