Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ford Mustang Bullet  (Read 19594 times)

bugsblake

• jedi master
Ford Mustang Bullet
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:20:20 pm »

hi all!

got my first car into outerra thanks to the help from a couple of people here!  ;D so though i would share it!

the handling needs some tweeking and the mat file and textures still need doing but its almost 3:30am here and my eyes are burning! so will update this post again when its finished.

for now here the car so you can have a play! :D hope you like it!

updated! http://www.mediafire.com/?un10htuyd49im1d

EDIT: just came back to say lol at the "needs tweeking" just drove it myself and its like its on bloody ice skates! but its late and first go at this! if anyone else wants to have a crack at the handling file PLEASE feel free! otherwise wait for the update! ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:56:34 pm by bugsblake »
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

M7

Re: Ford Mustang Bullet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 01:37:18 am »

Just played with it quickly. it has great potential, very nicely built. On the .js, i only set the driver position and on the matlb i added some glass and chrome. There's a little problem with the inside of the roof though.

Did you built it yourself?

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:24:02 am »

hi. thanks for that M7! :D looks sweet! i did notice the inside of the roof just before i passed out! no i didnt model it, was given over 100 of theses cars from a friend :) i have done some basic models in 3ds max over the years but im not able to knock up such beautiful models like this! but i can edit them quite well! my friend is away on holiday for a couple of weeks so will have to have a go at fixing the roof myself. any ideas on the best way to fix it would be sweet! :) otherwise i'll just have a go and see what i can do! all my models are in 3ds max format. im guessing outerra cant do 2 sided mats? or am i wrong? anyway will crack on with it again in a bit, just need a while to wake up! :D thanks for all your help ;)

oh yh, i noticed the car is called chassis! can i use a helper and call that mustang_bullet? will outerra like/not like that? or should i rename chassis to mustang and change it in the js file? not sure what i can and cant do with outerra yet? thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:28:52 am by bugsblake »
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:10:30 am »

Wow, thats a nice car! I cant believe how much difference can some crome do!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:33:53 pm »

oh yh, i noticed the car is called chassis! can i use a helper and call that mustang_bullet? will outerra like/not like that? or should i rename chassis to mustang and change it in the js file? not sure what i can and cant do with outerra yet? thanks
The name is taken from the model node, but you can/should rename it in the importer.

Two-sided materials aren't supported for performance reasons.

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »

ok thanks cameni!

right well i got the suspension sorted so the wheel dont drop 2 foot when it jumps! still done feel right though, will have to keep playing with damping a bit. the car sits on the ground nice now but i cant seem to stop it driving like its on ice? nothing i change makes a difference! gonna need a little help there!

anyway gonna keep going and see what happens! heres the js file as it is now but like i said, its like driving on ice!

Code: [Select]
function init_chassis()
{
    var wheelparam = {
    radius: 0.26,
    width: 0.2,
    suspension_max: 0.02,
    suspension_min: -0.16,
    suspension_stiffness: 4.0,
    damping_compression: 0.4,
    damping_relaxation: 0.14,
    slip: 0.8,
    roll_influence: 0.1
  };

this.add_wheel('wheel_FR',wheelparam);
    this.add_wheel('wheel_FL',wheelparam);
    this.add_wheel('wheel_RR',wheelparam);
    this.add_wheel('wheel_RL',wheelparam);

return {mass:1170, steering:1.0, steering_ecf:10000, centering: 0.6, centering_ecf: 10, com:{y:-0.9, x:-1.8, z:0.0}};
}
//invoked for each new instance of the vehicle
function init_vehicle(){
  this.set_fps_camera_pos({y:-1.4, x:-2, z:2.7});
}

//invoked when engine starts or stops
function engine(start){
}

const EF = 27000.0;
const BF = 28000.0;
const maxkmh = 243; 
const forceloss = EF / (0.2*maxkmh + 1);

//invoked each frame to handle the inputs and animate the model
function update_frame(dt, engine, brake, steering)
{
  var kmh = this.speed()*3.6;
  var redux = engine>=0 ? 0.2 : 0.6;
  var esign = engine<0 ? -1 : 1;
  engine = EF*Math.abs(engine);
  var force = (esign>0) == (kmh>=0)
        ? engine/(redux*Math.abs(kmh) + 1)
        : engine;
  force -= forceloss;
  force = Math.max(0.0, Math.min(force, engine));
  engine = esign*force;
  steering *=0.6;
  brake *= BF;

this.steer(-2, steering);
  this.wheel_force(-1, engine);
  this.wheel_brake(-1, brake);
  this.animate_wheels();
}
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 01:01:19 pm »

Add this value under slip

slip_lateral_coef: 1.0,

It changes the sideways grip. 1.0 means it is the same as the normal slip. I recommend higher than one so you don't understeer and slide forward. It is much better however to have the front and rear wheels separate so you can adjust the suspension and these tire values for better realism.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

M7

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 01:04:08 pm »

wow 100 models!!! of this quality? That's insane!!! Just took a closer look and the details are amazing. Do you how many polys this model have?

Two-sided materials aren't supported for performance reasons.

Not sure what this mean cause in sketchup, if i dont put a color/texture on the backside of a poly it will look transparent when looking from inside of an object. If i add color/texture to both sides, then it wont be transparent from any angle :-\ Think i will need to make a quick test to make sure.

M7

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »

Made a quick test. On the left i use color/texture on both side of mesh and they show on both sides. On the right i didn't color/texture the backside and it's transparent. So does the 2 side material mean something else?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:48:40 pm »

I guess sketchup actually generates it as two separate sides in that case. Isn't there an option for it when exporting?

M7

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:03:24 pm »

there is the option in sketchup to Export Two-Sided Faces but i normally export models with that option off. One thing i  just found though,  is that you might not be able to use normal map and maybe other mapping effect  on the backside (except diffuse) . Will have to make some more test.

edit: seems like both sides can have get all types of mapping. In the jpg i used diffuse+normal map texture. In the far box, frontside is outside the box and in the box near i flipped the sides and get exact same results
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:26:14 pm by M7 »

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 07:56:10 am »

hi guys. well as i couldnt get on outerra last night i didnt get any progress done on the mustang accept the dds textures!

the suspension still needs some work but im just stabbing at values here, dont really know what im doing! it just seems like the car takes every bump in the road as to the wheels/suspension! but at least it dont drive like its on ice now thanks to M7! :)

that 2 sided trick with sketchup is good but it dont work that way in 3ds max, but even if i have to copy part of the roof and flip it i should be able to get that done without too much trouble, just not used max much in the last year so may take me a while to get used to everything again.

also i noticed when parked next to the bmw that the mustang is about 20/30% too small so will have to scale it up a bit.

one last thing. i made the steering wheel a seprate mesh so it can turn. how is that set up? thanks

once some good progress is make i will repost it here! thanks guys ;)

oh yh. this mustang have over 300k polys! 337k i think, will check when im in max! the rest of the 100 odd cars i have are from 35k odd to 600k so not all of them be a nice as this one, did see that some will not be able to be used as missing the inside, but most are fully modeled! :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:02:55 am by bugsblake »
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 10:13:38 am »

ok gonna crack on with fixing the roof and resizing the car in max next, but got to go watch a film with the kids right now so will do that in a few hours!

i been told that putting my car node/helper in max at 0,0,0 will save me having to mess with the COM in the js file! but im thinking should my 0,0,0 on the model it self be just behind the engine in line with the foot well in the middle of the car?

thats the best COM for a front engined car if im not mistaken right?

thanks
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

M7

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »

Sounds like you have things in control now  ;D

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:14 am »

ok guys the roof is fixed, size is fixed. it sticks to the road better now but still not happy with how it handles!

im gonna go back into max and add a few bits round the doors and other places you can see through the car.

when thats all done i'll have another go with handling but im not best at this. anyway will repost fixed car later and if anyone wants to make a better handling for it, be my guest!
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Pages: [1] 2