Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Introduce Outerra to Steam with Greenlight  (Read 15953 times)

lukek6081

Introduce Outerra to Steam with Greenlight
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:38 am »

Recently a lot of games that are in alpha have been introduced to Steam via "greenlight" Link: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight
I think if Outerra was available for purchase on steam it would raise significant funds to help develop this game, also it would give it recognition and flood the game with new users that would help with new mods etc.
If we work together we could vote for Outerra on "greenlight" it would be easier to purchase and allow more users to join our community.

Please consider this i don't want to see Outerra die due to lack of funds or following.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Re: Introduce Outerra to Steam with Greenlight
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:31:28 am »

I like the concept. Brano and Co. have plans for "Kickstarter" down the track but I agree, attention is what is needed these days to help with momentum although I do not know completely what Brano and Co. are doing behind the scenes nor what plans they have moving forward but I do know from what I can understand of it all is that it won't be dying any time soon.

Cheers,

K.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:12:27 am »

Been thinking about Greenlight too, and while the preparations for that would be less demanding than a Kickstarter campaign, I believe the same thing holds for it - there must be a basic gameplay first to attract the users. People we've got here are mostly simulator fans and are quite patient as such.
After the gameplay works, Greenlight is just an advertisement platform, that should be utilized.

There are some other things that need to be resolved for it though - for example, right now the Steam overlay crashes in OT because it can't handle the decoupled rendering loop. Actually, right now it probably doesn't work at all, since we are blocking all these apps that hook onto the OT's rendering loop because they were causing intermittent crashes that made OT look like unstable.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »

I have not once had a crash while using the Steam Overlay with Outerra.  ;D  (Though the friends status popups flicker as they move up and back down.)

Yeah, Greenlight is mainly just an advertisement at first.  If you're gonna go with Kickstarter, ya gotta do both.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:46 am »

Man, steam is a nice platform, but do you really want that? Steam would dictating the behaviour of update cycles. So no quick updates if stuff got finished. Instead you have to wait til steam gives its ok for an update. Thats stupid. Why losing full control of project behaviour?

Maybe i am wrong. But i read blogs of other indie games which wanted to try the steam way. And they were disappointed about the restrictions. Think about it. Outerra is bigger than steam and doesnt need a steam cage.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:08:37 am »

Steam gets a bad wrap.. All it is, is an initial start point. All updates would still happen through Outerra.exe.. Just go look how Arma2 and Arma3 are handled. All Steam has to do is get you the installer and nothing else. Hell you can move some games out completely and just launch the EXE from the folder. STEAM IS NOT THE DEVIL!!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Chaoz

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:27:12 am »

Are you sure?? I've been talking  to those priests lately and they seem to be pretty sure of it ....

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 02:55:17 am »

I never said, that steam is the devil. I like it a lot. But i fear the restrictions which they could dictate to outerra. Thats all. They can say how the devs shall communicate with their community. This was said by another dev, but i didnt remember which one. Wolfire, Notch or the guy of infinity. I take this statement serious and you should do that also. Check this fact(s) first before getting the project to greenlight.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 03:15:31 am »

I've only read why Minecraft is not on Steam, but that's pretty vague on details. If it was just selling caps and a similar stuff ...

To be safe, there could be some kind of a lead-in game that utilizes Steam platform and can be upgraded to a normal version, but clearly this has to be ok with their terms of service.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:18:42 pm »

They're getting better.  Hell, Planetside 2 can is on Steam (or, has an official option to get it through Steam), but the updates are mostly done through the game's launcher/Planetside 2.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:15 pm »

Outerra is bigger than steam and doesnt need a steam cage.
I second that.
I don't much like steam. I feel it like the big brother is watching you.  8) Steam control every small step, whatever you do!  ::)

No, that's really not my thing.  >:(
Resident of Outerra

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 02:02:00 pm »

I personally don't want to have to start Steam up to run Outerra (although I won't bore people with why I don't like Steam)... and at the same time, isn't the rumour of the best-graphics game in existence, with the possibility to do anything you want to do a huge plus? You can get gamers whisper the myths to each other. When they see this site they'd go mad and buy it.

Also, if you were to go through Steam, I feel you'd need at least two simulators and a game as a package, with another brought out each month perhaps. An Outerra Library of sorts.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:34 pm »

the best-graphics game in existence

Sorry.  I hate to say this, but it's not.  That shouldn't really be a bullet point anyways.  At least not put that way.

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:55 pm »

Sure, sure, Battlefield 4 looks pretty, but is that grass simulated correctly? On a world-wide scale? Depending what tech comes our way regarding the 'average' video card/processor, Outerra still has the potential to be the best.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »

the best-graphics game in existence

Sorry.  I hate to say this, but it's not.  That shouldn't really be a bullet point anyways.  At least not put that way.

... i still think of it as a potential G-mod / Mil-Sim go planetary scale ... no need to have the best looks whyte that argument!  ;D     Still isnt finished yet, who knows what has Cameni stored for us in his mind and behind the BIG RED DOOR in his place, that no one shall touch.  ;) ... and when it gets to interstellar/galaxy scale, i surely will wont to have some physic-paradoxes to be implemented. (will wait till my beard looks like Gandalf´s)  8)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: [1] 2