Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Water level adjustment (historical)  (Read 7867 times)

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
Water level adjustment (historical)
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:58:11 am »

Hi!

I'd like to see a setting for water level in Outerra. Here in Scandinavia we have a situation where the land rises out of the water every year a little bit more because of the inland ice that has pushed it down. This means that 100 years ago the coasts looked different. At the Viking age here (western Finland) the water level was about 10-15 meters higher up. (If i remember correctly, something like that)

It would be cool if outerra could model this, so it could be used as a tool to visualize how the landscape looked 1000 years ago. This could be useful for historians and archaeologists for example.

Would this be hard to implement?
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

necro

• google+ Blog
Re: Water level adjustment (historical)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:21:59 am »

There is a blogpost @http://outerra.blogspot.de/2012/07/great-flood.html which depends on this. But there is no slider or something which you can use yet.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:30:21 am »

Just got that thought ... cameny, are you thinking about making a low-type simulation of tides due to the moon later on ?  It would mean an non-spherical base of the global sea-level, but maybe have it in an slight egg-form rotating accordingly to the moon position ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:12:28 am »

There's sea-level variable in world.cfg, that can be used to adjust the sea level, but there may be some issues with that.

Just got that thought ... cameny, are you thinking about making a low-type simulation of tides due to the moon later on ?  It would mean an non-spherical base of the global sea-level, but maybe have it in an slight egg-form rotating accordingly to the moon position ?
First we want to model the geoid to which the elevation data are referenced (currently the base is a sphere). Tides should be modeled atop of it, I guess there is a dataset providing the tide amplitudes somewhere.

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:45 am »

Cameni, Cool, thanx I'll check out the variable and see what it does!

By the way is there a way to override the very snowy and icy conditions in the Nordic countries? :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:04:14 am by DivineSense »
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

phlerp

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:53 am »

By the way is there a way to override the very snowy and icy conditions in the Nordic countries? :)

Wow, now that's a feature I'd pay a lot to get. Imagine just move a slider and no more snow plowing and no more cold weather. I go through winter as a zombie, so overriding the snowy and icy conditions I the Nordic countries would really be a life saver.  ;D
However I doubt it would be appreciated by my skiing friends  ::)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

Right now the climate model is very simple, and actually quite warmer near the poles than it should be. The problem is that the simple model can't account for the effect of the Gulf stream that warms up the Nordic countries to a great extent. See the temp map: http://www.globalwarmingart.com/images/a/aa/Annual_Average_Temperature_Map.jpg

Hm, until the full model is supported, I could probably adjust the parameters to match that disproportion .. it will warm up northern Canada and Siberia but maybe they'll not object to that :)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »

... it will warm up northern Canada and Siberia ...

Oh no !!

And what will we do whyte the Mig-15 engines fitted snow vaporizers then ??

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Add a slider to push the snow parts further or closer to the equator ? Would be an interesting tool, mostly to see Antarctica and other places in green, or Africa whyte snow ..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:53:01 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.