Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Making a zombie a.i  (Read 8482 times)

Cronin

• Programmer and Game Developer.
Making a zombie a.i
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:24:09 pm »

Hey guys i briefly stopped to think ab and out my zombie a.i today and was wondering for the creation of a custom a.i would something along these lines help as a good start for my a.i character.

#include <iostream
#include <stream>
#ifndef _new1_
#define _new1_
using namespace std;

struct new1 : public CGameObjectExtensionHelper,< new1, GameObjectExtension >
{
   new1Entity(){}

~new1Entity(){}
};

#endif

This is to make him relate to an in game object i was wondering if it will work or not.
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

necro

• google+ Blog
Re: Making a zombie a.i
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:36:33 pm »

I see a con- and destructor. A solid start so far.

And never give your variables or types fuzzy names like new1. Thats unusable for everyone else on the world. Probably even for you.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 03:00:21 am »

You should really start making your first game a smaller one, with a mature engine and SDK, to build up your skills and experience before you move further. Otherwise you'll never finish it.

Plus in Outerra everything will be only harder, because of the:
a) immaturity & evolution of the API
b) world scale and need to handle scalability and increased complexity

Cronin

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:22:33 am »

so do you suggest i make an alpha version on a different sdk and when outerra is ready release the finished project here because my game idea is long term it wont be out anytime soon but id like to have an alpha version out to show people my ideas.
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:39 am »

You know you have a lot to learn, so it's a better idea to start with something smaller and on a platform that already comes with documentation and all the tools. Nobody makes a MMO as their first project - well, a lot of people attempt to, but all fail because materializing ideas is hard, however determined they are. I would take small steps, do a few pilot/concept projects first.

Cronin

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »

okay its just i cant find an engine that will not require me to override there current entity default scripts for example on cryengine i tried to make a zombie a.i on a flowgraph but it wouldnt work due to the local player node being used somewhere else. Its all so complexed lol :).

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »

I dont see the point of developing in outerra. You can code them in and for cryengine. There is everything you need. A leveldesigner and the possibility to give them AI.

Cronin

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 04:26:27 pm »

Thats where your wrong they have all that but they lack world support for size. I cant have a planet sized open world game can i. i can only go to 16kx16k before i need to terrain patch.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 01:29:12 am »

I dont see howt that should affect the AI? That has nothing to do with the world size. Thats the point cameni meant. It shouldn't matter on which world you develop your AI. The AI has to work always at the same parameters. The world size is none of them. With 16k x 16k you can simulate almost every situation your zombies could be in. Believe me, thats enough space. Its true, you cannot have the whole world. But you want to make the fifth step before the first. And the first must be piloting as cameni correctly pointed out. And piloting means to demonstrate the AI. And therefore you dont need any planetsized world.

Cronin

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:40:30 am »

what im trying to say is i want a huge open world not a small world to develop a game on. 16k is too small. I understand where your coming from and i have already begun making an alpha on cryengine with the 16k terrain but my ultimate goal is to have it on this engine.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:59 am »

With 16k x 16k you can simulate almost every situation your zombies could be in. Believe me, thats enough space.

Never Enough Space.  NEVER!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 10:13:43 am »

For prototyping it is enough. If your concept doesnt work on a small world, it wont work on a whole planet. On the opposite you can assume that you can transfer your concept to the whole world, when you did a successful prototype for a smaller area. This should be your goal. Why starting on the superlative? You will fail. And it doesnt matter how enthusiastic you are. But the biggest question should be: Why you dont hear on people who HAVE the experience which you are looking for? I am a professional programmer and i would say that i am abled to estimate the possibility of your goals. Compared to your current level of coding you will never reach the implementation process. Thats because of your unrealistic expectations. Cameni told you the same some posts before. He DID what you want to try. Forging his (and angrypigs) great ideas into software. Only fools would ignore hints from someone with his experience and references.

At the of 17 i was similar to you. I knew nearly the basics of programming. Using blitzbasic was the only 3d programming language i could handle. I had the similar visions like you - i wanted to create games with ultra realistic settings and experiences. I need just a couple of weeks to realize that this never will happen if i dont change my attitude about that. Nowadays, ten years later, i had the technical knowledge to create games. And believe me, you'll need more than toying around with cryengine for understanding game mechanisms. Dont understand me wrong. The cryengine sdk is probably the best game developing tool developed by coders from hell. They hide the architecture stuff and leave you just the editorparts. Thats cool because it saves time. Even beginners are blended by the easy functionality of that sdk. And thats the problem. They assume that game developing must be an easy thing. And thats the reason why almost every week somebody like you wants to create its own zombie-game with outerra. Maybe you will finish your project in ten years. But today you are one of thousands.

And let me point that out clearly. Create your game on the cryengine. You will get the experience you'll need for increasing the game later. Outerras SDK is far away and you would waste your time if you dont start researches about the game mechnisms you need.

Hopefully i didnt waste my time..

Cronin

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:35:31 pm »

yes i understand what your saying but my issue is where to begin. i am trying to learn c++ and i just about know basics but its very complex and most other languages seem to be the same. Even cryengines flowgraph confuses me