Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: AH-64 unflyable?  (Read 25299 times)

Cole

Re: AH-64 unflyable?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 05:10:46 am »

This uncontrollable spinning you speak of is technically called "torque". The main rotor spinning causes the helicopter to rotate. It is compensated only a small amount by the tail rotor, but can be handled easily by the pilot changing the collective of the rotor or using yaw to rotate the aircraft in the opposite direction.

Ever tried flying a chopper in X-Plane? It's not easy stuff.

Excrubulent

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 11:23:32 am »

If you want to fly with the keyboard, it's nigh impossible.  Here's a quick demo flight I recorded, which is mainly just an excuse to show off.  8)

If you watch the throttle indicator (it's actually the collective) on the bottom left, you can see I'm changing it constantly.  That's the only way to fly a chopper, with constant smooth adjustment of all your inputs.

hambo

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 03:01:31 pm »

I agree with the general consensus of the need for two modes: Easy-ish, and Realistic.

I personally love the realism that JSBSim brings, but it is hard to fly the AH-64 without a joystick so I can see why another, assisted mode is wanted by some.

Whatever you do though, don't delete or modify the current realistic model because it's great fun!

VendorX

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »

This uncontrollable spinning you speak of is technically called "torque". The main rotor spinning causes the helicopter to rotate. It is compensated only a small amount by the tail rotor, but can be handled easily by the pilot changing the collective of the rotor or using yaw to rotate the aircraft in the opposite direction.

Ever tried flying a chopper in X-Plane? It's not easy stuff.
... it should be compensated by the tail rotor - in the end, this is why the helicopter can turn left/right (of course, all depends on the wind direction ...).

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 12:29:40 pm »

Think about how awesome a game would be if different sections of the globe didn't allow arcade handling of cars and planes. You would be perfectly fine living and moving around 50% of the world and FORCED to better yourself and your control schemes to habituate the other half.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

VendorX

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 12:37:17 pm »

I don't quite understand ...

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 02:42:27 pm »

Restricted zones for only people willing to learn to actually fly the sim versions of things.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »

Yes ! Sim areas ! That would be something interesting.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

driflysh

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »

Sorry for digging out this topic but flying heli really doesn't seem realistic. I must admit that I never flew a heli but I'm an engineer working in aerospace industry, flew several flight sims and I'm flying an rc-heli (no coax, no multi-copter but a blade mcp-x) as well as an rc-plane. So I think that I have at least a slight understanding of flight physics. I see that collective- and throttle-management is quite tricky anyway but most problems in this direction would probably be solved if the "hover mode" was deactivated by default. My remaining problem is the anti-torque. While standing quitely on a constant height without horizontal speed you should be able to rotate as long as you want. But I can't. The heli always stops rotating at about 30° and flips back when I stop applying torque. Of course planes do that and if you want to fly curves with helis while having a certain horizontal speed, you have to apply cyclic left/right, of course. But while standing still I have no explanation for this behaviour.

Are the flight physics integrated correctly? Is the steering modelled correctly? Is it my mistake?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:52:14 am by driflysh »
Pages: 1 2 [3]