Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Help needed: Rabbits!!!!!! (or other moving lifeforms)  (Read 7980 times)

Darren

Help needed: Rabbits!!!!!! (or other moving lifeforms)
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:52 am »

One thing Outerra is currenly missing is rabbits!

Has anyone been able to import an animal of moving model of some sort?

How would this be done?

What tools can help?

How is the animated/moving model integrated with Outerra?

it would be great if a little rabbit was in the environment, and everytime you got too close it ran away.

Jagerbomber

Re: Help needed: Rabbits!!!!!! (or other moving lifeforms)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:15:28 am »

Too soon for that to be done.  We (or they) aren't there yet.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:36:02 am »

Animations werent implemented yet.

Darren

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:24:24 am »

But a plan can be imported a truck. Why not a running rabbit?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:20:10 pm »

But a plan can be imported a truck. Why not a running rabbit?

well, if the legs will be separate meshes rotating around just like in cartoons, why not ? :D
Or the futuristic synthetic supplements for extinct species in 2150+ from the soviet-times future designs (doe the wheels have to be a little more off-road capable):

Joking alright.  ;) Doe very-simplified bunny-toys have always a way to go out of animation, till its supported ... but do not get this one there !!

Maybe to do a set of simple movements (half-turns of separate segments (like switches in cars/flyers at time) set by code to be started one after another - maybe on timers, but it would be much work, complicated by such movements and buggy as a ... well, bug), but im not sure if it would have to be initiated somehow externally anyway ... :/

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:25:31 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Darren

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »

The cave man similar dwellers would not stand a chance against that fluffy fiend. Especially with out the invention of the holy handgrenade.

The rabbit script would .... a rabbit would dash to the nearest accessible warren entrance,  or place of safety. So a run off into shrubbery is acceptable.

This should be a dynamic escape I.e. not always the same and dependant on situation...people present, foliage.

PytonPago

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 05:05:04 am »

Well, intelligent escape-routes could be implemented in basic OT world (would be neat) - just going for highest vegetation (for small animals like lizards, rabbits, mice ...) and if possible (distance and predator position in mind) to the ground hole (witch were procedurally placed around the world and animals, that can use them would be their size-dependent).  ... it would be interesting to watch a fox hunt for such a mice, when some routes would be not possible for the fox unlike the mice. Maybe even an addition of an small animation type (if the mice is in a bigger bush, the fox could try to reach it white his paw for some seconds, before the mice goes running further or the fox catches it there (lets say 86 % probability here) -- another could be in winter, if the mice escapes to a hole, foxes sometime try jump in it to get it, before the mice gets trough the snow) ...

still, for separate movement animations, there is a wait needed (no need to wait making such in max/blender - well just see, how Cameny makes them run and in what format).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:07:09 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Darren

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:53 am »

a whole eco system is great.

but very ambitious.

for now I want eat rabbit!

I will contact big C, as I would like to know intent so I can prepare.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:48:28 am »

a whole eco system is great.

but very ambitious.

for now I want eat rabbit!

I will contact big C, as I would like to know intent so I can prepare.
A realistic animation is a complex thing, it has little in common with vehicle and aircraft simulation. We are currently working on the human character animation, and there are at least three parts to it - import of the simple animation sequences, making of complex behavioral animations out of these with smooth transitions, and interaction with the terrain. You can't really expect to just somehow import an animal model from somewhere and have it automagically animated and running around in the land (and not looking crappy at that).

At this moment it's unclear how exactly it will be controllable by the script, you'll have to wait until we have implemented the animation system with some examples.

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:08:09 am »

... making of complex behavioral animations out of these with smooth transitions, and interaction with the terrain. ...

This one is particularly interesting indeed. Is there a way of getting to it trough intervals of specific positions trough the animation, coping whyte the terrain after taking forces/center of mass "movement smoothness"  ? It would be a potentially interesting thing in means to interacting whyte objects later. A simple well done set of animations covering interactions whyte multiple same-characteristic objects whyteout making any transition-jumps or incorrect object interaction  - say such animation for oppening car-doors, yet, the torso position and hands would have a certain well defined "interaction space" to get the door handle right in the hands grip and standing physically (person opening them) well no matter if the car has its door 1/3 or 2/3 of a meter high and the angle of their opening whyte their radius varying trough the different cars.(that is if the doors function the same way in all of them) So even picking up stuff could be done from the actual position of the persons model whyte gripping it rightly and accessing its "standing" accordingly to its mas center ... something far-fetched and more usable for actual real-world robotics, only simpler, purely simulated - doe need the same movement assessment data in each animation step like the real robotics whyte their sensors ... seems real time skeletal animation processing would be needed for that kind of simulation, but would be interesting indeed, not just for some gamer-area programming ...

Darren

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:46 am »

currently .otx truck wheels do not go into the ground, so when the animation hits/collides the ground, make legs jump (if player near).

my friend can make pretty rabbits. he can make the jump too.

but i am interested in the technologies, languages you will use.

then how can rabbitAnimation + rabbitAI + outerra work together.

Lua?

what is Outerra currently developed with?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:39 am »

Well, take a look at the vehicle script. It's in Javascript, and talks back to OT through an API. The API is specialized for a given physics type: vehicle.
So there just as well may be a similar interface for the animal behavior later.

OT is written in C++ and the API is either C++ or JS for now, later probably some others.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:08 pm »

A realistic animation is a complex thing, it has little in common with vehicle and aircraft simulation. We are currently working on the human character animation, and there are at least three parts to it - import of the simple animation sequences, making of complex behavioral animations out of these with smooth transitions, and interaction with the terrain. You can't really expect to just somehow import an animal model from somewhere and have it automagically animated and running around in the land (and not looking crappy at that).

At this moment it's unclear how exactly it will be controllable by the script, you'll have to wait until we have implemented the animation system with some examples.

You do have a mo-cap room, right?  ;) ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P