Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Inspirational images  (Read 121916 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Inspirational images
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:33 am »

Interesting....... 

Dovetail Games Flight School (DFS)

Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v3 (P3Dv3)

Microsoft Flight (Flight)

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition (FSX: SE)

Outerra

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2016, 03:33:48 am »

Interesting, though OT has clearly wrong FOV and position. Is it possible to get precise coordinates from FSX?

HiFlyer

« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2016, 03:51:28 am »

Interesting, though OT has clearly wrong FOV and position. Is it possible to get precise coordinates from FSX?

The airport is Innsbruck (LOWI).

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Celis

« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2016, 10:23:56 am »

I tried to use the Google earth coordinates for that screenshot, but wasn't quite near (maybe I missed a number), so I use the Map feature (outerra) and add the runway with Map (satellite view), of course didnt pay much attention to other details.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:26:50 am by Celis »

bomber

« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »

Dovetail got sun glare right.... that's what I'd like to see
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

zombie00

« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2016, 09:38:32 am »

Dovetail got sun glare right.... that's what I'd like to see

I don't know, it looks too sharp, like a camera effect rather than something you would see with your own eyes. I REALLY don't like camera effects on my games.

bomber

« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2016, 10:41:27 am »

Hi zombie, let me see if I can explain why I said what I did and why I think it's not a static effect .

First question, have you ever actually looked at the sun ? Like on a cloudless day, the sort of action your doctor will tell you would blind you ?

Well it does actually look more like the first image than any of the others and thats what I'm talking about...

The problem is you can look at the plane the scenery and the sun is wrong because of that glare.... and here I agree with you.

If I was to write a specification for the sun as wanted by a user it'd be something like..

The sun's glare flare intensity to be variable depending upon the sun's position relative to the screens centre and the length of time..

Such that a glance of the sun past the screens centre produces a short intensity flare which returns to nothing quickly..

A long lingering look with the sun 10 degress to the side of the screens centre results in the flare expanding and a residual after glow remaining when looking elsewhere which disminished inversely proportional to the flare intensity..

The aim here is to be able to hide behind the sun as a fighter pilot.... and you could only do that with the first image....

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:44:04 am by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:47 pm »

30m dataset

Not the best angle because of low sun and resulting high haze (and people used to fake haze-less renderings), so here are some more:

For comparison, current 90m dataset

Jagerbomber

« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2016, 01:02:45 pm »

The river's not related though, I assume.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

zombie00

« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2016, 01:22:26 pm »

Hi zombie, let me see if I can explain why I said what I did and why I think it's not a static effect .

First question, have you ever actually looked at the sun ? Like on a cloudless day, the sort of action your doctor will tell you would blind you ?

Well it does actually look more like the first image than any of the others and thats what I'm talking about...

The problem is you can look at the plane the scenery and the sun is wrong because of that glare.... and here I agree with you.

If I was to write a specification for the sun as wanted by a user it'd be something like..

The sun's glare flare intensity to be variable depending upon the sun's position relative to the screens centre and the length of time..

Such that a glance of the sun past the screens centre produces a short intensity flare which returns to nothing quickly..

A long lingering look with the sun 10 degress to the side of the screens centre results in the flare expanding and a residual after glow remaining when looking elsewhere which disminished inversely proportional to the flare intensity..

The aim here is to be able to hide behind the sun as a fighter pilot.... and you could only do that with the first image....

I can completely agree with that approach. It would even make the sun glare more interesting to see, having it on 24/7 regardless of the angle is the equivalent of living on rainbowland where there are rainbows everywhere, a really lame idea. I still believe they need to tone down the sharpness of it, mainly the hexagon, that's a camera effect caused by the shape of the aperture on a lens, on the human eye (at least mine, just went outside to check, 3PM on a summer sunny day proved to be the perfect time for this test) the shape of glare is more or less circular.

2eyed

« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2016, 02:18:11 pm »

... and the best looking is ... : Outerra(30m) !!
When will we get our hands on it? Educated guess please.

HughesMDflyer4

• TFDi Design
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2016, 02:34:26 pm »

Would have been nice to at least be given credit for the original comparisons. The Outerra shot in the first post is not mine, by the way. That one appears to be courtesy of Celis.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483730-dfsp3dflightfsx-comparison-screenshots/

@cameni: Great to see an Outerra developer chiming in with an accurate comparison! In case you're interested, here's the exact latitude/longitude/altitude/pitch/bank/heading that I used:

Latitude: N47° 15' 27.39"
Longitude: E11° 17' 19.48"
Altitude: 3679.48 feet
Pitch: -12.660052739847529
Bank: 11.21676821280645
Heading: 96.820694389293521

I'm not sure if it's of any use, but the visibility was set to 20SM (statute miles) in my shots (and appears to be same in the DFS one). Also, the date/time was: May 5, 2016 @ 07:08:29 local time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:55:43 pm by HughesMDflyer4 »
Brandon Filer

HiFlyer

« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2016, 02:49:24 pm »

Would have been nice to at least be given credit for the original comparisons. The Outerra shot in the first post is not mine, by the way. That one appears to be courtesy of Celis

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483730-dfsp3dflightfsx-comparison-screenshots/

@cameni: Great to see an Outerra developer chiming in with an accurate comparison!

90% of the time I do post links, but I swear most people here never go to Avsim. When they started locking people out unless they signed in (to cut down on bandwidth I believe) some people said they could'nt see my links to Avsim and weren't willing to create accounts.  =| http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3029.0

Sorry about that, I will start linking more frequently again, and see if there is a better response.

HughesMDflyer4

• TFDi Design
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2016, 02:59:57 pm »

90% of the time I do post links, but I swear most people here never go to Avsim. When they started locking people out unless they signed in (to cut down on bandwidth I believe) some people said they could'nt see my links to Avsim and weren't willing to create accounts.  =| http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3029.0

Sorry about that, I will start linking more frequently again, and see if there is a better response.

No worries! As a developer, I've gotten in the habit over the years of making sure anyone I work with or who's work I use is given proper credit no matter what. I just naturally find that kind of stuff now and point it out, at least. It's nothing personal.  :)
Brandon Filer

bomber

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2016, 03:51:01 pm »

Wow......

19 years old... member since 2011.... 3 posts...

Nothing personal....
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16