Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Roads from google maps  (Read 4466 times)

avalon

Roads from google maps
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if road information from google maps (since there is a google maps browser integrated already) can be used to automatically create vector roads on the landscape. It would be very cool to see the complete world wide road system as you fly over the fields :).

I recently bought the alpha because I think this is a cool project. Any chance we can get an overview of the things you're working on at the moment?  I had something like this in mind, simple and clean: http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/Progress

Keep up the good work!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Roads from google maps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »

There were several discussions about the road import already, you can search for "osm roads" to get some of them.
In short, OpenStreetMaps come with a usable vector database; once there's an importer it will be possible to import and enable the OSM road network (and possibly more, like the fields/pastures and other data).

A tracker for stuff being worked on .. probably wouldn't work. Too many open things, some classified, often times the tasks change dynamically (like for twentieth time I had to interrupt working on the biomes because other things are more important for the first commercial use of the engine). Not the least - we aren't disciplined enough to update such a tracker regularly :)

Excrubulent

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:41:07 am »

Not the least - we aren't disciplined enough to update such a tracker regularly :)

Haha, I know what you mean. ;)

Just bought the alpha - don't know why I put it off so long.  I'm really psyched to hear that OSM data might be supported in the future.  I love the way X-Plane did it, and have wanted drivable roads like that for a VERY long time.

eisenopferd

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:23 am »

because other things are more important for the first commercial use of the engine).
Can U tell us more about the first commercial use? Is there another thread?
i5 2400 ; AMD 6950 Eyefinity6
i3 4160 ; intel 4400

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:00 am »

Unfortunately we're bound by agreements and can't publish anything prematurely. It will be probably revealed next year.

eisenopferd

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:13:24 pm »

congratulation for this success and good luck.
i5 2400 ; AMD 6950 Eyefinity6
i3 4160 ; intel 4400