Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: I'm bying a computer to run Outerra with the Oculus Rift. Will this be enough?  (Read 10549 times)

simgust

• Look At Simon

Hi, I'm completely new here! I just discovered the Outerra engine, and I'm really excited about it.

Anyhow, I've ordered an Oculus Rift, and it'll arrive sometime soon (1-2 weeks). I figured I need a new computer to run Outerra well (especially since the Rift requires even more power).

I currently have a late 2009 27" iMac that I use with Windows 7 64 bit (through BootCamp) with these specs:

2,8GHz Intel Core i7 860
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
8GB RAM

This is obviously way too little for something like Outerra with the Oculus Rift (I even got a super low FPS while trying the demo without a Rift), mostly because of the Radeon HD 4850 (?).

So my question is, will I get good results with a computer like this?

3.30 GHz Intel core i5-2500k CPU
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 Ti
8GB RAM

Thanks for all your help! :)

Jagerbomber

CPU should be fine I think.

I have the GTX 570 and generally get 60 fps away from the ground and 3D grass, but lately have been getting down into the 30s down at the ground (might be an optimization issue at the moment, or maybe the newest Nvidia drivers, but I don't know).  The 560 TI is 1 step down from the 570, not including the 600 or 700 series cards.

If you can, the new 760 is significantly more powerful for around the same price.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:00:40 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

simgust

• Look At Simon

Thanks a lot for the info! :D

I've actually found a great deal on a better rig. Haha, the more research I do, the more I accept a higher price point.

I think I've settled for this:

3,4 GHz Intel Core i5-4670K
GeForce GTX 770
8GB RAM

Any thoughts on this compared to the previously mentioned rig?

Jagerbomber

770?  Awesome.  2GB 770 I'm guessing?  Personally, I'm going for the 4GB, but I'm only buying the card.  Still pricey though, compared to the 2GB...

How much total?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:52:41 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

simgust

• Look At Simon

Haha, don't push me even higher! :P Whenever the 770 is going to need a switch though, the price has probably dropped.

So yeah, it's the 2GB.

The total was $1327. It probably looks a bit steep (or does it?), but that's a very good price here in Norway!

SpaceFlight

Sounds like that setup should handle the Rift just fine from what I have heard or read about it.
If I remember correctly to have it running smoothly, everything from a Gtx 680 or Gtx 770 and upwards should be working.
I am not sure if this will hold true for the consumer version, but 770 seems to be a good graphics card.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

mctash

If you are planning on overclocking best read up on Haswell. It doesn't seem to clock as well as Ivy or Sandy Bridge from what I have read.

Jagerbomber

If you are planning on overclocking best read up on Haswell. It doesn't seem to clock as well as Ivy or Sandy Bridge from what I have read.

Yeah, my friend mentioned that the other day, though I haven't overclocked a CPU myself.  I've got the 2600K.

If that's USD, Simgust, that seems pretty good to me, especially for a pre-built.

simgust

• Look At Simon

Sounds like that setup should handle the Rift just fine from what I have heard or read about it.
If I remember correctly to have it running smoothly, everything from a Gtx 680 or Gtx 770 and upwards should be working.
I am not sure if this will hold true for the consumer version, but 770 seems to be a good graphics card.

Great! I'll receive the computer tomorrow, so I'll post up the results. If the consumer version with a higher pixel density will require more than the system I bought, I'll just have to upgrade it.

I've been longing for better game immersion for so long, so nothing is going to stop me when I've come this far ;)

I hadn't looked into it actually (and I've never overclocked a CPU before (I've been happy with my Mac's hah)), but if I ever plan to do so, I'll read myself up on the Haswell processors.

If that's USD, Simgust, that seems pretty good to me, especially for a pre-built.

Yep, it's USD! :)

Btw, I'll most probably receive my Rift on Thursday, and I'll get some time with it a few days later! I'll post some FPS/performance results here afterwards  :D

Jagerbomber

Where are you getting the computer from?  Or what's the brand?

simgust

• Look At Simon

Where are you getting the computer from?  Or what's the brand?

I bought it from Komplett.no, the biggest (and best) online electronic store in Norway. They can build custom computers for you (or you can order all the parts yourself), and they also have a few pre-made ones. I bought a pre-made that hadn't been picked up by the previous guy that was supposed to buy it, so I got it $170 cheaper! :)

My experience with the rig has been very good! Playing at 1920x1080 is very fluid, even with very high settings, and the lowest framerate I ever got (and it was very rarely that low) was 62 while skimming through the grass super fast. With the standard texture settings though, I never went under 100 FPS at grass level, which is very nice! Now I can rest assure that my computer won't mess with the performance of the Rift (at least with its current resolution).

I also tried out War Thunder (have you guys tried it before?), and there I got a constant 100+ FPS with settings on Max (the last setting is called "Movie" haha, I need to try that out).

I'm very happy about the results! :D

Jagerbomber

Niiiiice.

Can't wait until I get my 4GB 770.  (Probably not until mid to late October.)  I hope it helps.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:06:14 pm by Jagerbomber »

lexicon66

Hi, I'm completely new here! I just discovered the Outerra engine, and I'm really excited about it.

Anyhow, I've ordered an Oculus Rift, and it'll arrive sometime soon (1-2 weeks). I figured I need a new computer to run Outerra well (especially since the Rift requires even more power).

I currently have a late 2009 27" iMac that I use with Windows 7 64 bit (through BootCamp) with these specs:

2,8GHz Intel Core i7 860
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
8GB RAM

This is obviously way too little for something like Outerra with the Oculus Rift (I even got a super low FPS while trying the demo without a Rift), mostly because of the Radeon HD 4850 (?).

So my question is, will I get good results with a computer like this?

3.30 GHz Intel core i5-2500k CPU
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 Ti
8GB RAM

Thanks for all your help! :)

For anything 3d you really need to be running SLI maybe say two Nvidia 760's would be a about $ 600 upgrade. If you run 3D of any kind from a display on a PC it's always active 3d and not passive. So really you would need a very high end monitor support 120hz. 3d capable display.  Not sure how OC works? I have NVison 2. I took some money you get good use out of it. I end up not using it MUCH!! bc I don't have SLI 3d slows the frame rates down a lot.

CJ

Jagerbomber

He didn't say anything about 3D, however, (I can't believe I never looked this up), How does the Oculus Rift hook up to the graphics card?  Is it 2 DVI ports?  And is one card even able to do both left and right *Rift* displays (I'm not talking about performance.)?

Edit: It looks like it's one DVI or HDMI port is needed, so it's pretty much like enabling 3D on the card the usual way anyways.  I was going to say, that the "half" resolutions might have better performance than 3D, but the 2 "views" given by 3D are half resolution anyways...  ::) DERP!  Brain fart.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:08:04 pm by Jagerbomber »