Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 16004 times)

Diesel Smoke

Hello
« on: November 22, 2010, 07:06:16 am »

Hello, let me introduce myself. I am Diesel Smoke from the Rigs of Rods forum. http://www.rigsofrods.com/forum.php
We are very interested in your excellent game. I just have a few questions.

Can i download the game anywhere?
Is there any way Outerra can become a plugin for Rigs of Rods?

I have many more but this is just a start. Some help would be nice to have here. If you are already on the RoR forum, send me a PM, i don't mind. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:37:27 am »

Outerra is not a game, it's an engine that could be used to make games. It's still in development though, there's nothing to download yet. A demo will be available after the driver problems are sorted out.

Outerra cannot easily become a plugin for RoR, as the terrain rendering and generator quite depends on the engine functionality and isn't easily separable. Making a beam physics plugin to Outerra would be a more reasonable idea.

Diesel Smoke

Hello
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »

Ok, thank you for answering. Here are some more questions about Outerra:

Is there flextire?
Is there damage?
Do vehicles have good flexbody?

Also out only problem making RoR a plugin for Outerra, is that we would lose most of our physics, but no matter what, we would take some risks.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Hello
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:04:48 am »

That seems to be a trait of you RoR people - insisting on comparing a vehicle simulator with a graphics engine.
So again.

Outerra is a specialized terrain and graphics engine. Specialized in that it does planets and provides procedurally generated world, not an empty level to start with. Any physics you see there is for demo purposes, and no physics goes too deep because that's not the point. The point is the planet and procedural terrain - the very thing you have been attracted by.

Now the soft-body physics can be of course implemented in Outerra, either as a core functionality or as a plugin. But in no way it should be the sole option for physics - not nearly everybody wants it or needs it. Since the engine is in development and none of our customers want such physics, it's not our priority to implement it or to get someone that would do it now. Otherwise we would have done it already, a modern implementation on GPU, which is AFAIK still not available in RoR.

As I've said elsewhere, someday we'd like to make a simulator platform that would be providing terrain and rendering and will allow making plugins with simulator functionality. That way RoR developers could come and make a RoR-style physics plugin, attachable to given vehicles so that RoR people could drive around and delight over flex-whatever, while at the same time somebody flies over in an aircraft controlled by a specialized fine tuned flight dynamics model implemented in another plugin, from a technique he is praying to.
Because never will be all people content with a single physics model, and I assert this is true even if there was a real-life™ model implementation.

David Pemberton

Hello
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 10:31:21 am »

Can I just say, please don't judge all users of the RoR sim by the few (idiots) who post nonsense comments on this forum. Fortunately they don't represent the more mature members who understand completely the difference between a graphics engine and a game / sim.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Hello
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:50:08 am »

Sorry, I'm usually more patient, of course it doesn't have anything to do with RoR :)
We should definitely put up some FAQ where these things will be clearly stated, and people could be referred to it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Hello
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Sorry, I'm usually more patient, of course it doesn't have anything to do with RoR :)
We should definitely put up some FAQ where these things will be clearly stated, and people could be referred to it.

Best course of action cameni would be to ignore them and let us senior trolls straiten them out. We're perfectly capable of politely yelling at noobs until the noobs become seniors and themselves perfectly capable of yelling at the next generation of noobs. The forum cycle of life I call it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Hello
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:24:55 pm »

:D
Agreed

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Hello
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:07 pm »

I agree too.  An FAQ would make this place even more noob friendly than it is now, which means more people here, which means more future veterans.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Hello
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:43:08 am »

I was going to post something in this thread, but everything I came up with sounded too crass :D

Reminds me of a T-shirt I bought while visiting the Grand Canyon a few years ago: "I went to the Grand Canyon and all I got was this lousy T-shirt ... and the Canyon had nothing but pine trees in it because Camenia/Angrypig hadn't enabled the land class yet."

Oh wait, I guess I'm still being crass :D

A FAQ would be in order, on a more serious note.  Although if anyone had the gumption to just look at the blog, you could get 90% of all the facts you needed to understand what's being attempted here.

I log in daily to see if anything new is posted, simply because of what I want to do with the engine.  Even though I know it's going to ultimately cause me a lot of headaches and sleepless nights :).

Damn you Outerra team! :D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)