Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread  (Read 180840 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:30:46 pm »

Although I've been following Outerra for quite a few months now, I'm amazed that few of us really "know" what others on this forum do for a living, what they're like, etc.  So I'd like to start an Introduce Yourself thread for all vets and newcomers to, well, introduce yourselves and reveal a little about your backgrounds, etc.

For my part:

My name is Christopher Shawn Smith, and I'm a 40-year old artist/writer hailing from Dallas, Texas, and a single father of a 2 and a half year old son who LOVES the Tatra truck videos from the Outerra engine (Daddy, Where he go????  He's going home, son! :)).  For the last 10 years, I've been employed in various industries, including animal welfare and the tech industry.  Back in 1999, my brother gifted me my very first real PC, and I was almost instantly hooked on the internet (leading to one of my online monickers, Wired2theNet).  I've been a PC gamer for the last 11 years, mostly in the realm of RTSs, FPSs, and MMOs.  I have a web development background, having started my own company back in 2000, but have since moved on to hosting websites instead of design.  Back in 2006 or '07, I began work in Animal Welfare, working with the SPCA and Animal Control, before leaving it for tech positions (animal welfare is a very sad and emotionally troubling industry to work in ... and not recommended unless you have a very VERY stout heart.  I got into it quite by accident because of my typing abilities (90 wpm), and although I enjoyed it at first, I quickly realized that I didn't have the heart to continue.  I still love it, but won't ever go back).

Recently, I've been delving heavily into Photoshop painting (my background is in traditional fantasy oil painting), trying to improve my knowledge and skills.  I've also been experimenting with video editing and compilation, to improve my portfolio.

Although I don't have a "technical programming" background, some of the many things Outerra shows translates readily in some of the 3d packages I've worked with, including Lightwave and Maya3d.

I'm currently working on a number of novel projects, the main one being a fantasy trilogy very loosely based on the Native Americans, called "The Journeys of the Greywolf."  The project began after watching a PBS television series entitled How The West Was Lost, which was from the point of view of Native Americans.  The story revolves around an "elven" nation overtaken by "human" (or the white man) expansion and subjugation.  Although started back in 1992, I never progressed very far until the last two years, while I tried to develop an interesting storyline for the main character: "The Greywolf."  (A teaser video with stock footage -- all of which will be replaced as new art is created -- can be viewed here: http://www.cshawnsmith.com/scout/index.html.  Still a LOT of work to be done ... this is more of a storyboard than anything.)

Hopefully, this next year will see the completion of the first rough draft of the first novel, "Cry of the Wolf," and its subsequent publication.  The Outerra engine interests me because of the possibilities it has in helping me deliver a fully realized 3d environment for the novel.  I want my readers to be able to see all the various locations in the novels, and experience it as if they were really there ... something that hasn't ever truly been done before in the realm of fiction, outside of movies.

Quote from: grabacr 31770
So you would write it with locations in Outerra in mind, which the reader can then see for themselves in real (virtual) life?

A little more ambitious than that :).  Since Outerra uses height maps to generate the basic terrain, I'm hoping I'll be able to plug my own height maps that I've created in Photoshop to create a unique world.  I already have one height map for an island continent made, which I was using in Lightwave 3d.  But I can't get down to the resolution I need (I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what it is yet).  Outerra would make my job a LOT easier :)

Soo .... who are you?  And why are you here? :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

razgriz 53992

Re: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:52:01 am »

Good day.

Good thread, we can see who everyone is.

I'm Ollie, I'm 14 and live in Gloucestershire, England (that bit of the world where it always rains, and you get 7 minutes of sun and snow a year).

Still at school obviously. Working towards my GCSEs, I'm doing maths, English literature, English language, 3 sciences, Spanish, art, history and geography.

I love aviation, have since an early age, and I'm working towards a career as a pilot in the RAF. If anything goes wrong medically (air forces are very medically strict), I'll either go into civil, or, more likely, air traffic control in the RAF. I am part of the CCF (combined cadet force) at school, in the RAF section, and have 1 and a half flight hours in a Grob Tutor, with more soon (I'm chuffed considering I'm still pretty young and it's all free).

Anyway, my other love is music. I play piano and guitar mainly, but bass and drums too. I'm in a band and I've written a few songs. Haven't gigged though yet, will do soon. I love (alternative) rock music mainly, my 3 favourite bands being Them Crooked Vultures, Radiohead and Muse.

So that's pretty much me.

Regards,
Ollie

In regards to your post, the novel idea sounds amazing. So you would write it with locations in Outerra in mind, which the reader can then see for themselves in real (virtual) life? Wow :D. You could even create the location to what you want it to look like, with buildings and all, then release it as a patch.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:27:11 am »

So why am I here .. ;)

For ages the terrain rendering driven by fractals was just my hobby. I regret not keeping the very first screenshots from the terracing "terrain" I was getting on Commodore 64, or was it on my first PC XT? Not even sure anymore.
But here, a younger screen from 2001, that iteration of terrain generator has laid the crude foundation for terrain generator that is used today, but it's been a long way from it to what is now.

As far as I can remember I wanted to have a world that could be explored and lived in. If it was to become any kind of simulator, it would be a simulator of civilization, or maybe a simulator of a lone man surviving in unknown or a changed world. More the latter, I guess. I could say that the driving force was similar to Shawn's, I've always been fan of sci-fi stories that managed to portrait the world as an intriguing place for living one's life in. For example A Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R.R. Martin.

I am coming from the northern part of our country - Orava region, that is a hilly and largely forested land. if it reminds you in any way of Outerra's default landscape, now you know why that is :)
Our court modeler Chyshney comes from there as well, lived just across the street and he remembers my early attempts although he probably didn't think it will get this far.

After graduating (automation at technical university) I ended up by a chance in company that was doing enterprise database applications, what was really absurd as I always disliked the databases and the boring enterprise world. I would not have stayed there long weren't it for my very meek boss, whom I relatively easily convinced that making our own multidimensional database engine for analytical processing is the right way to go. Long story short, I stayed with the company for some 13 years, gaining a special status almost from the beginning that allowed me to work mostly on my own designs, albeit it never had anything to do with games or graphics. From one point of view it was an unexpected opportunity to work on new stuff driven by myself, but from another one it was all wasted time as the company was absolutely incapable of selling their own products. But I digress.

I met with Angrypig during the last year in there. We were both dissatisfied, but both working on background projects - he was making a general game engine (not the first one in his life) and I was working on yet another iteration of my terrain engine. It's rather odd how our gears clicked together. Each of us specializes in different areas - his is the core engine above the OpenGL, async task processor and basically all the low level core functionality of the engine. Also his is the web browser integration, object rendering and import, JSBSim integration, and recently he started working also on a tree generator. My parts include terrain and atmosphere rendering, terrain generation, roads, water, ground vehicle physics and from the invisible stuff the shader compiler and data processors.

As for my goals, I mainly want to work on stuff where I can be creative, hoping it will be appreciated by people that want to live their dreams that are somewhat similar to those dreams of mine :)

Edit:

Yeah and my profile image comes from my enterprise days too, maybe we lasted in there so long because of our almost daily Atomic Bomberman sessions. Always playing with the same color, I was once nicknamed "Orange Death" by an unlucky burning victim :)

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »

Love the profile image explanation :).  I've always wondered about that.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 06:08:59 pm »

By cameni's request, I'll now do my introduction.

I joined here after being referred here by a squadron friend from an Il-2 1946 squad I used to be in.  To be honest, my only experience with graphics engines is playing a few computer games (mostly sims) and some dabbling with Bryce 5.5 when I was younger.  I even managed to make a few clips lasting a few seconds, but nothing very impressive, just a few rough shapes turned into a starship moving through an open area.

And as for Sisi... :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_of_Bavaria

Every time I see her, my eyes feel like firecrackers have exploded in front of them.  So she was a natural choice for featuring in my custom title.  It's sad that she didn't have a happier life, but she does have a cult following today.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:19:12 pm »

Yeah, Steve here with an important update... I don't remember how I got here! May have been my friend Dr Nick who links "awesome" constantly on my Ventrilo. ventrilo://nyc02.artofwarcentral.com:8645/servername=ZeosNYC*Server

Bit about me I studied Architecture for a while but and ended up working towards a Networking Degree. The tech industry is such a soulless place accept for a few fields. Now I have shifted my focus towards my actual love, Home Theater. I guess it's just my compulsiveness that has always drawn me to adjust TV's in other peoples homes since I was a weee lad. I am in fact a quality whore. I like having neighbors complain when Jurassic Park is on and bragging about my monitor. Gives me a sense of accomplishment. Its why I am obsessed with Outerra to tell the truth. It's going to be the best game engine ever and I must be part of it.

Edited for drunkenness..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 04:48:48 am »

Edited for drunkenness..

:lol:

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:34:56 pm »

Hey I'm Cháoss, I'm 25 (or at least I will be in January) and live in Sheffield, England. I'm a games environment developer and texture artist

I'm more or less obsessed with virtual worlds and computer games (realistic/apocalyptic ones) and my dream is to create a vast realistic apocalyptic world for people to explore, live, survive, party, build and fight in (more of a virtual world than a game), the idea is to be more of a sandbox game than a game with xp, goals, missions or watnot, i would like it to be as realistic and vast as possible.

Anyway more about me, I love partying, raving, exploring abandoned buildings, going to the pub and being with friends.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:04:58 am »

Nice visuals, and welcome :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 04:33:57 am »

Actually Chaoss, the Outerra guys on more then one occasion have mentioned not having a texture artist. Plus you can't get more post apocalyptic then 5000+ years after man when all the ashes and charred earth has been torn away by time replaced with bunnies and blue skies. The kind of post apocalyptic place I can live with :P
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:05:14 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Actually Chaoss, the Outerra guys on more then one occasion have mentioned not having a texture artist. Plus you can't get more post apocalyptic then 5000+ years after man when all the ashes and charred earth has been torn away by time replaced with bunnies and blue skies. The kind of post apocalyptic place I can live with :P

Ahh you see the kind of apocalyptic i was thinking is the earth burned by a solar flare, I'd say about 100 years  -/+ in the future (with the apocalypse happening about 50 years -/+ in the past), with a ravaged landscape and mostly dead vegetation.

But the idea of being able to explore an earth mostly untouched by man sounds pretty awesome, especially if it includes caves, continents, seas etc. It would be awesome being able to build on an unpopulated earth for a multiplayer game

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

as a compromise he could implement Detroit back onto the map in its current form and make sure the fallout has mutated the current animals to be hyper-bears and parasitic seagulls and such.

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:09 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
as a compromise he could implement Detroit back onto the map in its current form and make sure the fallout has mutated the current animals to be hyper-bears and parasitic seagulls and such.

lol theres far more places on earth far worse than detroit (I have been there once), try Bristol or Glasgow for example

Puffmac

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:50 pm »

Quote from: Chaoss
lol theres far more places on earth far worse than detroit (I have been there once), try Bristol or Glasgow for example

I'm Andrew and I'm 16 from Glasgow, Scotland. :P

I'm a 'serious flight simmer' and am also now actively training for my PPL. I've not got much in the way of games design but I am fluent in the languages of PHP and SQL, and have been known to script in languages such as Pawn and Lua for various games. Though I do also like any game that is fun or interesting. My hobbies are of coure: partying, oh and flying.  :D

Emil

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 04:06:40 pm »

maybe i should have done this when i first joined about a week ago, but now i'm finally here!

My name is Emil And i was born back in may, 1994 and I'm from Anderstorp, Sweden.

Well i saw this in engine during the summer last year if i remember it right. and i have too say that i got really impressed by the physics on the tatra truck. So i started subscribing on the progressing and i've only become more and more impressed (especially when i noticed it was a global engine  :lol: ). and well.. by the vehicle physics i got to my mind of the perfect forestry simulator i've allways dreamt about... and allso if i'd be able to maybe come up with some good ideas like deformeble ground so if it's raining and some place is really muddy you could take the tatra truck for example and drive back and forth, and make lots and lots of deep tracks and maybe eventually the truck would get stuck, basicly just that if nothing that has with forestry to do would be in the game/engine when released i could maybe mod it in and also add reality with deformeble ground. and... well enough talk about that.. so later on when i found a link for the forums i singed up right away.

Glad to be on here now, cheers!
\'\'Life is like a Zeppelin, When the air goes out you hit the ground\'\'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7