Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FBX Importer + Animations  (Read 21019 times)

angrypig

FBX Importer + Animations
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

While I was working on animation system I gradually realized that COLLADA simply isn't viable for the task. There are lots of issues in plugins for max/maya/blender which make it almost impossible to get a proper DAE file (with skinning and animation etc.) from these tools. So FBX importer was born. I made a new user interface because the old one was a little bit limiting for the FBX and not very intuitive, what i missed the most was a good hierarchy viewer and stats about meshes, animations, an easy way to rename stuff etc.

Here is new importer UI (it is not final, missing a few options and needs little polishing)

And here is video with bug in animation pipeline :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:36:39 pm by angrypig »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: FBX Importer + Animations
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:13:47 pm »

That importer looks so much better. The video won't play for me so it may be something with my end.

Other than that it Looks great!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:23:06 pm »

Is that a soldier?!  :o
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:07:16 pm »

... you just tried to import a dragon, didnt you? ... do not try to do that. They will get angry and get everything on fire in OT. I want them be friends white us.  ;D

Cant wait for anims AngryPig ! You make me think about making an armed soldier for my urals. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:09:08 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Abc94

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:04:16 am »

"Outerra: The Thing"

Haha nice video title!
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

hboybowen

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:40 pm »

is this in the latest version? Is there a character animation system I am unaware of finally!!!! I only use fbx anyways

angrypig

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:37:42 am »

No it not released yet but it should be out this week.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »

No it not released yet but it should be out this week.
.. oh my ... and so many work to do ... !!! i thought it comes in a half year time  - youre a speedy one indeed.  :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:55 pm »

That's fantastic! Can't wait for the FBX Importer. Great news angrypig! :)

Marko

seppen

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 07:36:59 am »

Great news :)

Does it make it possible to ignore the polylimit of 64000 that frustrates me endlessly in Cryengine :'( ?

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 08:57:34 am »

Yah, there is a way to do this. Its done with parenting. That means you parent all you separate parts to an empty or a similar object. But they have to be in separate meshes. After that, you just export the empty and its children.

seppen

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 12:02:13 pm »

I would prefer just plain importing it all, like in Lumion.
Since got many static objects that not need animation, the parts that are animated can be seperate anyway.

But it´s the enless checking needed to find offending objects over 64 000 vertices that is a bit of a bore :'(

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »

To this point of time you have to split your mesh. Thats all i can say and i recommand that. Separating mesh parts is a pro, not a con and it has nothing to do with animation stuff.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 02:01:24 pm »

64K limit is there because of the index buffer that would have to be 32bit once you have more than 64k vertices per mesh. That's a waste of memory and bandwidth, so generally no engine allows that.

Another thing is that the mesh splitting could be done in the importer automatically to save the trouble of having to do it in a modeller. I guess it will be done when there are no bigger issues to address.

seppen

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 02:12:04 pm »

Yes :)
That would be perfect, if this can happen I declare you Godly 8)
I see enless stuff Outerra can be used for, not only games, so makeing it simple to generate content is important.

Just look at Sketchup, loads of expensive apps like Revit/Archicad is implementing pushpull variations, and easing the plugin development.
Pages: [1] 2