Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Terrain/Road 'cracks' ... see through terrain spaces  (Read 3854 times)

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
Terrain/Road 'cracks' ... see through terrain spaces
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:36 am »

Hi...

Look... I'm not trying to throw more work at you, because I know you have a lot of that.But I am actually throwing more work at you with this.

This things that you can see on the screen shots below, exist for some time, actually a long time.And I was thinking... maybe you can solve multiple problems by another algorithm or develop a 'fixing' method.And that method?What would it do exactly?Well... when I'm thinking of it, sounds something like this:

When you create the terrain with a 'road' or any piece of deformation tool that can influence the terrain to create such 'cracks'.The roads / terrain modifiers should have a "self repair" that would recognize the missing parts or deteriorated parts of terrain, and repair them.Or if it wouldn't be that:  'creating extra terrain within the terrain' method... maybe it could be another... Hmmm.. another??... Well... 'another' could be just an illusion, or a 'hack' how you prefer to call it.And that illusion would be to create a terrain just under that piece of texture that is 'cracked' and see through, just to cover it and at least it won't have to be visible too much, or for the other deformities of the terrain in different circumstances.

Anyway... I was just pitching an idea.I'm just a bit tired of tweaking roads and stuff just because there is a visible line on the terrain, crack or deformity that shows some kind of weakness that others would call it "a defect".

Feel free to pitch in with ideas if you have (on how this could be solved, and it could be transited by the developers from idea to code by having a greater idea of the concept of how can it be fixed).

And I think this could be useful not only for this kind of 'incidents', but actually serve for a much wider purpose.

a) Close-up

b) Same terrain from "a)" but seen from a few feet/meters away.

ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Terrain/Road 'cracks' ... see through terrain spaces
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:26 am »

These are bugs that need to be fixed, not worked around. I'd welcome an easy reproducible case when that happens.