Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Community Pre-vis for Outerra  (Read 16172 times)

hboybowen

Community Pre-vis for Outerra
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:31:09 am »

So I have outerra and since the entire earth and everything is there. The only think left is game dev,or so it seems. So I wanted to do pre-vis for what could be possible with Outerra:

FPS character system:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:34:29 pm by hboybowen »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Pre-vis Outerra
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:37 am »

Man, its the future.. Where all the ray guns at?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

angrypig

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:00:26 pm »

This is how it looks when the gun is properly lit by the engine...

:-X

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:05:08 pm by angrypig »

hboybowen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:24:31 pm »

didn't think of that angrypig! The reason I choice post engine was I am gathering reference footage and animations for a pre-vis concept vid or sets of gifs.

Next one I'll post late tonight
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:29:09 pm by hboybowen »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:00:30 pm »

No wonder you seem to never accomplish anything pig.. Too busy playing CS_World ;)

I have a load of items I would like to have discussed going over weapons handling in games and I know each "mod" will do it's own thing but I have some pretty revolutionary ideals when it comes to the aiming systems and making them WAY more realistic without too much work that I think would help OT stand out. This seems as legitimate a thread to discuss it as possible.

Weapon Weight, Balance and Lag - In any current shooter wherever you look, you shoot .. instantly. A very unrealistic approach to anyone that has even held a real weapon. With my mouse sensitivity all the way up I can pull off about twelve 360° rotations in 0.45 seconds and my gun is right along with me able to put rounds out like the god damned death blossom from The Last Starfighter. 

I promote a system instead where the place you are looking and the place you are shooting are not always the same place instantly and your weapon type matters a WHOLE lot when aiming is concerned.

First you would need to have at least a two mode switch, Safe and Tactical. This doesn't apply to the gun but instead to the person holding it.

Tactical mode would look like the pictures above, ready for action RIGHT NOW.. A slower/quieter walk and heightened senses (sound and vision tweaks?) It is also only maintainable in short spurts (5-10 minutes, gun weight dependent).

Safe mode is how an armed soldier or guard walks around 99% of the time. Gun down hanging on a sling, safety on. You are relatively stress free and your arms are not getting tired from holding a 7 lb (2.2KG) rifle out in front of you.

Now the big addition in my way of thinking is purposeful LAG.. Not the kind that gets you killed in shooters now.. A new kind that will get you killed in shooters, tomorrow.

Let me throw up an example of what happens in my system..

You think you are awesome! Future soldier extraordinaire. You are running so damed Tacti-Cool it is ridiculous and your gun looks like this..

It also weights 12 lbs and sticks off your shoulder 4 feet. You are walking forward in safe mode. Gun down because this damn thing is heavy!.. A sound to your right 90°, you turn your head (possibly via Oculus Rift) and OH CRAP A BEAR!!! ( enemy soldiers are so boring).. SPACE BEAR!. You click your mouse to come out of safe mode and to aim your weapon at where you are looking.... ..... ..... ..... Holy crap this thing is heavy and hard to swing 90 degrees and aim. Maybe you should be less Tacticool and more ready to kill a space bear when one pops up.

I am not saying let it take 10 seconds to come up and around but I would be more than willing to bet 1.5-2.5 seconds to get your crosshairs even CLOSE to your target isn't out of the question..

Now I could very simply take a survey of many different people, Holding very different sized, weight and purpose weapons or props with similar stats and run field trials that show that even in tactical ready mode in a shooting gallery setting a human being on average can only swing a 9lb Mossin Nagant rifle around 180° and steady on a 5" target (via laser site and camera) in X.XX seconds. But with a pistol can switch from target A to target B in much less time..

In my world being armed for the scenario is paramount. You don't clear buildings with sniper rifles that take an eon to aim and you don't want to accessorize your weapon to the point you lose mobility and can't murder someone before they murder you.

A two reticule system for easy mode.. A round icon showing where you are looking and a crosshair that floats where the gun is aiming. When you look somewhere your gun catches up moments later and that is determined by all the properties of the gun itself. We have to presume all the "players" are in similar physical shape or perhaps take a very sexist approach and women have a harder time wielding large guns. (Get great press with that!) or even implement a training system that makes you faster, stronger.. Been on 200 missions to kill space bears? You a 0.2 seconds faster to aim your weapon than Jerry the farmer.

Hard or REAL mode would of course have no reticule. You look somewhere and have to use iron sights or a red-dot or some futuristic Holographic aiming becon to know where the hell your gun is aiming. If you get "good" you would have a rough idea how long it takes to turn and aim and can fire somewhat reliably from the hip. This is not a software thought.. You would actually just need to practice.

I would also mod the sniping system with massive weapon inertia that requires constant mouse movement to steady / aim a gun from an unsupported position. Get near a wall it is assumed you are leaning on it and your aim steadies a bit..  Go Prone with a bi-pod and it is a different story altogether but your swing range is limited and the mouse movement reverses since you are now moving the butt of the gun to aim and not swinging the barrel.

MAKE KILLING PEOPLE HARD!! is the moral of the story.

Perhaps a video demonstration with a laser pointer, numbered targets and a few volunteers to show how slow people actually are would help demo what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:04:40 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
Re: Community Pre-vis for Outerra
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:35:43 pm »

Zeos, have you played ARMA 3? They have a lot of that happening already, and I love it. No safety, but that's the only thing that isn't there...
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:38:28 pm »

I have played the alpha.. And it still isn't there enough. There is still instant LOOK and SHOOT which is the big thing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:49:06 pm by ZeosPantera »

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:44:36 pm »

Well, ARMA isn't exactly a super-sim. There needs to be a certain level of accesability or you lose a ton of people, but I would like to try the delay idea.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 01:50:13 pm »

My friends and I on a recent endeavor.

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »

Even a pistol swinging round would take time to adjust... human eyes have to see the target, the brain has to understand and slow the arm down, the arm has to be accurised (totally made that word up), the target confirmed, the trigger pulled. Yes, a heavy rifle will take more time, but I know *if* I ever held a pistol and spun round to shoot (I hope I never have to) I will miss the first few shots (assuming automatic).
If it's realistically accurate, people should buy into it. Who wants a baby version where the rifle is weightless?
Finally, actually, to a beefy soldier, a 2.2kg rifle is very little. 8kg, I can *probably* do (I don't have any 8kg guns, but with both arms I can hold my cello up and point it for a few seconds, and that's nearly 8kg), and I'm an internet-based teenager :P

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:19:17 pm »

How did I not know you could destroy Mike's golf ball...

o.O

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 05:27:40 pm »

Aw... spoiler...  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 05:50:28 pm »

ALSO, 1.5 seconds sounds about right for a rifle, but I can get shots on target in one second with a pistol (That's when I'm not currently aiming or looking for things to shoot). I'm just afraid that a system like this would come off less "authentic" and more "disruptive"

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 10:08:41 pm »

I'm just afraid that a system like this would come off less "authentic" and more "disruptive"
Death is also disruptive.. Keep that in mind.

Well it would need to be felt out with a lot of testing.

How about head look with the mouse and the body follows behind.. So you look left and you turn left and walk left a bit later. Then add all of this to my system..

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 02:35:49 am »

That could work, almost like controling a warthog in Halo... (If you know what I mean) Just tighter.
Pages: [1] 2