Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Inspirational images  (Read 121919 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Inspirational images
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:55 am »

Have you played this?

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/games/4683-kkrieger-96kb-3d-shooter.html

I played many years ago, and could not believe this was 97 kb.

Pretty cool. There were a bunch of demos like this out there for a while, but now they are a lot less common.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 07:41:06 pm »

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 07:51:53 pm »

Eric Bruneton Is a name that should be known to anyone interested in modern procedural worldbuilding. His project: PROLAND was and is a spiritual ancestor of Outerra, but after the Proland project, I heard little of him until in the last few days he suddenly resurfaced with new videos to add to his scholarly papers. Fascinating stuff, as always.

I always loved his RAMA stuff, and as usual there are probably insights useful to many other types of project.

And of course, if you are inclined to play, Mr Bruneton provides a real-time demo where the user can navigate in Rama with a helicopter-like vehicle, and view each light path contribution separately or combined with others, for a single or six linear source(s), and with or without ground textures. The demo provides a precompiled binary for Windows, as well as the full source code and a simple Makefile.

http://ebruneton.free.fr/rama-physics/physics.html
http://ebruneton.free.fr/rama-lighting/lighting.html

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:34:01 pm by HiFlyer »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2015, 02:30:05 am »

Is there some deeper reason why hes using inward oriented cylindrical environments ? (like some NASA vision for a far future space-station/craft ?) Or its just for simplifying math and result-examination ? ... its kinda interesting he projects environmental temperature trough irradiation, as a possible supplement for a star-light source: "the 6 linear light sources must provide a total power of 6.7MW.m−1 in order the get an illuminance of about 35.000lux at the ground level (on Earth, the illuminance when the Sun is at the zenith, with a clear sky, is about 100.000lux). This result is based on the hypothesis that the light sources emit only in the visible range, without producing any heat. The corresponding irradiance at the ground level is then 157W.m−2.
the flat linear light sources give an almost uniform temperature Ts=15°C at the ground level."

But cant imagine to have such sources all around a craft like that (it is like looking at the sun all the time) ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2015, 04:39:54 am »

Is there some deeper reason why hes using inward oriented cylindrical environments ? (like some NASA vision for a far future space-station/craft ?)

This project is based on a Arthur C. Clarke novel :)

Btw, the most impressive video is here:

It's only a side project and he's still working on Proland (according to his personal website).

HiFlyer

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2015, 02:32:19 pm »

I haven't seen any new Proland information since around 2012, and don't see anything new mentioned at his various hangouts. I can only assume I'm cross eyed!  :facepalm:

Could you point it out to me?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:03:26 pm by HiFlyer »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2015, 09:11:36 am »

I haven't seen any new Proland information since around 2012, and don't see anything new mentioned at his various hangouts. I can only assume I'm cross eyed!  :facepalm:

Could you point it out to me?

No, in fact it seems like you were right, he's not listed anymore in the team he was working with (https://team.inria.fr/imagine/team/). I've done a few searches and was not able to find more.

Edit: He's now working on open source business tools  :(: http://forge.ow2.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=2467 (http://asm.ow2.org/).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:13:42 am by Acetone »

HiFlyer

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2015, 11:30:47 am »

Bleah!!!!  =|

HiFlyer

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2015, 02:05:11 pm »

I don't really know about I-Novae studies. Their program, Infinity, has a history possibly longer than Outerra's, and progress has been equally slow. Outera has surged ahead in the depiction of the planet earth and in the flora of the planet, while I-Novae has moved outwards instead and concentrated on outer space.

Outerra has incorporated libraries that allow for aviation, watercraft, and land vehicle simulation, whereas I-novae has concentrated on spacecraft and orbital mechanics.

Outera has introduced clouds and limited lighting, where I-Novae seems far ahead in both lighting, smoke and particle effects.

Are they rivals? They are procedural programs that seem to be heading in opposite directions, though its interesting to watch the individual programs evolve. I wonder if there is some innate difficulty that makes procedural worlds much harder than regular worlds to create. Things to ponder.

HiFlyer

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2015, 02:11:38 pm »

Is there some deeper reason why hes using inward oriented cylindrical environments ? (like some NASA vision for a far future space-station/craft ?)

This project is based on a Arthur C. Clarke novel :)

Yup, this is the inside of RAMA, a VERY large alien (and at first, apparently frozen and dead) spacecraft found speeding through our solar system in the book, which is about the team of earth scientists and explorers sent to try and figure out what it is before it finishes racing through our neighborhood, forcing them to leave fairly quickly after a quick look around if they ever want to get home before the ship takes them too far away.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2015, 02:53:55 pm »

Spoilers!!!

He, he... I don't care... I have read the (first) book    ^-^
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:49 pm »

Just something I bumped into that was interesting. Imagine if it was this easy to place cities in your favorite sim. Well, you kind of can. There is already a flight mod for this game. :lol:

I want Outerra to make scenery creation this easy!!!

Acetone would probably sacrifice a goat to make that happen.  =D

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:55:57 pm by HiFlyer »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:57 am »

Yup, this is the inside of RAMA, a VERY large alien (and at first, apparently frozen and dead) spacecraft found speeding through our solar system in the book, which is about the team of earth scientists and explorers sent to try and figure out what it is before it finishes racing through our neighborhood, forcing them to leave fairly quickly after a quick look around if they ever want to get home before the ship takes them too far away.

... sounds like fun.

Those rings on I-novae are incredible. like the smooth blending between the long distance ring texture and the voluminous dusts at approach  ... cant wait to see Jupiter in OT, when they're ready to do other solar systems planets. Doe, those ancient storms may be much more tricky, if we want to get to surface. (id like that)  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:01:02 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2015, 03:51:21 am »

Just something I bumped into that was interesting. Imagine if it was this easy to place cities in your favorite sim. Well, you kind of can. There is already a flight mod for this game. :lol:

I want Outerra to make scenery creation this easy!!!

Acetone would probably sacrifice a goat to make that happen.  =D

If you exclude the possibility of making roads cross at different heights and the auto soft connections between these, there is nothing really different here :)
(and surface areas but we don't have these yet, so it's hard to compare).
However, skyline UI is interesting. When we will be able to use OSM and vectorial areas, it would be nice to have the possibility to read directly some OSM infos through an information box.
 I'm especially thinking of the area type and buildings informations stored in OSM. Having the possibility to use surface areas as a type and having it filled with a determined set of models could be interesting too, but it would require a lot of tweaking, correctly labeled buildings by type/size and will probably give strange results with OSM, in Skyline, these zones are really geometric and tied to a road, in OSM it's a lot more different (even when these are correctly made... ).

Also, let's not talk about sloped terrain, wick makes everything 10 times more difficult for these things :(

HiFlyer

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2015, 04:13:35 am »

Yet X-plane managed to take such things and tie it to OSM. I think this is done even better.

And yes, somebody recreated GTA5 and added a (bad) plane mod........

Outerra could do this!!!!! (and notice the Game seems to handle uneven terrain fairly well)

EDIT: I was looking at a developer interview with No Mans Sky, which has a small team of about twelve people doing incredible work, and the lead developer was saying that when you hear of the 800 person teams, most of them are doing art assets. Looking at all the art that went into this, I can believe it. (though as mentioned, this is from a smallish team, too!)

More sloped terrain. I guess I like these sort of things because I see all the things Outerra could eventually be with enough resources applied. I guess its kind of my idea of a multisim utopia.  :)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:40:59 am by HiFlyer »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16