Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Floating Pine Trees in the Grand Canyon.  (Read 3956 times)

Tracker

Floating Pine Trees in the Grand Canyon.
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »

I've been playing around with the latest free demo.
I know that terrain and trees are procedurally placed, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean things are random. I can stop and start the game multiple times and the trees are always in the same place.

This only makes sense. You don't want an online game that lets you hide behind a tree, and an opponent sees you because his trees are placed differently than yours.

I was flying around the Grand Canyon and found some floating pine trees on some of the high knife edge ridges and high outcroppings. I'm assuming that this is reproducible by anyone typing in the following coordinates

Latitude.........36deg. 00min. 35.00sec.
Longitude...-111deg. 59min. 20.00sec.
Altitude.......2.0km.
Heading.....332deg.
Pitch............10deg.

I tried to take a picture with F8, but I don't have a "screenshot directory", at least I can't find it. Isn't that the directory where PNG pictures are supposed to be saved in....ScreenShot?
Does the "free demo" allow, video recording or screen shots?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Floating Pine Trees in the Grand Canyon.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:02 am »

Screenshots are stored in OT data directory, not program directory. Look in c:\users\yourwinname\outerra\screenshots
It stores JPG files with embedded GPS info, it's then possible to jump into the captured screenshots by dragging the JPG file over to the outerra.exe, although right now there's a bug and the camera isn't rotated the same way upon loading.

Both screenshot and video capture work in the demo mode too.

Tracker

Re: Floating Pine Trees in the Grand Canyon.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:18:59 pm »

OK. I found the video and screenshots directories.
I forgot that when I installed the demo, I set up a directory "E:\anterworld" as the holder of extra stuff.
The video and screenshot directories are in there.

I downloaded the video comverter zip. The screenshot and video capabilities are awesome.             

I played around a bit more with the floating pines.
I noticed that not only do they float...but as I rotate the camera up and down, the pines as well as the rock disappears at certain angles only to reappear as I rotate even higher.
You have to get closer to the rock an trees to make them disappear and reappear while pitching the camera angle up and down.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:21:33 pm by Tracker »