Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roadmap  (Read 20148 times)

Darren

Roadmap
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »

Is there project roadmap?

Can it be shared?

What resource limitations do you have? Can we help?
- graphic designers, developers, tester, game designers?

If you agree, please reply to that you are interested and the Outerra team can see.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:09:41 am »

It would be cool if we got all the features and their implementation date in one place.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

Darren

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 03:16:42 am »

Agreed. If people can see the roadmap, they can feel progress is being made. And even contribute to the various objectives. Please Masters of Outerra, provide a roadmap. If you need assistance I will help.

mctash

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:13:54 am »

+1 for a road map

Krutan

• King Crab
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:38:45 am »

A roadmap would be really great. Would love to know where they are taking this project and what features we can expect in the upcoming months/years.

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:08:16 am »

Roadmap?....Ah, Roadmap!

No no, there are no Roads. There are only wide green fields or rocky hills. The roads you have to build at yourself   :P
Resident of Outerra

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »

lol... That wasn't the point.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 07:56:41 am »

lol... That wasn't the point.
Sure!
Or can you see any roads on that map? If yes, so that must be a roundabout with some blindlanes to some small enterprises ;)
Resident of Outerra

Jagerbomber

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:38 am »

And... now you've lost me. lol  :P
I think I need a map...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 10:58:46 am »

There's a road, but there's not much of a map :)

There are several blocks being developed in parallel. The modules that are currently closest to completion are:
  • FBX importer
  • character animations
  • initial version of clouds

While the character animations will be shown soon, it will take a bit longer until they get into the public release, as we need to get us a model made for the game. Currently we are working with models and animations owned by our licensees.

As the actual game is slowly going to get a clearer shape, we increasingly feel the need for a graphics designer, someone able to come up with a unified and characteristic design for Anteworld characters, vehicles and buildings, including the colonizer module lander and the mothership. But for that we need to provide a better description of the game concepts and the game mechanics that can utilize all the engine features - a global world, the scale and detail, deformable terrain etc.

Networking

This is the part that we'd like to get out ASAP, but it's one of the most problematic ones as well. The problem is, of course, the scale and the detail. There's no server that would hold all the data used by the physics on all the connected clients, being able to arbitrate client action conflicts reliably. There are actually two parts to it. Static data of the world (buildings, roads, altered terrain etc) will be stored in the cloud, replicated to others and allowing them to see the world changing, the land being taken. This is for the main, common game part, but obviously there may be different realms where something is happening independently, as if in a different spacetime, and that something may be also a sandbox where a group of people modifies the world together to prepare it for their game or whatever.

The networking for a dynamic interaction between players is something going atop of that, allowing for a different gameplay within given realm, or on a snapshot of the world. We are still pondering how to make this work efficiently, to be able to have user-hosted servers adaptively handling a limited number of players that would be allowed to go anywhere.

Biomes

With Kelvin preparing lots of textures and data for regions all over the world, the biomes got a bit closer, but I still need a contiguous period of time to finish the work on them. Having to suspend it for 3 times already doesn't help. I hope that at least I'll be able to release the first phase with the global coloring taken from the satellite color maps  - i.e. no new textures yet but colors matching the view from space in ~500m resolution, further refined by the current fractal coloring. This can also remove grass from the deserts, but mainly it will remove that unified greenness.

Other stuff in the works
  • global physics - even though the current one works globally, interaction with all objects needs optimizations
  • lighting pipeline, support for multiple lights, AO etc
  • further particle effects
  • vector overlay support for altering natural distribution (larger scale terrain modifications, fields ...)
  • rivers and lakes (depends on ↑ and ↓)
  • importer for vector data sources (OSM ..) and building placement
  • fixing errors in terrain database, better support for transitions between source data with different precision, coastlines
  • 3D trees, in combination with biomes
  • global weather
  • extended roads functionality (markers, poles ...), railroad support
  • extended ground vehicle physics - support for tracks, solid axles; proper friction for ground materials, terrain deformation
  • watercraft physics, better ocean rendering
  • special vision modes - infra, night vision
  • ballistics

... and the other half I forgot to list here

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »

That sounds all great Cameni! Thank you for the info about the Roadmap.

I'm looking forward to the FBX importer the first version of clouds and especially the watercraft physics and ocean improvements!
And it's nice to see the Network infos.

Marko

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 12:44:31 pm »

As the actual game is slowly going to get a clearer shape, we increasingly feel the need for a graphics designer, someone able to come up with a unified and characteristic design for Anteworld characters, vehicles and buildings, including the colonizer module lander and the mothership. But for that we need to provide a better description of the game concepts and the game mechanics that can utilize all the engine features - a global world, the scale and detail, deformable terrain etc.

... well ... just write on the DeviantART site for that. Plenty of nice good people whyte painting skills for characters to made for the modellers.  ;) ( ;D  !! i want a dragon !!  ;D )
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:01 pm »

With Kelvin preparing lots of textures and data for regions all over the world, the biomes got a bit closer, but I still need a contiguous period of time to finish the work on them. Having to suspend it for 3 times already doesn't help. I hope that at least I'll be able to release the first phase with the global coloring taken from the satellite color maps  - i.e. no new textures yet but colors matching the view from space in ~500m resolution, further refined by the current fractal coloring. This can also remove grass from the deserts, but mainly it will remove that unified greenness.

Well, Kelvinr should take all the time he needs on that .. it will be Epic, i know that already. Just waiting for the wave !

• extended ground vehicle physics - support for tracks, solid axles; proper friction
... yes !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »

Dang... Improved road functionality pretty far down there... Oh well.  I'm still chuggin' along.  I've just finished getting through the "O"s of the initial road layout of my town again.

(No, that's not my town...)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:43:53 pm by Jagerbomber »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 04:05:03 am »

Oh that list is not in any particular order ... plenty of cross-dependencies there.
Pages: [1] 2