Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: What They should do with the project!  (Read 7988 times)

NetroShark

• Hello world
What They should do with the project!
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:31 pm »

Personally, after exploring the program all I can say is WOW!

If I were you guys this is what I would do.

1. Release the engine for a cheap price on Steam

2. Create Different types of games that can be played on the engine and sell the games as dlcs on steam.
  (ask community what they would like)

3. Treat the Engine as the console and the dlc's as games

4. release a creation kit/creative mode DLC.

5. Using the Steam workshop system users can show the mods/ Environment/maps they have made. Depending on the DLCS they have bought depends on what mods/ creative items they can use/ create with. ( if they own a medieval dlc but not a Space dlc they can't create space ships but if they own both they can create spaceships and medieval Forts on the same map/ same thing with downloading the users made mods)

6. Make a program were users can create there own landscape and import it into the game.

7.  Keep up with community

8. Thanks for reading and good luck!

Jagerbomber

Re: What They should do with the project!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »

Yeah, Steam Workshop would be pretty sweet.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Pyroman31FF

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:32:26 am »

1:  They released the engine already for a cheap price on their own, no need for steam. Plus, as consumer there is not really the need to buy the engine itself but the products running on it. The ones who already bought the engine so far are developers or supporters but if you just want to play the games for this engine, you don't need her.

2: Creating games is not task of the enginedevelopers but from the gamedevs. If the enginedevs make games they are more like tec. demos. But real games need so much further work than just creating objects and make them move inside a landscape. Why should an enginedev, working as provider for the sourcematerial for the games, take the hassle of creating the games?

3: See 2. Games will be made by different developers and they most likely won't sell you the engine prior selling the game. Such depencies would kill the whole idea. We are not talking about projects like DCS or FSX where external devscontribute their projects to the whole thing as module and have it implemented in the whole system. OT based games are not related to each other in the way DCS Modules are.

4: To some stage it is already posssible to implement your own stuff in the engine/world.

5: To create objects you will need tools which are not bound to any dlc's. As long as 3d modelling programs like Milkshape are out there you would cut your own arm if you spend time in creating an own piece, limited to your own engine. Everyone would bypass it.

6: That might already be possible too.

7: Future will tell, right now they have close relations.

8: Not for me to reply at.

And Jagerbomber, could you do me a favor?
I guess you refere to the german term for fighterbomber/attackaircraft?
Please rename it to "Jagdbomber".
All else is disgusting and a bit insulting for every nativ germanspeaking user here.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:01 am »

Hello Netroshark,

your "proposals" are so obvious that i am forced to link the following blog entry. Sry, but your post is bad for this project.

http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/05/you-have-an-idea-for-a-game-heres-why-nobody-cares/

Why?
- I am pretty sure that two guys who are abled to create this monstrous engine are also abled to think what to do with that engine. They dont need these kind of moneymaking proposals. Even if they are very unrealistic.

- Why they should release the engine on steam now? You earn more money with licence fees. Dont think in short terms.

- You cannot create game logic at the moment. So what do you want with it? You can import models. Yeah. Thats nice, but not a game.

Actually i am afraid that these guys are NOT you. They would betray the idea of outerra for money. Please feel free to create your own engine. You can do anything you want with it. Sell it to steam. I dont care about. But dont try to dictate your foolish ideas to this project. The damage impact would be a kind to high.

And if am honest your ideas arent new. Surely there will be many kinds of games with this engine. Its done when its done. There is no need for a changed road map.

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 05:09:15 am »

Its done when its done. There is no need for a changed road map.
Great words in a time, who nobody have patience with so many things. Money makes the world go round.

For me the most important point are quality. And quality takes time, sometimes a lot of time.
Resident of Outerra

Pyroman31FF

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:13:29 am »

Yeah, i expect the OT F16 (rivaling BMS) during the next 8 mons. We have to be patient till then.

mctash

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:49 am »

And Jagerbomber, could you do me a favor?
I guess you refere to the german term for fighterbomber/attackaircraft?
Please rename it to "Jagdbomber".
All else is disgusting and a bit insulting for every nativ germanspeaking user here.

Are you sure it's not a reference to the this?

Pyroman31FF

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:09:30 am »

Then the creators of Jägerbombs should be punished alongside him.
(btw, due to ridiculous reasons i am not allowed by my country to watch this movies unless i hide my ass :) )

mctash

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:17 am »

Ah yes, I forgot about the marvelous GEMA. They are infamous. The Jager part comes from the fact the "bomb" is a shot of Jägermeister.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:08:40 am by mctash »