Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drop out of school to make a game?  (Read 14647 times)

James

Drop out of school to make a game?
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:05:44 pm »

I was thinking about dropping out of school to make a game. Of course I wouldn't do it without even starting. Once Outerra is "usable" and I can get started, I thought I should drop out of high school. Maybe school wouldn't be so bad, but, my school is ran by complete retards. They banned backpacks from being carried to classes, and now on the first day of school they fuck up everyone's schedule. On mine they left out Global on my schedule, which is required to graduate, thank god I caught it. I'm in 10th grade now. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? And does anyone even think the engine will be usable before I even graduate high school? I only know Lua, I have another friend who is going to be contributing to my game, he also knows Lua, and one more friend who will be modeling. I've been working on concepts and stuff now, and I already have the idea. If I did drop out then I could spend more of my time on the game, but if something was to fail, I'd be fucked.

gordo

Re: Drop out of school to make a game?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »

Hi. Do not drop out of high school to make a video game. It's a terrible trade-off to make at an important juncture in your life. That's the best advice you're going to hear. You may think that you don't need high school now, but the chances are that your first attempt at a game will not be successful. You're almost certainly better off developing your idea while in school full time, using weekends and evenings to get it to a point where you can see some real progress. Otherwise, you're trading in your future for an ill-advised shot at the moon. I know it's hard to see the point of all the lame classes, rules and bureaucracy now, but believe me if you can get through the next three short years, you'll have an opportunity to go to a place that doesn't bore you to death -- college. Problem is you can't easily get there if you drop out of high school. You're young. There will be plenty of time to pursue your dreams *after* you've secured a high school diploma that makes you eligible for a job that goes beyond flipping hamburgers.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »

Once you drop out.. You lose access to friends and girls. Nobody like the dropouts either.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:14:58 pm »

Hey... I didn't have that and I didn't drop out......

But don't drop out.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

James

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:34:19 pm »

Once you drop out.. You lose access to friends and girls. Nobody like the dropouts either.

Well, if you're assuming I like any of the people. I'm sure people wouldn't hate me for being a dropout if I dropped out and became rich after.

Hi. Do not drop out of high school to make a video game. It's a terrible trade-off to make at an important juncture in your life. That's the best advice you're going to hear. You may think that you don't need high school now, but the chances are that your first attempt at a game will not be successful. You're almost certainly better off developing your idea while in school full time, using weekends and evenings to get it to a point where you can see some real progress. Otherwise, you're trading in your future for an ill-advised shot at the moon. I know it's hard to see the point of all the lame classes, rules and bureaucracy now, but believe me if you can get through the next three short years, you'll have an opportunity to go to a place that doesn't bore you to death -- college. Problem is you can't easily get there if you drop out of high school. You're young. There will be plenty of time to pursue your dreams *after* you've secured a high school diploma that makes you eligible for a job that goes beyond flipping hamburgers.

Well, a video game would be a job if it sold well, and you don't need a high school diploma to sell your game.

gordo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:35 pm »

Well, a video game would be a job if it sold well, and you don't need a high school diploma to sell your game.

Yes and putting it all down on a single number on a roulette wheel pays 35 to 1, but I don't like the odds much.

You wanted advice, so I gave you mine. You want to drop out, go ahead, but as someone with a lot more experience in life than you, I can tell that you're coming at the problem from an emotionally-charged perspective and don't have the experience to make a sound, risk-adjusted decision in this instance.

Then again, maybe I'm just a foolish anonymous poster on an Internet message board, so take my advice for what it's worth.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:00:43 pm by gordo »

James

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:13 pm »

Yes and putting it all down on a single number on a roulette wheel pays 35 to 1, but I don't like the odds much.

You wanted advice, so I gave you mine. You want to drop out, go ahead, but as someone with a lot more experience in life than you, I can tell that you're coming at the problem from an emotionally-charged perspective and don't have the experience to make a sound, risk-adjusted decision in this instance.

Then again, maybe I'm just a foolish anonymous poster on an Internet message board, so take my advice for what it's worth.

It's not an emotionally-charged perspective. I just want to make a video game, and if I drop out I'd be able to work on it full time. I've talked to a couple people and gave them a vague idea of the game, "An apocalyptic MMO which allows the player to travel anywhere on the planet." A lot of people replied with something like, "Well if you need any testers then I'll help!"

Timmo

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:58:36 pm »

Maybe school wouldn't be so bad, but, my school is ran by complete retards.

Your school is run by complete retards.

Stay in school. It's just far easier to stick it out for a few more years than give up now.

Peca

• Outerra fan
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »

I've talked to a couple people and gave them a vague idea of the game, "An apocalyptic MMO which allows the player to travel anywhere on the planet." A lot of people replied with something like, "Well if you need any testers then I'll help!"
Internet is full of dreamers with wague ideas, a lot less people create something, because that is a much harder than dreaming. And MMO is the hardest thing to start with.

If I were you, I would stay in school and start with some short simple single player prequel to the big MMO ;)

James

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:30:54 pm »

I already am very good with Lua, so why should I start small?

Timmo

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »

Very good according to who?

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 02:31:03 am »

I already am very good with Lua, so why should I start small?

Prove it. What are your references? What you can do with lua? And why not prototyping your game idea with cry engine? They support lua. I can tell the whole day my ideas. The difference is, to realizing them. You have nothing. No education, no skills for making games. You just have the idea, dream whatever. Nobody needs testers when there is nothing to test. Even for a prototype you would need years to develop. Who is paying your bills in this time?

High school might be the hardest time. Many jackasses, small minds. But who cares? In several years you maybe have a master in engineering. THIS will pay your bills, not the dreams in your head. So ignore the retards and dont complain about your life. Only losers are complaining about everything. Winners could handle the stupidity and would use it for their success.

James

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 07:23:53 am »

I've coded all of these:
http://coderhire.com/profile/scripts/1054

I know more than making DarkRP stuff. I've played around with gamemodes, and a lot of people liked them. I consider $1,200 from DarkRP addons in about a month good to me.

Why shouldn't a game be able to pay my bills? I don't want to use Cry Engine because it doesn't satisfy me, so I am waiting for Outerra. Anyone will buy a good game, and I think I can make a good game.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:36:13 am »

A game is abled to pay your bills, if its released! Not when its in development. But your DarkRP addons seems to be an infintiy money generator. So quit school. Its stupid, but if you have this opinion you should be fine. You are 16. 16 year old children doesnt know whats good for their life even if they want to believe that. Trust me in that. That is fact. Adults know it better than you. Outerra has no sdk yet. So which effect does this have for your school dropping? Nothing. You cannot make _your_ game with OT although you have dropped school. Thats simply stupid.

James

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:21 pm »

Like I said, I am waiting for the engine to at least be released. Then I am going to start working on the game. If all goes well, if I can actually get work started, then I was thinking of dropping out so I have more time to work on it. I'm actually 15, I turn 16 in January.
Pages: [1] 2