Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Limits of functionally designed models ?  (Read 86098 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Limits of functionally designed models ?
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2013, 03:31:32 pm »

Hmm ... just found a little nerve-breaking problem - since the importer "makes different meshes due to materials", i gonna have a little problem whyte rockets in the launcher. There are around 9 types of rockets available for it, so:

- i have to make each of those rockets at each place of the launcher pods if i will have the difference visible in the launcher itself.

- make each material part of each rocket a different mesh and so a part-multiplied script for making the meshes visible/invisible for them. (yes, making them all one-material based whyte texture would simplify the work, but there is an else reason for witch i do it this multiple-material way)

Will likely need to make some external indexing-file for the pylons so i dont have to do complex IF´s in vehicle script, just an link to the file ... that will take some learning.   :-\
Project starts to be really challenging.   :D

P.S.: memo for modders and model makers - do not try to make varial munition open-pylon rocket launchers of complex structural integrity. :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:38:51 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PytonPago

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2013, 11:13:51 am »

Just speculated whyte the extra_force a little and found somewhat of a possible little problem. For ship movements (and analogs (rockets and space ships in near zero gravity)) its fairly well that the value for steering (in x axis) can be zero and its intensity growing from it in both + and -. Doe this approach can prove a difficult thing for weapon systems, or rotational ship propulsion systems, where it would be better fixed to a certain mesh origin(pivot) - so the impulse would be a constant, vector according to the origin(pivot) and the actual change of the direction would be done just by rotating the mesh, to witch it is bound.

An example white my grad - rotation is defined by the turret-script, where the rotation is defined trough the this.turx.value and this.tury.value, witch at spawn has a 0 value. So if i will the fire back-force act in the right direction, i have to :

Code: [Select]
this.extra_force({x:0, y:-3, z:2.4},{x:-40000*this.turx.value, y:-70000*this.tury.value, z:0});
(i defined the place, where the force acts to the approximate position of the grad system on the vehicle)

so if its in basic position, then the vector is zero, what means no force being applied. In my case its OK, cause the grad has a backwards oriented amortizator (rear hydraulic wheel axile suspension fixing device). But in some stationary weapon systems would be (a tanks cannon) such behaving a little odd. At the same time, the vector "length" (thus the force power) is not a constant value too, witch may for such kinds of applications be a bad thing, if it should stay constant ...

Changing the actual extra_force script would be bad, its behavior has its good sites, so if there could be another such force-type script added, but whyte mesh-origin(pivot) vector orientation base, it would be a nice and useful addition.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:19:30 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:22 am »

There can be an extra_force variant that takes a joint id as the argument, and the two vectors can then operate in the joint/bone space instead. You can achieve the same behavior by rotating the vectors using bone quaternion, but that's clumsy to do in Javascript without quaternion math lib.

PytonPago

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2013, 12:04:26 pm »

There can be an extra_force variant that takes a joint id as the argument, and the two vectors can then operate in the joint/bone space instead.

;)

You can achieve the same behavior by rotating the vectors using bone quaternion, but that's clumsy to do in Javascript without quaternion math lib.

Hmm .. have to look into that way.

PytonPago

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2013, 02:58:23 pm »

Just thought of a little challenge ... till some other things can go from where i am. Im very interested how the interior will come out ... and what OT says to it.  :D

montieris

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2013, 04:23:59 am »

Just thought of a little challenge ... till some other things can go from where i am. Im very interested how the interior will come out ... and what OT says to it.  :D

I hope better than mine!

Work in progress.
airdefence command point BTR-60 PU-12

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:21:24 am by montieris »

PytonPago

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »

Wow, that is a nice work there on the equipment pal ! Im planing to get the AK-shooting places a proper use and make the interior as best it can get, doe i dont know if i will take on the engine-compartment.  ... there is a lot of variations of the BTR series from command to utility vehicles, would be nice to have a few of them in the future ...

There is a nice publication on the whole series starting from the II world war, its in russian, but there is a lot of interesting photo-documentation inside too:
http://bookre.org/reader?file=539617&pg=2

A little odd doe, that it isnt one of the machines white a higher placed roof, must have been very small operation space in there.
You planing the 60-ty for some AA defence sim ? Know there was some talk about such a thing in OT a longer while ago, would be nice to see it go on.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:52:36 pm by PytonPago »

montieris

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2013, 12:56:01 pm »

A little odd doe, that it isnt one of the machines white a higher placed roof, must have been very small operation space in there.
You planing the 60-ty for some AA defence sim ? Know there was some talk about such a thing in OT a longer while ago, would be nice to see it go on.
Thanks!
Most soviet vehicles are quite cramped. (especially BMD's, tanks)

In spare time as hobby i model 3d cabins/exteriors of air defense units.
While i'm not planing to create air defence sim, who knows maybe such team will gather and create something. :)
But first lets wait for SDK.

As right now i have:
ZSU-23 (exterior + interior)
SA-13 (exterior + interior)
SA-8 (exterior + interior)
PU-12 (exterior + interior)

S-300PS 30N6 (interior)
ST-68U (interior)

Roland MAN 8x8 (exterior + interior)
Patriot PAC-2 (interior)

*These models require mesh refurbish + texture work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:57:46 pm by montieris »

PytonPago

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2013, 02:25:37 pm »

Wow ... that is some nice info! You just made me want to see all of them.  :D I would certainly like to see the Shilka and Strela-10, not to mention all of them in OT, we hawe to put them models to some use !  ;D

Most soviet vehicles are quite cramped. (especially BMD's, tanks)

Yes, the soviet approach was on low profile vehicles to be a harder target for manual aiming back then. Now such things start to become obsolete. Doe whyte the new IL-79 it might come back just for airborne sakes.
They did build a lot of modded versions of them (even of the older BMD series) for all the non-combat army brigades and civil use. 

(PU-12M7)

(Volga GAZ-21 - that would be a nice mobile camping-house)

P.S.: Just mentioned in that model, that the internal space is actually to the end of the back-roof door. How to hell did they manage back then put two V-6 engines and a water-turbine in the remaining space when the modern 80 has 1/3 of the space for them (just like the modern PU in photo) ? ;D

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:27:35 pm by PytonPago »

PytonPago

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »

Uff ... details, details, details ... they will be the death of me.  ;D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2013, 02:18:08 pm »

Pfft. That looks like ass pyton.. You didn't even model each individual rivet.. individually.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:26 pm »

Pfft. That looks like ass pyton.. You didn't even model each individual rivet.. individually.

Damn you Zeos !!! If your comment makes me "model each individual rivet.. individually", im gonna finish that model when my beard is like Gandalfs ... and make you wear a sweater made out of it !!!  :D

James

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2013, 03:52:42 pm »

I'm trying to get into modeling, but it seems I can't get past modeling car hoods. Should I be using Turbo Smooth (3ds max)?

PytonPago

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2013, 04:52:04 pm »

I'm trying to get into modeling, but it seems I can't get past modeling car hoods. Should I be using Turbo Smooth (3ds max)?

Best is to make a very simple mesh of it just by a lightly subdivided plane. Then, when its done, you do a subdivide and smooth combination till its in your desired state. Doe, every smooth curve must be done by a two or three angle steps. (if you do just an single angle and the plane is wide, it will smooth it in the median points of the planes, so the curve radius will be wide accordingly, but if the angle consists of two-three narrow planes, medians are very close to each other and so smoothen will result in a nice planed curve) ... there are a lot of such small tips to do at modeling, most of them are even on youtube to find (just type car-modeling 3DMax) and jump trough them. Some might have even other interesting stuff at them -- that was my way of learning stuff at blender, looking at vid. whyle tried out.

Of course, there is even an "stretch" function too, but i dont use it much. (more for character modeling than technical stuff, if there are not much nice curves).

James

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:15 pm »

How do I subdivide for the smoothing? When I use Inset on a quad it still comes out as circular in TurboSmooth.

Nvm got it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:17:55 pm by James »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11