Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: August 2013 suggestions from Cronin  (Read 4395 times)

Cronin

• Programmer and Game Developer.
August 2013 suggestions from Cronin
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »

Hey guys,

Today i will be providing you all with food for taught :).
My ideas and suggestions today will all be about an SDK and features it could and should have. I will also include some personal taughts also.

Suggestion 1:

I think with an SDK a very obvious thing to include would be terrain customization allowing users to use the latest terrain brush tools and allow basic material creation for use with static terrain features and environmental features such as buildings and props. It is also important to allow users to import there own terrain assets from multiple sources. I personally find that one thing other commercial engines lack is there diversity when it comes to what you can import into the engine itself. I would recommend allowing .max and .blend files from 3ds and blender as if you only allow 3ds files those of us who cant afford 5000 dollars will be lost in what we can import into the engine and student copies of maya cant be used commercially.

Suggestion 2

Multi-World development. This idea is based on the taught of inter galactic games where you can fly from one planet to the next. Maybe in the future this engine will have it own 3d space allowing users to make multiple worlds in a 3d space environment. Allowing users to make worlds other than earth but of the same or smaller size would also be handy.

Suggestion 3

Flowgraph support. Make an in game script editor like cryengine 3s flowgraph and allow users to make interactive scripts in a beginners friendly environment. This will encourage users to learn coding and allow users to make scripts quickly and easily in the engine itself.

Suggestion 4

2d compatibility . This would be a great addon to the engine but would need alot of discussion with both devs and the comuinity. It would be a nice thing to have none the less.

Suggestion 5

Advanced cinematics. Every game needs its cinematics. It plays an important roll in a game and gives a more realistic feel to the game play. Cinematics is a must have for a game engine.

Suggestion 6

Minimalistic in game editor. This feature would allow users to make terrain in game such as basic trees and objects of use. It would allow users to quickly get what they need before ever opening another application.

I hope you enjoyed my ideas and suggestions.

Cronin
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: August 2013 suggestions from Cronin
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »

Hey guys,

Today i will be providing you all with food for taught :).
My ideas and suggestions today will all be about an SDK and features it could and should have. I will also include some personal taughts also.

Suggestion 1:

I think with an SDK a very obvious thing to include would be terrain customization allowing users to use the latest terrain brush tools and allow basic material creation for use with static terrain features and environmental features such as buildings and props. It is also important to allow users to import there own terrain assets from multiple sources. I personally find that one thing other commercial engines lack is there diversity when it comes to what you can import into the engine itself. I would recommend allowing .max and .blend files from 3ds and blender as if you only allow 3ds files those of us who cant afford 5000 dollars will be lost in what we can import into the engine and student copies of maya cant be used commercially.

You realise that blender can export .3ds, do you?

Also the engine will have space. Lots of it!

Other than that, good suggestions!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

James

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:48:25 am »

You used taught a lot, it's thought, not taught.
Sorry, it just hurts pronouncing that...

And, I think they already have multi-world support planned.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 06:39:40 am »

Yea its obviously, because multiword is no big deal. At the moment the space is earth-optimized. There is just no reason for having it now implemented.

And btw. you just listed the features of cryengine sdk here. So what are your personal thoughts?

Cronin

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:53:43 am »

As i said in my game thread the only other SDK i have used is cryengine so i like to use it as an example plus i am still getting used to the terms used in game design. Sorry for my spelling. I just think that seen as this is open world it should allow for the most customization. Cryengine has nice features so i "thought" id mention a few here that i have used alot in the past. Forgive me if im not up to your standards yet but i have to start learning somewhere. :)
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 08:42:19 am »

There are no standards. I just wanted to know what your personal ideas were ;)

Cronin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:43 am »

ok just im learning and some of my personal ideas might not be practical. :).