Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Extended controls and clickable cockpits  (Read 13406 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Extended controls and clickable cockpits
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 06:54:42 am »

LMB-hold + wheel feels pretty awkward to me. I can do RMB-hold + wheel better, but even that is not very pleasant.
Yeah, just realized I inverted LMB and RMB in my post  :facepalm:

RMB-hold is used elsewhere for turning (TPS modes), so I'd like to use that instead of LMB for consistency if possible. What about:
- clickable cockpit mode (toggle with Space) - shows cursor, LMB click/drag to adjust cockpit controls, RMB-hold to control the view (hides the cursor)
  wheel for zoom
- view mode - free camera, RMB-hold shows the cursor, doesn't move camera, and with LMB you can click/move the cockpit controls

RMB-hold + other mouse controls is still clumsy, but in view mode it would be just for some quick actions.

Seems perfect!

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:53 am »

Also an option to turn off the hints wouldn't be bad, maybe there are people that don't like them...

Yes, not a bad idea.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 11:14:11 am »

Will be possible to have the clickable elements even outside the cockpit, for example to open doors, remove the remove before flight ribbons and so on?

Yes that would be good too. Stuff that can be open from outside, optionally highlighted.

RMB-hold is used elsewhere for turning (TPS modes), so I'd like to use that instead of LMB for consistency if possible. What about:
- clickable cockpit mode (toggle with Space) - shows cursor, LMB click/drag to adjust cockpit controls, RMB-hold to control the view (hides the cursor)
  wheel for zoom
- view mode - free camera, RMB-hold shows the cursor, doesn't move camera, and with LMB you can click/move the cockpit controls
Sounds pretty good for me, but I'm thinking on something more similar to FSX. While Space bar is being pressed, you can freely move the camera, if not, then you can click on the cockpit elements. That simple.

We'll probably end up with two basic modes - default interactive or default freecam, and whether Space toggles or needs to be held.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 11:22:31 am »

Yes that would be good too. Stuff that can be open from outside, optionally highlighted.

We'll probably end up with two basic modes - default interactive or default freecam, and whether Space toggles or needs to be held.
That would be just perfect, thank you!

bomber

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:14 am »

Check out the way flightgear handles it..... Don't reinvent the wheel.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

PytonPago

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 11:47:24 am »

Id liked that a lot, specially for some external doors n dorlets on trucks, doe, how would be that handled outside the vehicle ? I kinda like that oppening door now, but you had to say the vehicle, witch door/object you want to use. Not sure if ya would let that clickable-mode outside the vehicles, or just let it be extended atleast to characters - (no need to switch to that mode to see a cursor, but at least let the stuff be clicked in the center of the view).  ... some protection cowers for aircraft intlets-outlets, gas, hydraulics n electro-agregat cowers. (point is, once some of my airfield vehicles are done, id like to be able to connect the cables and tubes to it, potentionally re-fueling, charging batteryes, adding pressure to the hydro-systems - that would push sims to a next level on ground).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 12:56:54 pm »

It could pick the closest door/hood or whatever thing registered on the model as openable, within a reachable range, and send it to vehicle as AOpen request with the id. The registration of openable items could be providing a mesh name, so that the same mesh can be also highlighted as the one that will/can be opened.

PytonPago

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 03:03:01 pm »

It could pick the closest door/hood or whatever thing registered on the model as openable, within a reachable range, and send it to vehicle as AOpen request with the id. The registration of openable items could be providing a mesh name, so that the same mesh can be also highlighted as the one that will/can be opened.

That would be great Cameni !

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 03:07:09 pm »

I like how EZDOC camera for FSX does it. Hold middle mouse down to look around, scroll to turn knobs, click to press switches.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.
Pages: 1 [2]