Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The Game  (Read 90834 times)

sheam86

The Game
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2011, 11:24:07 am »

The game idea sounds pretty damn good, especially the realms part.... because I may want play a futuristic galactic FPS game and traverse the planet with awesome vehicles, or just go medievil and journy the planet to slay dragons... Problem is I would think its mammoth tasks and would take years! scratch that... Decades maybe...

For an initial release candidate game... I think something fairly simple should be order, something that will be quick to make and impliment, just to show the potential it has, kinda like a techdemo in the form of a small game... Let actual devs work on full scale games to push your engine to the max, that way you can spend more time improving and supporting the engine, than to do that and have to make a game.. So think much smaller?

Just my two cents worth... Also, you guys can hire or approach an indie group of developers, negotiate for them to develop this game with your support, that way if its off your hands they can go wild with it and develop anything they want, and you guys can work on Documentation and support.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
The Game
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 08:30:35 am »

Actually we are not so much interested just in making an engine for everyone else. We want to have fun with making our own games. In fact we started to think about licensing only after some devs approached us because they liked the engine, or rather the potential in it, and wanted it for game types that we knew we would not cover by ourselves in any near future.

The realms are basically part of that plan - to let developers use what we have got for planetary terrain rendering, so they can focus on the parts that interest them most. Like specialized simulations or specific gameplay types. Let us deal with the terrain, vegetation and management of planetary scale data.

Yes the initial game will be initially simple, a demo. It will be also a platform where new features come in, where people and devs can see and exp it. Commercial games made by others will see the light of day only in some 2 years from the time the engine is made available.

We've been approached by a number of indie developers, and we also considered the model that a selected group would develop a game with our support early when there's no documentation and robust APIs. We have a few candidates, but there's an enormous amount of them lets-do-a-MMO types or just plainly naive and inexperienced ones with unrealistic plans. OT will not be easy to use at the beginning: lack of tools and overall immaturity, so we need teams that are capable of working in such an alpha regime.

necro

• google+ Blog
The Game
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2011, 02:51:49 am »

Whats your personal idea of the game? And will you develop just the engine-necessary-parts or will you also contribute line of codes for the final game?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
The Game
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2011, 06:24:30 am »

There's a bunch of ideas, but you know best that ideas are cheap :)
The first should be the building/transportation/driving game with fps elements we are talking about on this forum. It will start in alpha and grow probably forever. It's going to be relatively tightly tied to the engine and engine features, a sandbox not just for the players but also for developers and us.

As for other games, my personal favorite would be a Civilization-inspired game done in Outerra World. Quite a lot of work though.

necro

• google+ Blog
The Game
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:27 am »

Sounds quite interesting. You can me hire for all of that ideas :U

PeterBitt

The Game
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2011, 09:07:52 am »

Quote from: cameni
As for other games, my personal favorite would be a Civilization-inspired game done in Outerra World. Quite a lot of work though.
this would be so cool! no need to smoke hundreds of cigarettes while waiting for the other players to finish their round, just look at the graphics :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
The Game
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:33 am »

LOL, not turn based, of course :D

The way of founding cities with a band of settlers, fighting wild tribes in the beginning and discovering stuff, building the cities and the infrastructure around and in between, expanding ..

Spudly

The Game
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:58 pm »

Cameni, your idea makes me think of the book Ringworld, though maybe with a more Planet of the Apes twist.  Find a planet inhabited by savages after a long expedition with your colony ship and you must unravel the clues to how the great civilization fell.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
The Game
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »

Yes, that was more or less the original idea for the backstory that would allow to have earth in more or less natural state, but with ruins of great cities. I don't think the omg-it's-earth twist should be used more than once though :)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
The Game
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »

That actually reminded me there was a typo of the year in the backstory :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
The Game
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2011, 03:35:49 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
That actually reminded me there was a typo of the year in the backstory :)

Are you changing it to 2012.. CHANGE IT TO 2012!

They Mayans destroyed earth with all their nuclear waste!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
The Game
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »

lol  I don't think we can build a 5km-long 2.5km-diameter interplanetary spaceship with a Fusion drive and quantum computers in less than a year ... especially now that NASA's budget is going to be gutted.

I'd originally set it for 2199 ... but in researching the timeline, realized that should have been 2099.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

yhwhluver

The Game
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:38 pm »

I very much prefer the Total War style to Civilization.  Seems to be more realistic and more differences between all of the civilizations.  Turn-based strategy with real-time battles.  Oh man, that would be so awesome.  No need for a separate battle map.

SpaceFlight

The Game
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:18 pm »

Quote from: yhwhluver
I very much prefer the Total War style to Civilization.  Seems to be more realistic and more differences between all of the civilizations.  Turn-based strategy with real-time battles.  Oh man, that would be so awesome.  No need for a separate battle map.

I second that. A Total War game in Outerra. That would be very cool.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
Re: The Game
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2011, 10:03:29 am »

Quote from: yhwhluver
I very much prefer the Total War style to Civilization.  Seems to be more realistic and more differences between all of the civilizations.  Turn-based strategy with real-time battles.  Oh man, that would be so awesome.  No need for a separate battle map.

I second that. A Total War game in Outerra. That would be very cool.

Basically everyting would be very cool in Outerra - from Total War to Half-Life to Trackmania to Tetirs (yes - even that old, 8-bit Russian game would be cool in it!).

On a completely unrelated note, how much you think would such a game ulitizing Outerra cost? (obviously, freeware is always nice, isn't it?) (but I wouldn't bother paying some money either)
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9