Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Importing  (Read 4852 times)

Zapa93

Importing
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:38:07 am »

So I basically got bought this game(?) after a few tries with the demo for the added features. But I can't find a way to import the mods/skins. Any guides out there? And is it easy as in a simple copy and paste or does it require some third party software?

necro

• google+ Blog
Re: Importing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:46 am »

There are several ways for doing that.

1.) This is the easiest way. Just double click on an .otx-file. Look for them in the model forums. There are many models for downloading. They should be in .otx
2.) Use the built-in importer in the import section. This importer needs a .dae (collada) yet. After the next update this will be .fbx because of the animations.

Mods in this manner arent existing yet. Third party software is needed for creating models and textures. But not for the importing process.

And for changing skins you could modify the .dds textures in the object folder (--> C:\Users\[username]\Outerra\packages\[user]\[models]). But beware of the texture format. You need certain compression modes for each texture type. Have a look at http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/material

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:08 am »

"Importing" refers to the process of getting a 3D model (currently in Collada format) from a modelling program into Outerra and script it at all, and that's a bit complex, but there are other people's tutorials in the import section of the forums.
But from what you wrote, I guess you are rather asking about "installing" the mods - that's simple, once you download an otx file, just doubleclick/enter/launch it, it will be automatically installed by Anteworld.

Zapa93

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:11:49 am »

There are several ways for doing that.

1.) This is the easiest way. Just double click on an .otx-file. Look for them in the model forums. There are many models for downloading. They should be in .otx
2.) Use the built-in importer in the import section. This importer needs a .dae (collada) yet. After the next update this will be .fbx because of the animations.

Mods in this manner arent existing yet. Third party software is needed for creating models and textures. But not for the importing process.

And for changing skins you could modify the .dds textures in the object folder (--> C:\Users\[username]\Outerra\packages\[user]\[models]). But beware of the texture format. You need certain compression modes for each texture type. Have a look at http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/material

Okay, so I double-clicked on the .otx file(in this situation, the speeder from SW) and when I try spawning it, it says it "can't load flight dynamic model speeder". What does that mean?

Also, appreciate the quick answer.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:25:54 am »

That means that you have to install some vehicle scripts in the correct directory. Maybe there are some information about that in the thread of the speeder. Just for testing its easier to try that with static models. They dont have any scripts.

Zapa93

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:12 am »

That means that you have to install some vehicle scripts in the correct directory. Maybe there are some information about that in the thread of the speeder. Just for testing its easier to try that with static models. They dont have any scripts.

Think I fixed that part now, it's working. Thanks for the help :)