Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Development  (Read 13224 times)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Development
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »

Outerra`s goal as a World Sim is to have multiple simulations merged into one platform.
Developing this to the standards of current stand-alone Sims will be tedious. So here is my idea:

When multiplayer arives, a server will be made to become an online Map Maker. Trusted members of the community will be given permission to log in and work at their desired sector. For example, I am interested in Flight and Train simulation.
Train simulation has a game called Trainz, which has an outdated graphics engine but large map making capabilities.
This means that the players can create any region the want and then use it as a route. This could apply to any simulation, where players would work together to complete parts of the world. This will be constantly expanding and will be expanding fast I could say. Given that a large noumber of worker-players (or if you would, developers) would work at the same time in groups focusing on different parts of different simulations, the expansion of the map coverage will be rapid, since we have the Google maps integration. Also when OSM data will be directly imported, the proccess will be even faster since the players only have to take care of beautification and technical problems such as AI, traffic lights, ATC and such.

Of course, password protection is a must, since we dont want any Trolls messing up with the map creation. :o
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

christibbs

Re: Development
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:19 pm »

or you could use data from google maps to place roads, train tracks, and to place airports.

John514

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:03:36 am »

OSM (Open Street Map) data will be used anyway, but I dont think it can reflect airports to an acceptable level.
I still dont know how building footprints will be used...

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:27:52 am »

not sure what you mean by "building footprints" but if you mean the houses and buildings that sit on top of the terrain, i dont think that is going to be added! but i could be wrong, cameni will have to answer that one!

there is digital elevation model (DEM), digital terrain model (DTM) and digital surface model (DSM) if im not mistaken we are using DEM for outerra terrain but antiworld is about an empty world we return to! so im not sure we would need that! not to mention digital surface model data is not free and most places want over £1000 per square mile! so unless there was a free database of this stuff to download, there would be no point in putting it into outerra!

anyway if you wasnt on about digital surface model data, then ive just wasted my time and yours! lol ;)
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

John514

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:27:15 am »

I`m thinking that about how other games using Outerra can be developed. While Anteworld will be empty, if someone wants a Flight Sim, he must have some buildings and roads around!

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 11:58:07 am »

yeah true that! im sure cameni has plans for all different types of data that could be used in outerra! myself im looking forward to OSM roads being able to be placed! I know that's in the works from what ive read. but the biggest thing I really want right now is vehicle lights! I think night driving is all that's missing right now! kinda sucks only being able to drive in the day right now, but something to look forward to anyway! :)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

John514

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »

Yes, I hope the lights cast shadows! :3

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 04:46:12 pm »

im sure they will! and probably a toggle for performance on lower end pc's! they are going to make most things customizable from what ive seen! :D
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

Dusor

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:57 am »

As for Flight simulator, I use Flight Simulator X which is extremely unefficient.
Also, we can base airports on charts. (A good website to obtain charts for (almost) every airport is charts.aero)
They usually come with a very detailed description of the airports and most of the parking, runway coordinates.

John514

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:34:40 am »

But they dont provide info for a 3D model of the place.
Then again I think I m hopping for too much.

James

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »

Isn't Outerra just an engine? I think it's meant as a base for games, so it doesn't make sense just to get people to build roads and stuff. That would be the job of the people making the game. Especially since the people working on Outerra are probably focusing on more important stuff than placing roads, airports, and whatever. They still have to do things like caves, clouds, rivers, and probably much more. This sounds kind of irrelevant to the game engine and inessential to its development.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55:38 pm »

Anteworld is the game. And everyone that pays the $15 get to play.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

John514

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:51 pm »

Also, how can someone get the rights to use the engine for his own game, when its available of course?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:18 pm »

Also, how can someone get the rights to use the engine for his own game, when its available of course?

,,, well, cameni still has a long way to go till that point is fully cleared out ... OT is not ready, Antenworld on the double. As i already wrote somewhere, why just use this time gap to find, organize and headup communityes in all this sectors and make a whole lot stuff on the planets surface.  :D   At the same time, i think they have some more plans whyte the engine, than just making it.    - They still didnt open their RED DOOR ower there !! 

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.