Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Black Screen  (Read 9637 times)

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
Re: Black Screen
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:08 am »

Ok, I just tried Middle Earth mod and it works normaly, so that missing file has to be the reason for it not loading up.
Now I would only like to know how do I fix that, or if there is a way to dl just that file. I've checked other folders that should have the Earth files in them and they are all empty.
Really strange how it just disappeared like this.
If there a way to verify all the files, so it would download just the missing stuff?

Again, thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:49:57 am by Atrax »

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 06:53:20 am »

deleted* double post
sry
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:05:48 am by Atrax »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:41 am »

If the file isn't there, it will use the one in the install dir. Please check data.cfg in your install dir - what does it contain? Is it the right data path?
You may have problems if you used the same dir for both the program and data, and the file got deleted ...

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 07:05:15 am »

If the file isn't there, it will use the one in the install dir. Please check data.cfg in your install dir - what does it contain? Is it the right data path?
You may have problems if you used the same dir for both the program and data, and the file got deleted ...

Data.cfg says "g:/Games/Anteworld/" which is where I have my Outerra installed.
But my data folder is at default location "c:/users/username/Outerra/..."
Also there is an Earth folder in installation dir "g:/Games/Anteworld/data/earth (and medem is in this folder too)

How do I get this earth data so I can paste it to c:/users/username/Outerra/data? Or is there another way?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:07:23 am by Atrax »

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 07:40:06 am »

update: ok I managed to fix it somehow. I've tried all sorts of things and after you said I should delete the default.cam from data dir (like I said before, default.cam file wasn't even there) I went to program dir and deleted it from there, and it has now initialized properly. I will try to run Outerra couple more times just to see if this has really fixed the issue.

Cameni, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
I will report back if there are any changes. I'm so happy it works now :)

I also think I know why this happened. I was testing FaceTrackNoIR past few days, and I've noticed when you start the game tracking works even before you log in and before world loads up. So I'm guessing it has something to do with that cause when I fixed it just now camera was in some odd position. So there has to be connection between those two things.
Maybe it would be smart to somehow restrict the movement until everything loads up?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:46:25 am by Atrax »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 07:48:07 am »

Also there is an Earth folder in installation dir "g:/Games/Anteworld/data/earth (and medem is in this folder too)

How do I get this earth data so I can paste it to c:/users/username/Outerra/data? Or is there another way?
This means that you installed the data originally into the program folder. That's normally ok, but in case your UAC level is too high, Windows prevents outerra.exe from writing into the directory. That was causing various problems, so in some previous version we added a check for it, and if a test file can't be created in the designated data directory, then the program logs it and starts using users/username/outerra directory instead.

You can move the data folder from g:/Games/Anteworld/data into c:/users/username/Outerra/data, and edit the data.cfg to point to c:/users/username/Outerra.

The only thing that's unclear is why Windows would prevent outerra.exe from writing into g:/Games/Anteworld ... there may be a bug in the detection code.

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:26 am »

This means that you installed the data originally into the program folder. That's normally ok, but in case your UAC level is too high, Windows prevents outerra.exe from writing into the directory. That was causing various problems, so in some previous version we added a check for it, and if a test file can't be created in the designated data directory, then the program logs it and starts using users/username/outerra directory instead.

You can move the data folder from g:/Games/Anteworld/data into c:/users/username/Outerra/data, and edit the data.cfg to point to c:/users/username/Outerra.

The only thing that's unclear is why Windows would prevent outerra.exe from writing into g:/Games/Anteworld ... there may be a bug in the detection code.

I have no idea why would windows do that especialy as I have UAC completely turned off (I hate that thing).  I also tried copying those files and changing the path in data.cfg, but it wouldn't work for some reason, so I deleted that default.cam file and now it downloaded some .wad stuff and it started to work again.
But I still have no idea how those files disappeared in the first place.
As long as it works now. :)
Thanks again Cameni!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:54:50 am by Atrax »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 05:10:05 pm »

well .. i would say, win has its bud about this thingy sometimes. If you try to modify some used file, it stays indexed somewhere at this state and after its free, it will just hold on to its index till restart. Happened all the time on XP ... once i encountered it at 7 too ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 02:43:49 pm »

It happened to me like 4 times.With only the menu working, everything was black, the stars, the sun, the planet.. everything, and it happened once when I was under the texture as well and it was dark as well.(keeping in to account that when under the textures, everything is white)

- And the only thing that I tried and worked was to just quit > log > quit > log a few times till the complete darkness was away.I changed the global coordinates as well a few times, but I'm not sure that had any effect.And I say this because once I didn't give a f&#@ and didn't deleted any files or changed any coordinates, just quit > log > quit > log .. till the sun appeared again.But always 2 quits where needed for anything to take effect.

- And every time when it was working again... it somehow reset all my settings, like sea level, daytime hour ( position of the sun / light ).. etc. , without deleting any file.

- Usually it happened while I was flying the jet, but I think it is somehow related with the consumption of resources.When touching a critical point, it might create an outbreak and crash in to darkness, and yeah... no sound was working as well, like everything was deleted.
And it was not because of the exceeding the resources, I have around 20-21GB's of memory.It might be a cap or something that creates a resource cap / margin point in the code.

So how do all things get disabled and turn pitch black?Do the textures and all options go all black?Or they are being temporary deleted?How can the code do that?

This is my imput... maybe it helps.

Cheers!

- Alex
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670
Pages: 1 [2]