Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Roadmap  (Read 20146 times)

Sam

• nearby
Re: Roadmap
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »

Oh, look at that! That roundabout reobtains real roads!  ;D

Thank you Brano for that statement!  :)
Resident of Outerra

belgarionriva

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 08:48:50 pm »

The provided "roadmap" shows how the engine will be updated, but in no way shows what is expected to be devellopped from a "game" point of view. The way I see it, once the "roadmap" is checked off, then a game can start to be made. What will this game actually consist of? In other words, you have now made a world. What do you plan to do with it?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 10:26:45 pm »

Half a list is still a list. This should be its own post.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Tacklebait

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 02:31:23 am »

As this is my first post I just wanted to say I am very excited for this engine and have purchased the alpha and love it for what it is so far.

I'm very happy to see the road map listed above but i'm kind of curious to what the end state will look like.

If you could picture yourself 2 years down the road and maybe with a few more people working with you.  How would you say the game/engine would look.

I see the direction your going, i'm just wondering how far your are looking at taking the finer details.

Will there be hundreds of different types of vegetation customized to the different biomes?
Animals?
Caves?
Clouds/wind/fog/rain/ snow?
Will the world change with the seasons?
How many unique players could be in the world at one?
Could this be used to create an ever evolving universe of different planets over the next 10-20 years?

This is a very ambitious project and I know it gets me dreaming about the potential.  I'm sure when you started brain storming with your friends about this huge undertaking you had a vision that started you writing that first piece of code and that keeps you working on this project.

Sorry if its too much to ask for.  I know your probably pretty busy, so there is no offence if you don't feel so inclined to share!

Cheers

Deutschmark

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 04:53:49 am »

• ballistics

... and the other half I forgot to list here

I like that one  ;D
Will there also be damage model for vehicles / planes and so on?  ;)

Deutschmark
I have not come across a polygon yet that I have not been able to model with

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 05:50:05 am »

• ballistics

... and the other half I forgot to list here

I like that one  ;D

Deutschmark

..will try to do that one on my urals ! ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

mctash

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:29 am »

Thanks for the info

ProfSmiles

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:52 am »

When you mention importing data, including from OSM, does it include building, road, airport, etc. data from OSM? (:

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 10:12:44 am »

The provided "roadmap" shows how the engine will be updated, but in no way shows what is expected to be devellopped from a "game" point of view. The way I see it, once the "roadmap" is checked off, then a game can start to be made. What will this game actually consist of? In other words, you have now made a world. What do you plan to do with it?
The game is being done in parallel, once the engine has the features required for a particular gameplay element. For example, with characters and animation and ballistics we can implement the basic shoot-whatevers-moving thing.
Also, the exact gameplay style (or a combination of) will be determined and refined along the way based on the developed game story and feedback from people. Anteworld aiming to be a demo game for OT engine has goals to show the engine's capabilities, so the gameplay style should be able to utilize the large terrain and the ground details, deformable terrain and ability to build stuff dynamically etc.

Will there be hundreds of different types of vegetation customized to the different biomes?
Animals?
Caves?
Clouds/wind/fog/rain/ snow?
Will the world change with the seasons?
Ultimately the biomes will provide multiple different & customized vegetation cover.
Animals - would be nice to have a wide variety, but that requires lots of custom made animations. I think we will start with some birds and will slowly add more. However, since it's not essential for the gameplay and for the demonstration of capabilities, it won't likely reach the richness we'd all like to see anytime soon.
Caves - counting with them, the tech is needed also for tunnels.
Weather - yes.
Seasons - a gradual transition is expected to work in a similar way how transitions between the biomes will work, a parameter driven fractal mixer process that blends between two or more types of terrain material, with accompanying changes in colorization etc.

How many unique players could be in the world at one?
Could this be used to create an ever evolving universe of different planets over the next 10-20 years?
Now this is fairly game & gameplay specific. Needless to say, at the moment we have nowhere near enough resources to make it s massively multiplayer thing in the usual sense. Anteworld will start as "massively singleplayer": people able to conquer a part of the world where they will start building and playing against AI. The changes done to the world will be stored in the cloud, so that other players can see what everybody has done in a shared world, and also to interconnect routes and establish trade later on within the strategic part of the game.
Once we get more resources, this will be further extended to get an interactive multiplayer modes in.

Ultimately - yes, it's needed for many kinds of simulators that we are going to support. We'll see about the degree to which we'll be going, certainly starting with a simpler damage model initially.

When you mention importing data, including from OSM, does it include building, road, airport, etc. data from OSM? (:
Everything that is suitable for import. Stuff like man made fields/pastures, roads, lakes and rivers. Once the importer API is ready, we are going to test an external sw that reads building data and attempts to reconstruct the buildings from OSM.
However, the consistency and quality of OSM data and metadata is a big question.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:46 am »

"basic shoot-whatevers-moving thing"

Best FPS game EVER!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Zapa93

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 01:32:15 pm »

Who knows, maybe in the future when this game progresses so much, it will be a world of its own, evolution happens and new stuff arrived :D kidding, but that would be awesome if it could be implemented(although highly unlikely).

Evildropbear

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:43 am »

Who knows, maybe in the future when this game progresses so much, it will be a world of its own, evolution happens and new stuff arrived :D kidding, but that would be awesome if it could be implemented(although highly unlikely).

Spore 2.0 on the Outerra engine, yes please!

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 08:53:34 am »

Animals - would be nice to have a wide variety, but that requires lots of custom made animations. I think we will start with some birds and will slowly add more. However, since it's not essential for the gameplay and for the demonstration of capabilities, it won't likely reach the richness we'd all like to see anytime soon.

.... maybe just post the first model up to look-up whyte some specifics when the animation system gets to work. People may hop into that effort to help.

"basic shoot-whatevers-moving thing"

Best FPS game EVER!

... and "Space return Turkey-shooting gone rogue" will become Antenworlds under-title  ? :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:58:22 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: 1 [2]