Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Flawed Google Map Maker XD  (Read 3264 times)

Jagerbomber

Flawed Google Map Maker XD
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »

I'm sorry, but I had to share this... though I guess it'd only be funny for those who have tried to edit roads on Google Maps.

Ok, usually my biggest problem is with deleting intersections on roads that shouldn't be connected because of a really obnoxious overly strict restriction on road attributes and splitting roads.  That problem, however, if reported, they can actually fix... which normal users can't really do easily because of the number of steps it takes to complete (all of which have to be reviewed first).  (and the reviewers go "what the heck are you doing? DENIED"  ... because, believe it or not, there are bots and trolls that go around messing things up)

Anyways I found a different problem that even they couldn't fix... which I thought would be slightly simpler to fix than the first one.  A single road with a dead end was labeled as connected to the "route" of the road across the intersection from it.  Well... the "route" feature is a REAL pain in the ass when trying to fix separate roads on Google Maps because with when editing something connected to a route... it's all or nothing.  You can't really edit segments.  >:(  Even though the segment was named correctly, the label for it would not change from the route name that it wasn't actually a part of.  And apparently I stumped THEM!...

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this problem. Unfortunately, for various reasons, the problem you reported isn't easy for us to fix at this time. We did want to let you know that we've escalated your report to the respective team. Even though we don't have an immediate fix to your problem, please be assured that we're working hard for a resolution.

Regards,

Alice
The Google MapMaker Team

But this one is a dead end, not something in the middle, so I was/am thinking about deleting that road and re-making it (again, every step has to be reviewed one by one...  ::)) with it not being connected to the route obviously.  Or, I should probably just leave it for them and maybe they'll rethink this stupid route problem...  (Of course that probably won't be doable and would break everything else already in place...  ::))

What a pain in the ass...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:51:35 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P