Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Cave man simulator  (Read 11185 times)

Darren

Cave man simulator
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:57 pm »

Cave man simulator.

This a a call to arms. I would really like to live in a simulated reality, as a cave man....

Here are some ideas I have....what are your thoughts?

In the next few months I plan to make this a reality, and need help of people who can:

1) make models, fitting the era.
2) make the models move/react to the environment.
3) make a first-person module move through the world.

Currently attached is 1st draft, next I will prioritize items.....cant do everything at once..... the smaller the chunks, easier to swallow.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:19:12 pm by Darren »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Cave man simulator
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »

... tribes, mating, feeding family, war, multiplayer, weather, building, ancient techs ...

.... oh yes, lets get the Afghan battery a proper use !  ;D

You mean as an RPS, or a AofE strategy-like game ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Darren

Cave man simulator - Think "clan of the cave bear".
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:43:56 pm »

1st person survival game.

Track and hunt - (a modern day example - )

Avoid predators (wolves, bears)

..Flora and fauna, change depending on location. (limit to a small area to start with).

Collect materials for tools: axes, bows, spear, flint etc

Socialize and trade with other tribes. Or war.

Make a family, protect and feed. survive the seasons.
(player continues game through his children - if dies).

Have RPG-like stats for skills learnt:
- traps
- sneak
- bow
- spear throw
- hunting + animal type

Think "clan of the cave bear".

---------------------
I can share more thoughts if desirable, feasible.

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:24:24 am »

gathering stuff for traps, making things for trade, building, clothing and so ... but hunting should to be a painfully hard job (not only thanks tho the means the people had) to keep it balanced and challenging ... yes, it could be interesting if thought trough rightfully ... 
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Darren

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:15:53 am »

"a hunting painfully hard job" - most definitely! Team work required (multiplayer, or bots), but a rabbit or wild fowl or mussels could be taken out by a lone hunter.

The user experience to invoke:
- fear (night time, going to water hole)
- frustration (an unsuccessful hunt, weapons break)
- excitement (during hunt, escaping threats - wolves, bears)
- satisfaction (during feast, finding mate, child born, new tools)
- pride (tribe in good health, good skills, )

The game objective:
- pass of your genes (until the arrival of horse - a future expansion "Into the Bronze Age")
- survive winters (move south, or stock up)
- alliances and war

Desirables:
- first person only
- adaptive animal populations (based on person/10 km)
- caves
- rivers, lakes
- encroaching ice flow

Events to simulate action:
- Weather
- Season change
- Wolves/Bears
- Other humans
- Food low
- Resource found
- local tribe summer/winter festival
- Injuries (fall, weapon, bite, claw)

I would be happy to be a game designer (mechanics) researcher and tester, but unfortunately I cannot produce game code or produce graphics.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:17:26 am by Darren »

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 03:18:28 pm »

- adaptive animal populations (based on person/10 km)
... this would be a nice future for the basic OT environment, some more complex AI behavior for animals, specific for all kinds.

Some domestification and planting could be added after a lot of experience gain, whyte their own problems. Sounds to be a nice and mod-friendly idea.

I would be happy to be a game designer (mechanics) researcher and tester, but unfortunately I cannot produce game code or produce graphics.

... modelling seems to fit this stage of OT dev. till then, there is a lot we can learn from other folks and Cameny/AngryPig trough proces-implemented features. Antenworld may show some useful solutions for this thought of yours in time, so nothing bad there ... maybe, if we try hard in free time, we get the feeling for that kind of IT stuff, piece by piece ...  ;)   

Tho, any more detailed inf. of your vision would be nice ... can write an whole essay on it, people find some stuff they like too in it, maybe something to help their thoughts and projects too ...

Darren

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion.

I will make a proposal for a "Cave Man Simulator" prototype, and see what traction the project can get.

I can also try and collect the objects to fill the world (well a small region to start with).

PytonPago

Darren

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 08:10:39 am »

"Other species", that could be the prequel.

I was planning small scale first, some valleys north of the fertile crescent (circa 35,000B.C).

I am making first steps to collect models (for the era).

A question, if I import a model, is the model persistantly at the location between reboots? is i saved in the game environment?

Darren

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 06:22:07 pm »

PytonPago

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 07:49:36 am »

Im too not really sure if bows were used when neandertaals were still here ... seems it will stay at spears and axes ...

Darren

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 08:19:03 am »

Research ín progress , http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery

Bow is allowed (well maybe) at same time as Neanderthals. Of course capabilities are not known (they did build Alantis after all, or was it the Aliens?). But we can compare bow stats to modern equivalent societies.

Just started reading about the Paleolithic period. I need a few valleys to base the prototype, I.e. where humans and Neanderthals have appeared to live. And near to frozen Europe as possible. For the drive south due to harsh winter. I may need to juggle/drop some ideas. Historical accuracy is an imperative.

I am a big fan of games that also educate.

Hmm, after further reading, yes I will have to drop the neanderthal or the bow. I vote the bow is more fun. So bye bye neanies.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:30:20 pm by Darren »

PytonPago

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:53:35 am »

Historical accuracy is an imperative.

... always appreciated.  ;)

maggotknees

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:59:21 am »

sounds like a great idea good luck!

jimbalny

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 03:32:08 pm »

Would be interesting to see an ancient man simulator FPS with some RTS aspects. Tribes needed to keep on the move in order to stay in the areas that are rich in food and resources. For example, you have a group of men women and children who travel together and each has his or her job. You play the leader of this tribe and are responsible for coordinating all efforts as well as making the decisions of whether or not to move to another area, etc. Each decision has a positive or negative impact on the welfare of the tribe, when things are bad people will start to leave or try to challenge you for power over the group. As leader you also take part in all hunting and some other activities as well.