Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Vehicle Editor Tool (Idea)  (Read 3445 times)

mLichy

Vehicle Editor Tool (Idea)
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:14 am »

I'm thinking about making a C# or WPF tool that would read in a folder/vehicles files and allow the user to edit everything in 1 view. 

It would show vehicle properties on the left, and then have some sort of material editor on the right. Letting the user pick new bitmaps, or tweak values and whatnot, more visually. 
There could also be presets for things like glass,wood,chrome, ect.

The vehicle properties would allow the user to tweak the engine params, or add new joints/sounds/ect.  I'm sure this could get to be pretty in-depth.   

Even better yet, it would be great if somehow the user could push the updates to the engine, basically just calling the reload, for vehicle properties anyways.  But for materials, I'm not sure if that would work. 

Does this sound useful to people, or not really necessary?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Vehicle Editor Tool (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:50:40 pm »

There is a reload and editor for vehicles (alt-E) (the JS file) with a reload button or Alt-R.. I am not sure materials can be reloaded yet while live. Have to wait for Cameni to respond.

I find the font hard to read so I use Notepad++ and just alt-R to preview the results.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

mLichy

Re: Vehicle Editor Tool (Idea)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:05:43 pm »

Yeah, I also use Notepad ++.  So, if you save in Notepad and click Reload, it will reload the script from disk to the editor/ingame?  That's not too bad then.

Maybe the tool is overkill as I said.  More so curious if it sounds useful.  Since working directly in a text editor isn't always ideal.  A tool might make things more inviting for less non-technical people.