Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Scripting language to learn?  (Read 4253 times)

James

Scripting language to learn?
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:51:44 am »

Does anyone know what language I should be learning if I want to get involved with development with this engine? I currently know Lua, so I have some basic idea of scripting language. I noticed some JavaScript files, which would usually mean I need to learn JavaScript if I want to make my own games with Outerra. I just wanted to make sure, and hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Scripting language to learn?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:22:57 am »

Javascript is currently being used for scripting the vehicle physics. Javascript interfaces are generated by our internal tool that also generates C++ interfaces with equal functionality (C++ are the base ones, actually). In the future there will be probably more language bindings, LUA probably one of them too.

James

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:26:12 am »

Fantastic! I really hope it all goes well. Then I can use my knowledge of Lua to code with such an amazing engine. Thanks. :)

James

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:38:37 am »

Oh, I had another question. If I buy the full version, could I just build roads and stuff, then save them for future use if I end up making a game? Or can you not even save roads and stuff?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:26:22 am »

The roads and object positions are stored in the cache folder, that you can simply backup.
The formats will likely change in the future, but they should be automatically converted.

James

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:15 am »

The roads and object positions are stored in the cache folder, that you can simply backup.
The formats will likely change in the future, but they should be automatically converted.

K. I went ahead and bought it. Although the roads and everything are buggy, I hope my $15 supports you guys. :D