Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Enable Oculus Rift without Oculus rift  (Read 6359 times)

mapreciado

Enable Oculus Rift without Oculus rift
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:16:03 am »

Hi!

I would like to enable the Oculus Rift feature but just using a screen to display it or using other googles but with the same 3d effect. Is it possible?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:51:53 am by mapreciado »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Enable Oculus Rift without Oculus rift
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:50:57 am »

Right now you can enable side-by-side stereo without Oculus (alt+semicolon), but it uses different parameters as the Rift, since those are read directly from the device. But in the next build there will be possibility to override the stereo settings, enabling you to emulate it with the same ones as used by the Rift.

mapreciado

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:52:08 am »

Thank you, it will be fantastic!

Great work!!

M7

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »

Right now you can enable side-by-side stereo without Oculus (alt+semicolon), but it uses different parameters as the Rift, since those are read directly from the device. But in the next build there will be possibility to override the stereo settings, enabling you to emulate it with the same ones as used by the Rift.

So if i get a very small screen, tape it in a box fitting my head , i could make myself a dock tape version of the Rift?  ;D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:45:06 pm »

You try that but don't come back complaining when you look like this afterwards.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 03:31:48 pm »

You try that but don't come back complaining when you look like this afterwards.

Hes not going to tape lasers on the box  ;D   ... doe, you should do some eye optics research on where of the eyes and what min. refresh rate it should operate at - otherwise you can make your eyes hurt, have some "fogging vision" issues or make yourself short-sighted after longer use if inappropriate ... AND FOR THE LOVE OF MOTHER EARTH : do not try to do any function-based tweaking of the refresh frequency - you surely end up like those japanize kids catching psychosis in kino, watching some pokemon film white an special visualization frequency that russian secret mind-manipulation lab invented (true story bro).

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »

Hehe! i tried for fun to see if it's possible for the eyes to merge two images into one. So i opened an image in photoshop, made a copy and set both side by side. Then using a cardboard that i placed vertically and perpendicular to the screen, i put one eye on eachside so that each eye can look at one image only, right eye look at right image, left eye look at left image... it work!!!  If the 2 images are not too far appart, my eyes could effectively merge the two images into one.

Then i tried the same thing with a  youtube video of Oculus rift  where you get the two separate images and sure enough i was able to merge the two and i could effectively see in 3D. The only thing though is that i cant do that in full screen, the two images are too far apart but in a regular window it work fine. It's quite low res but at least you get the feeling of the real thing!!!

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

did you know if you watch them side by side 3d videos and cross your eyes, the 2 screens move apart and a 3rd starts to show between them, even a 4th if you go too far! but if you do it just enough to see the 3rd and then focus on that middle one, its 3d! without glasses! :D cool trick i learned ages ago! :P give it a try, its crazy.
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 02:59:31 am »

heh ... optics - can do.  :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.