Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Change the handling of the MIG29  (Read 5449 times)

Sander

Change the handling of the MIG29
« on: August 09, 2013, 03:48:22 pm »

Hi,

I've been having a lot of fun just aimlessly flying around in the MIG29 with a Rift on my head, best game/demo I've tried on it, keep up the good work! However, some handling characteristics of the MIG are quite a bit off, mainly the pitch control. It changes the attitude of the aircraft really fast, like it should on a fast fighter plane, but the flight path itself seems to be based on something very heavy like a 747 or something as it lags behind way too much for an agile fighter plane. This kinda limits what you can do with it close to the ground as you can't really pull up quickly to fly out of a canion or something.

Now I was wondering, is there an easy way to change this, or does it require an entirely different flight model?

Here's a little video of what I mean:

[youtube]Z2ufkKg1-hk[/youtube] (btw, how do I embed a video from youtube? It doesn't appear to work)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:59:56 am by Sander »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Change the handling of the MIG29
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:10:20 am »

btw, how do I embed a video from youtube? It doesn't appear to work
Just paste the youtube link directly as text, but as http://, not https://

As for the handling, it's for ddenn or angrypig to comment, I only know that some controls act faster than they realistically should. Otherwise the FDM is driven by JSBSim, and you can alter the flight model to a great degree there. Perhaps JSBSim people could provide an insight too.

Sander

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:18:05 pm »

Thank you for your answer. Sadly I don't know enough about JSBSim to mess with this myself (I'm a pilot in real life, not a programmer ;)). What do you use to edit these parameters?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:58:25 pm by Sander »

angrypig

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:20 am »

The tables with aerodynamics coefficient are very simplified so it doesn't behave exactly like a real MIG29. But in real plane you are able to do the cobra maneuver which is exactly what happens if you pull joystick hard, but it's also very dangerous and in real plane there is G limiter which doesn't allow you such maneuvers unless you explicitly turn it off...

bongodriver

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:48:26 am »

very handy tool for editing the jsbsim .xml files......

http://jsbsimcommander.sourceforge.net/