Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: BeamNG DRIVE  (Read 9325 times)

Jagerbomber

BeamNG DRIVE
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:10:08 pm »

BeamNG DRIVE available now!
Free tech demo
$15 for the alpha and future updates
links in the video description.

This is where the soft body vehicle physics engine, that we've had a couple of threads on before, has gone to.
It's no longer using cryengine or whatever other engine it was using before.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:16:41 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: BeamNG DRIVE
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:02:21 am »

DAMN YOU!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:13:32 am »

Such physics just ask for open world spaces like in OT !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 01:29:21 am »

The ROR guys came here first.. But Cameni told them OT wasn't going to be ready in time for their release. So here we are, on the ragged edge.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:13:17 am »

My thoughts on it so far.
As expected, it's quite difficult to drive in this with a keyboard.  A lot of (over-sensitive) wheel turning to do with keys etc.  Haven't tried it with my wheel yet.

I wouldn't call it floaty, but most of the vehicles (or their suspension and wheels) are a bit too bouncy.  But the rally car setup is the most cooperative and fun - Less bouncy and wheels stay on the ground a bit more.

The audio needs more work.  The metal crashing noises are small and happen rarely atm.  The tire squeal sound only happens with the tires touching the ground, but the tires bounce more like you're dribbling a racquetball low under your hand instead of sliding along the ground.

One of the test maps has a large pipe to drive through with square blocks placed floating in the middle.  Well, the bounciness from inside view from the car does make it feel more real... (than other games)  ;D and I think doing a loop in that pipe with an Oculus Rift would be terrifying!  Like you'd get chills doing it.  ;D  Especially as you fall from the top and you're about to land on your roof on the floating blocks.

However I was disappointed to find that they steer very much like they're on a pivot atm.  I wonder why that is, when they're trying to create this simulation, or if they even see it/notice it as a realism problem... (Though I guess the main focus originally was the damage, and not the steering, at least least maybe not yet.)

I haven't figured out how to spawn another vehicle without replacing the one you're driving though...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:21:50 am by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

adriaan

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:17:13 pm »

I gave Beamng alpha a spin on my rig on max settings and it was utterly amazing. Almost as amazing when i fired up OT for the first time. A coorporation between these two engine would result in one of the most advanced and (most importantly) FUN games/engines of all time. Imagine plane crashes with these physics or even spaceships!

Please Cameni i beg you! ;D

adriaan

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:15 am »

My thoughts on it so far.
As expected, it's quite difficult to drive in this with a keyboard.  A lot of (over-sensitive) wheel turning to do with keys etc.  Haven't tried it with my wheel yet.

I wouldn't call it floaty, but most of the vehicles (or their suspension and wheels) are a bit too bouncy.  But the rally car setup is the most cooperative and fun - Less bouncy and wheels stay on the ground a bit more.

The audio needs more work.  The metal crashing noises are small and happen rarely atm.  The tire squeal sound only happens with the tires touching the ground, but the tires bounce more like you're dribbling a racquetball low under your hand instead of sliding along the ground.

One of the test maps has a large pipe to drive through with square blocks placed floating in the middle.  Well, the bounciness from inside view from the car does make it feel more real... (than other games)  ;D and I think doing a loop in that pipe with an Oculus Rift would be terrifying!  Like you'd get chills doing it.  ;D  Especially as you fall from the top and you're about to land on your roof on the floating blocks.

However I was disappointed to find that they steer very much like they're on a pivot atm.  I wonder why that is, when they're trying to create this simulation, or if they even see it/notice it as a realism problem... (Though I guess the main focus originally was the damage, and not the steering, at least least maybe not yet.)

I haven't figured out how to spawn another vehicle without replacing the one you're driving though...
To spawn anything you need to open the mapeditor with f11 while playing in windowed mode. Then go to level tab then beamng then beamngvehicles. There's a tutorial on youtube;)

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »

The soft body physics is really awesome! I think I must buy it. ;)

Marko

Tfirma

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:53:23 am »

Nice deform, but it's a real pity the same engine has to work with drive surfaces/roads still in the stone age. :o
(At least the ugly low poly comes with free bounciness ;) )

It needs OT roads. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:06:35 am by Tfirma »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:48:00 pm »

BeamNG.drive is now available through Steam Early Access for those who have already bought it.  It will be soon for others.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/284160/