Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread  (Read 180850 times)

Jangalomph

Re: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

Hi,

I'm Nicholas "Jangalomph" Seavert.

I've been modding and designing games for 4 years now. I'm a curious designer looking for new prospects and ideas to get into basically. I'm still in high school, so I have a ways to go! None the less, I have a portfolio http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33235&start=0

I have a game that I do effects, cinematic, and some coding on.. But mainly particles!
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com

I have my own website
http://biomassproductions.webs.com

I have my own mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/sabotage

:lol:

On the other hand.. I've been learning UDK, Cryengine 2. I know Valves Source Engine like the back of my hand. I previously have looked into LeadWerks engine and Ogre. I hope to be-able to do something in Outerra sooner or later!

None the less.. I just like to blow things up with a virtual game world!  :D

As you can tell I'm very interested in game design and art!

Particles!

"I hope to see particles in this engine one day too!"

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:05 pm »

Hi, I am Redrobes and I am from the south west part of the UK. I am a programmer doing a lot of graphics work - esp OpenGL and have written some apps which i'll talk about in a mo... I am also a community leader of the Cartographers Guild where we all make maps - mostly 2D but some 3D stuff also. Some of the members work there is exceptional. I am also an admin at Me-DEM which is the middle earth digital elevation modeling project.

I have written ViewingDale which to me seems like a parallel project to this one in every way except that it is in 2D. Its a pan and (deep) zoom interactive map browser with seamless transition through the 2D maps and icons that it shows. Its also networked so that you can play RPG games through in as a "virtual table top" or VTT, in real time with chat etc. So you can check out that on its website or go and see a you tube vid like this:

Incidentally that video is a collection of maps from the Cartographers Guild community driven world map.

Next up is an application I wrote for terrain synthesis called GeoTerSys. Its unreleased since its a command line driven terrain scripting language and on the whole I discovered that people found it too hard to write scripts for it. It is multi processor, quite quick and powerful tho but even I as its writer would say its not a barrel of laughs to use. Its main aim is top calculate fluid flow over terrain so that it models rain, rivers, snow, glaciers etc and generates some reasonably authentic erosion for it.

Finally, and I think this where the beef is, as an admin of Me-Dem a small group of us are trying to model the terrain of Middle Earth to a tremendously accurate degree. Our member 'Monks' uses Global Mapper to make the terrain using contours keeping to noted reference maps of the fantasy world and trying to stick to proper geological physics so that the rivers run where they should. The whole DEM is geo referenced such that it fits on a globe. My part in this project is to take the exported rastered DEMs and push them through GeoTerSys and try to get this app to provide better rivers, the snow and glaciers and all the other terrain simulation effects that it can. Our expectation is (or maybe 'was' now...) to generate the masks from this to put into Terragen via XML to render this DEM with its procedural textures for final views.

We have always wanted an engine which could handle the large data set that were producing but have so far not come up with anything. Our best chance so far would look like Ogre, the AdVantage engine, or WorldWind. The 3D world engine is something we have put off and were going to think about as time goes on.

The web site for me-dem is split between two sites but the galleries at present are on www.me-dem.me.uk In there are a load of GeoTerSys images, ViewingDale ones and also loads of images of the Middle Earth DEM model so far.

So, the million dollar question is... is there a demo of the world engine that can be used to try it out with our data set and fly around Middle Earth ? Were beta testers for several apps like World Machine etc because we seem to break everything with it. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:52 pm »

Welcome, Redrobes. Making artificial but artistically backed worlds always has been one of our goals, as opposed to purely random creations. We even have a planet maker based on OT engine in our future plans. Some related discussion is here.

As for the question - there's no public demo at the moment, the engine is still in development. It also only accepts elevation data for now, that must be first processed into a special format that is optimized for the engine. The processing tool is unoptimized though, and the job takes it quite a long time. Anyway, if you wanted to use your data with it, you'd have to georeference your data - placing it somewhere on a virtual planet. Current version is only capable of using datasets that form a longitude/latitude grid of terrain tiles.
What physical resolution do your data have got?

Btw, the ever hungry dogs from Tolkien's Estate aren't after you yet? ;)

(Discussion redirected here)

George

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »

Hello, I'm The DooD and I'm a student from central-south western UK. Currently doing an IT course at college, but in my spare time I'm trying to learn C++ and also immerse myself in the world of game development/programming.
I'd been following Infinity since 2006 and I was under the impression that Infinity was the only game that would have a procedurally generated universe, aside from small projects that people had done with little functionality. I stumbled across Outerra the other day while checking out something imaginatively called "Space Engine". It's a simulator that procedurally generates a few galaxies and star clusters and you can fly through them at various speeds, but the planets themselves aren't developed at all.

Anyway I wasn't enjoying waiting for tiny tidbits of information on Infinity, but it seems like the developers of this engine are a little more in tune with the community/fan base, which makes me very happy. I think this may end up being my favourite procedural generation engine instead. It appears I found out about this quite far along the development line, although I don't know if that means it's any closer to completion, but I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this as well now!

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »

Welcome!  I'm taking a C++ course myself.  I'm interested in the gameplay mechanics and am an ideas man.  I'm out of ideas, though, so I haven't had much reason to post lately.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 07:58:16 am »

Welcome, DooD

I can't judge how far to completion the Infinity is; their development journals predate ours by 4 years though of course it doesn't really say anything much about it :)
We would like to release a demo and alpha of our sandbox+ game sometime this year, preferably sometime this summer if we don't get delayed by some other contracts.

Oh, and we welcome new C++ souls :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 11:41:11 am »

Quote from: cameni
if we don't get delayed by some other contracts

Interesting slip. Would any of those specialty interests be mentioned here or are we only to guess.

EDIT: Also Welcome DooD
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:03 pm »

Well, there are always some entities nagging us about the engine. Some are small and some are big, and who knows when something is going to happen, even with the engine in alpha state. So just saying ;)

CJay

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 02:16:09 pm »

Hello there, my name is CJay, actual name Ben (CJay relates to my middle name of Charles James, yes very middle class, what what)

I've been following Outerra for quite a few months now, and i'm amazed at what this team is trying to create and i'm very confident that you will succeed in your task.

Anyway a little about myself, I'm 21 from South West UK, The Bristol area - and i'm currently studying at University which is thankfully coming to an end now, and i'm a special constable for the Avon and Somerset police.

I'm a friendly individual, who would like to help you chaps in anyway i can really, i may not have the excellent modelling or artwork skills, but i'll be damned if i don't contribute to this amazing project in one form or another!

So i'd like to say hello to everyone new and the veterans, and after just looking at this forum for the past few months i thought i'd join your little community, and hopefully share some input with you chaps!

Sooooo Hello!  :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »

Hi Ben, welcome here :)

CJay

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:30 pm »

Hello back, Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Quote from: Chaoss
Quote from: ZeosPantera
as a compromise he could implement Detroit back onto the map in its current form and make sure the fallout has mutated the current animals to be hyper-bears and parasitic seagulls and such.

lol theres far more places on earth far worse than detroit (I have been there once), try Bristol or Glasgow for example

Bit harsh haha, Bristol isn't THAT bad, just stay out of:
Knowle West
Withywood
Easton
St Pauls (some bits)
Bedminster (some bits)
Stapleton
Southmead (some bits)
Lawrence Weston (some bits)

:D
The rest of my city is nice!

Jheuloh

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 02:16:45 am »

To introduce my interest in Outerra:

After hearing of this world-development program known as Outerra from a friend, who gave me a link to it after having listened to me yesterday ponder the question of how one might develop a circular world for a game with a total map-space the size of the earth or larger. Although I lack proper knowledge of how to truly develop a game beyond rudimentary 3D skills for now, I've had various ideas hovering within me, one of which I've put down on paper, and another of which I am in the process of putting down on paper (the latter idea being the one which necessitated my question of 'can earth-sized worlds be done?)

The Jello Bowl... :lol:

*Jiggle*

To introduce myself:

If you haven't noticed, I have a gelatinous theme going, a product of a nickname I received on a place called 'The Elder Scrolls Alliance.' My permanent nickname there is 'Jello'; hence, I decided to create an identity known as, 'The Jello Bowl.' Inside this gelatinous substance is a knowledge of general herpetoculture (the keeping of reptiles and/or amphibians as pets) and biology, alongside a healthy dose of ideas inspired by dreams of the day and of the night, showcased on a near daily basis in the form of illustrations. Also a practicing 3D modeler, animator, and texture artist. The Jello Bowl can be summarized as 50% artist & 50% scientist (or at least, wants to be that) :P. Dotting my interest in biology & art is an interest in robotics, which I have a class for, and game development, as illustrated above.

Fine Print: I jiggle when I'm poked. Poke the Jello Bowl! Also, unexpected change in real life makes my brain sizzle.

Lives in a Jheuloh Bowl, under a Rock. Beware the Guard Lizard(s).
<O> ,.., <O>

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 02:29:55 am »

Welcome, jelly substance :)

And what game did you want an earth-sized world for?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:08 am »

Don't think we don't know who you are....
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jheuloh

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 03:07:09 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Welcome, jelly substance :)

And what game did you want an earth-sized world for?

I had an idea in which a player plays as a fictional flying animal which looks like a "wyvern" (explained to be a mutated monitor lizard), with one goal: survival. Survival in said hypothetical game divides itself into finding food (AKA unfortunate small animals), gaining territory & defending it from intruders, finding a life-long mate (eagle style! :D ), raising young, and traveling the world in search of prey & territory (with summer & winter territories, and breeding grounds.)

Lives in a Jheuloh Bowl, under a Rock. Beware the Guard Lizard(s).
<O> ,.., <O>
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7