Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Inspirational images  (Read 121917 times)

aWac9

Re: Inspirational images
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:31 pm »

HiFlyer

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:06 pm »

Some nice work!!! This is where I hope Outerra is going.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:31:42 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »

I agree, that's exactly the kind of stuff that need to be in OT. Just can't imagine how they could do it on a world scale , like the field mapping...

HiFlyer

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »

I agree, that's exactly the kind of stuff that need to be in OT. Just can't imagine how they could do it on a world scale , like the field mapping...

Osm, I presume and something that fills in areas with "plausible" looking details. X-Plane 10 uses that technique, but I think Outerra could do it much better just by the nature of the engine.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 08:53:34 am »

Wow! those birch trees are amazing, and I love how they line up between the fields. Looks just like a trip outside town here :) That's really amazing, but I actually believe this is where Outerra is going. I know Cameni has talked about 3D trees, and making them sway should not be a problem. The fields are of course man made, and Anteworld is, well, before man ;) But I suppose if data could be imported that show areas of fields it would be possible to procedurally generate fields like this with plow lines and everything. I think the team needs to make a decision at some point to go for reality (as in roads, buildings, fields, forests) with everything placed like in real life. A true world sim, or just keep the "outlines" and let there be some creative freedom.

I guess Cameni can agree or disagree with me here, am I in the ballpark? :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:10:18 pm by cameni »
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 09:13:55 am »

Wow! those birch trees are amazing, and I love how they line up between the fields. Looks just like a trip outside town here :) That's really amazing, but I actually believe this is where Outerra is going. I know Cameni has talked about 3D trees, and making them sway should not be a problem. The fields are of course man made, and Anteworld is, well, before man ;) But I suppose if data could be imported that show areas of fields it would be possible to procedurally generate fields like this with plow lines and everything. I think the team needs to make a decision at some point to go for reality (as in roads, buildings, fields, forests) with everything placed like in real life. A true world sim, or just keep the "outlines" and let there be some creative freedom.

... or they do both ...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:10:50 pm by cameni »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

2eyed

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:49 am »

Cameni, hire that guy! :D

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 11:59:54 am »

yes do it !  :D
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »

I second that! :)
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 04:29:59 am »

The fields are of course man made, and Anteworld is, well, before man ;) But I suppose if data could be imported that show areas of fields it would be possible to procedurally generate fields like this with plow lines and everything. I think the team needs to make a decision at some point to go for reality (as in roads, buildings, fields, forests) with everything placed like in real life. A true world sim, or just keep the "outlines" and let there be some creative freedom.

Only the natural distribution is "before man", or actually rather "after man" because we only have modern data for elevation and biomes, and these already show the effect of Man. However, all artificial land changes are going to be modeled by vector overlays using similar system as the roads, where you have a parametrized spline that also knows how to modify the land materials, heights etc.

With fields you'll have polygons that alter the natural distribution, changing the texture and height profiles to the type specified with the polygon. Being procedural, it can be also in a transitional state between the natural and the assigned one.

So I just checked, he's from a relatively close city in Czech rep. I saw he also got an Anteworld account :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »

The fields are of course man made, and Anteworld is, well, before man ;) But I suppose if data could be imported that show areas of fields it would be possible to procedurally generate fields like this with plow lines and everything. I think the team needs to make a decision at some point to go for reality (as in roads, buildings, fields, forests) with everything placed like in real life. A true world sim, or just keep the "outlines" and let there be some creative freedom.

Only the natural distribution is "before man", or actually rather "after man" because we only have modern data for elevation and biomes, and these already show the effect of Man. However, all artificial land changes are going to be modeled by vector overlays using similar system as the roads, where you have a parametrized spline that also knows how to modify the land materials, heights etc.

With fields you'll have polygons that alter the natural distribution, changing the texture and height profiles to the type specified with the polygon. Being procedural, it can be also in a transitional state between the natural and the assigned one.

So I just checked, he's from a relatively close city in Czech rep. I saw he also got an Anteworld account :)

Well, if you do decide to contact him, and you are both able and willing to work together, my hopes for Outerra would go even higher, as it looks like he has already attacked some of the issues you are working on. In his second video, I especially took note of the water reflections.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:47:28 am by HiFlyer »

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 11:23:53 am »

What's the deal with Czech people and world simulation programming? ;)

HiFlyer

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 12:10:53 pm »

I downloaded the free version of Vue and played a bit with it. Extremely slow, but quite amazing results. Of course nothing realtime, but for inspiration :) Vue uses procedural terrain and "ecosystems" that populate areas with plants et.c. I guess that's a bit like Outerra works.
(This is not my work, just a sample someone uploaded to youtube)

I've looked at a lot of other solutions as well. Some are promising, but for real time, and complete range of features, Outerra is still out ahead. The I-novae engine is close behind, with what seems to be a complete lighting engine (nice!) but as for trees, roads, ships, planes, clouds......

Not quite yet.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »

Source: https://twitter.com/astro_reid/status/506052551377436672 (He's on the ISS, his whole account is really well known, but it's full inspirational material  :))
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:09:17 pm by Acetone »

HiFlyer

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:41 pm »

:o 8) :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16