Outerra Engine > News

IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96

<< < (9/10) > >>

petitfilou:
No worries,  it was just in case at some point some wildlife animation would be needed.    I guess you would animate herds, or flock of birds procedurally, but use hand made anims, like bird flapping its wings, deer walk cycle, etc..    like in a video game really.

Do you think developers in the future could add their own wildlife to the game? like addons for vehicles?....  like importing a deer model with run, walk anim,  then use procedural tools to create behavior, animals scattering if you get too close, etc.?

cheers.

EDIT:  I kinda repeated what mentionned really.   oops.

OGREMAN:
......... Here's a slightly newer video with camera viewing from shore....

Ohh Yeah!   This program is becoming a full time distraction ...... I LOVE IT  .... If a usable version was made available tomorrow IT WOULD STILL NOT BE SOON ENOUGH .... sooo excited at the possible use for this...

MatthewS:

--- Quote from: petitfilou ---Do you think developers in the future could add their own wildlife to the game? like addons for vehicles?....  like importing a deer model with run, walk anim,  then use procedural tools to create behavior, animals scattering if you get too close, etc.?

--- End quote ---

I reckon Outerra should offer a much lower level of support for developers.

Let developer via API do the following:-

- Create object
- Destroy object
- Set object position (heading, alt, pitch, bank)
- Set object animation (eg "walking")
- Move object along set of waypoints at given speed.
- Query object position by handle
- Query object info by object handle (eg object name, supported animations etc)
- Get list of object handles within a given radius

With those basic capabilities a 3rd party developer could write any sort of "AI" module, eg wildlife, AI aircraft with ATC control, ground crew, airport "crowds" etc etc.

IMHO its more important that Outerra supply an API with a lot of low level capabilities so that 3rd parties can "value add" rather than Outerra try to add this "value" themselves.

Tim:
For "Serious Gaming" it is better to move as much "intelligence" as possible out of the image generating software into an external host. Even better: use a standard. Check out the Common Image Generator Interface (CIGI) from Boeing (http://cigi.sourceforge.net/)

BTW: Keep up your outstanding work!!

MatthewS:

--- Quote from: Tim ---For "Serious Gaming" it is better to move as much "intelligence" as possible out of the image generating software into an external host. Even better: use a standard. Check out the Common Image Generator Interface (CIGI) from Boeing (http://cigi.sourceforge.net/)

BTW: Keep up your outstanding work!!
--- End quote ---

Exactly... hence the need for Outerra to have an API that lets 3rd party developers exercise low level control of the engine.

Sort of like what SimConnect did for FSX but make it more comprehensive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version