Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: The Game  (Read 90842 times)

robmuzz

Re: The Game
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »

Hello,

I've only just found out about / downloaded / and paid into, this incredible project. I am really excited to see something come to life that was only possible in my imagination until recently.

On my first day of playing with this, something profound struck me...

After a few hours looking about (finding where I live etc...) I found myself on the shore on the Eastern coast or New England (near where the Pilgrims landed in 1660)

It was looking at the untouched and breathtakingly beautiful land ahead of me, I had a cascade of emotions from delight at the unexplored land before me and terror at the sheer unknown that lay beyond.

I made my way west to explore this new continent, and a game started to unfold like the rolling hills before me. (I think you can guess where this is going !)

All this would need is a way to harvest wood and food, and then a system to craft items and tools, and you have the ability to discover the New World for yourself !

Anyone think it would be worth exploring?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:32 am »

Me! :)

I would really like to play such a colonization game, a kind of a real-time first person Civilization game. Been imagining it way before OT started.
However, there are many obstacles, both in the design and the amount of work this would require, and we needed to simplify all aspects of it.

Anteworld concept is basically this thing but reduced into a setting that is going to be simpler to implement. While the planet will be almost back to the pristine state, the player will have machines to help him form it, and to achieve the goals in a shorter game time.

But still, one day I'd like to make the historic version too. Wolves and all.

adriaan

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2013, 05:06:21 am »

and we NEED horses! it would be amazing to travel with your friends in multiplayer for days and days. you would have to make camps and fires to keep yourself safe at night, and encounter friendly and unfriendly players

robmuzz

« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19:08 am »

To me, going back rather than foreward in time seems more logical, as you would expect at least some evidence of human habitation.

The way the game looks at the moment, feels, as you say, pristine, untouched.

The only drawback with a historical setting would be the loss of flight, but the UFO, would be fine for RTS mode.

Bunkers

« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2013, 10:35:03 am »

a kind of a real-time first person Civilization game. Been imagining it way before OT started.
I've been hoping for such an epic game myself.

To make it more achievable it could start by creating just a survival game, where you start on foot somewhere random and must gather food and survive predators. If it gets some decent momentum (players) you could add more and more features along the way, so you could make tools, build houses etc. And step by step one day end up with something like a real-time first person CIV game.

Dare I dream it?  :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]