Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: engine sounds  (Read 23339 times)

bugsblake

• jedi master
engine sounds
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:57 am »

hi all. i got a couple of youtube vids with with good sounds for engine start up, tick over, shut down!

i have converted them to mp3 files but i have to ask, whats a good free program to edit theses files? i used to use wavelab many years ago (not free) but cant find the disc for the life of me! so what program is easy to use and free to download?

also any advice on setting up the sounds would be great! never done vehicle sounds before! all i know is that in outerra they have to be mono! so any advice welcome! thanks
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
Re: engine sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:01:54 am »

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

thanks murkz! :)

EDIT: thats a great little program! simple to use and quick! nice one! :D

now gonna go through another vehicle .js and see if i can get them working as they should!

thanks
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:44:01 am by bugsblake »
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »

ok i have start up sound and idle sound running fine. cant seem to work out the shutdown sound? any advice please?

also i have sound of engine rev when driving but it sounds pants! how can i make this better? i have other sounds of the engine at higher revs, can i use that? if so whats the best way to do it?

im learning from looking at other .js files but its all new to me so any help would be great! thanks

ps. while your reading this, does anyone know how to set up the handbreak? ive not seen it in any .js files yet! is it even implimented yet or is it like the lights? something yet to be added? and horn, does that work? how is that set up in the .js file? or is that not added yet?

thanks for your help guys! :D
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »

Getting the sounds to sound good is not easy. You could use sounds at higher revs but i don't getting all of them to merge is easy at all. In my latest script i keep the idle, off and on sounds always going, and i adjust the volumes of them depending on the throttle, engine rpm and speed of the car. that way the transition between, say, full throttle and no throttle is quite smooth.

for the horn you just need to play the horn sound when you get the action event.
the shutdown sound shouldn't be a problem too. just play it when you get the engine event with the argument == false.
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »

thanks for the advice giucam! i'll have a crack at that! will be back if i have any problems! :)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:39 pm »

oh one other thing, do we have any kind of eta on vehicle headlights yet? just seems like such a shame to be limited to daytime driving! night driving round mountain top roads would be sick! :P cant wait for headlights! :D
and break lights, interior light, reverse..... but to tell the truth id be happy with just the headlights working so i can see where im going! ;)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

M7

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »

I find The hardest to get right is high rev sound for like muscle cars. With giucam script (BMW) you can use separate sound for acceleration and deceleration which helps a lot. Still the acceleration sound is still quite tough to get right.

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »

hi M7. yh the acceleration is all i got left to sort out! just sounds pants at the moment. everything else is working fine now. only other thing i need to know is how to setup the hand break as ive not seen it set in any other js files! do you know how to go about that?

anyway should have it all cracked by tonight, then i can update my mustang and charger downloads! also have a problem with the dds textures not showing on my charger? dont know why? no errors at all! they just dont show? anyway they are in the current download otx file. so just need to sort that and its done!

both cars still need work on the suspension as its like feeling every bump in the road but im sure with a bit of playing around with the settings i'll get there in the end! :)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:20:55 am »

I really don't like current sounds of any vehicle, they all sound too synthetic which is not good. Also M3 and Lambo (amongst other vehicles) both have very poor sounds, only way to describe it is "jagged synthetic sound" (too high pitched, especialy M3). Hope that will improve over time. Also turning left or right doesn't feel right either, just as handling, but I guess that's b/c physics are very rudimentary at this point. Hopefuly that will change as we progress. :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:16:37 pm »

The sound delivery method hopefully is just temporary. Having them generated per tick and blended in-game without the pitch change cheat should be the ultimate goal.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »

The sound delivery method hopefully is just temporary. Having them generated per tick and blended in-game without the pitch change cheat should be the ultimate goal.

Agreed

M7

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 11:40:44 am »

would be so cool to have this kind of tool as open source for vehicle sound creation 

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »

We certainly need something more substantial to make the sounds, sound more natural. Pitch control isn't going to be enough.

Edit.. Why not message that guy and see if he is willing to share his simulation code for use in OT? It says it was just a project he did for university.

The seven sound mix system seems to be the defacto standard.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:07:21 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »

thats a nice program there M7! but yes we need a new way to work with engine sounds in outerra for sure!

looking at the way everything is done in outerra, im sure we will have something great in the end! just like everything else! :)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Pages: [1] 2 3