Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Building a Tatra8x8 in Gmod  (Read 19825 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Building a Tatra8x8 in Gmod
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:45:05 pm »

If I wanted one sandbox's features copied over to an OT physics engine it would be Gmod's feature-set with none of the fail of the source engine (weight affecting constraint strength, Huge scale of items, Collision issues). I am sure bullet's physics could handle the simple collisions better then source anyways.

Here is a screen of the Drivetrain I found

and one of the copy I built. Video coming soon.

[youtube]USu92FICUXI[/youtube]
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »

Pretty cool.
I'm thinking how to make such physics sandbox more effective. Normally you'd write a specialized code for handling the chassis, that fits the model. Assembling it from a heap of parts isn't nearly as much effective, especially when the structure is interpreted dynamically. Hmm ..

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:23:42 pm »

What would be needed is the ability to "attach" meshes so that after assembling a chassis out of say 50 props, they could perma-weld together and become one prop in the eyes of the physics engine with no constraints. Then the moving parts of a suspension can be added to that. Taking all the physics out of the 50 individual props yet still having there outer collisions faces intact.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:28:41 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
What would be needed is the ability to "attach" meshes so that after assembling a chassis out of say 50 props, they could perma-weld together and become one prop in the eyes of the physics engine with no constraints.
That shouldn't be too hard: there's a similar concept in 3D modeling, IIRC.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:27:07 am »

I was actually somewhat confused by the video (I think it was the other people shooting things up though).  Am I understanding it correctly that you're taking individual pieces and (in a nutshell) shooting them together to create working physics?  An interesting concept, and has a lot of cool possibilities for design and user-level customization.  And beats the socks off trying to model the same thing in lightwave, adding the motion channels, and cobbling it all together to import into an engine :D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 03:54:17 am »

Video of the working CHassis. It was lost however due to the TB duper not working properly. The one I rebuilt isn't as stable but hit is less floppy.

[youtube]Mzpo_nCiMN4[/youtube]

Vicious713

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:31:39 am »

I've been meaning to ask, what are the four gear combo things meant to do? Is it like a limited slip kind of setup, or are they doing something else? While on the subject, you ever make a decent universal joint?
3d Modeler, Sketch Artist and Level Designer

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:41:19 pm »

They can act as either a differential or a gear reduction. They serve both purposes on that tatra frame. U joints are difficult and usually fail in all forms. They require either 2 advance ballsockets that must be spawned at precisely the same orientation with the world. Or use 3 props and axis and hope it can dup. Haven't tried in a long while and with tb dup it may be more possible.

here is all you need to know http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Gmod11/

Vicious713

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:00:41 pm »

Ya i got a mini universal working pretty all right, but the prop between the props that's being used as the axis has to be rather heavy for it to be stable.. Slowly getting back into the swing of gmod, i can't figure out my elastic settings, lol.

That CVT really blows my mind O.o Wish there was a better way to show off what it can do. Are these new gears with PHX or did you find a nicer set of gears to play with?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:38 pm »

Quote from: Vicious713
Ya i got a mini universal working pretty all right, but the prop between the props that's being used as the axis has to be rather heavy for it to be stable.. Slowly getting back into the swing of gmod, i can't figure out my elastic settings, lol.

That CVT really blows my mind O.o Wish there was a better way to show off what it can do. Are these new gears with PHX or did you find a nicer set of gears to play with?

The Gears are new and not part of PHX. Just search gears on garrysmod.org

Dont ever use elastics again. Wire Hydro's now have inputs for Constant and Dampening. Plus being able to adjust their lengths helps loads.... get it.. loads..

Vicious713

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:18 am »

pfffffahsdjasjdlas if you told me that half a year ago it would have been enough reason to dl gmod again on it's own!  =O

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:38 am »

Quote from: Vicious713
if you told me that half a year ago

Good News. Its not that old of an update. Maybe 2 months. I don't know I was on a Gmod Break as well.

Vicious713

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:17:41 am »

I'm at work atm, so i can't post screens, but back at home i was trying to work on some tatra style drive train myself, going for one of the older style cars than a truck though, just 4 wheels, haha. I'd like to hop on your server again and show ya what i got, because, at the moment, i think my lack of expierience with gears and that differential are bringing it down. Seems it wants to black hole around the differentials for some reason. Maybe you know some better gear combos too, none the less, it'd be fun. I'm just down a mic atm so vent would be a pain.