Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Very impressive - revolution for Flightsim!  (Read 32152 times)

tknudsen

Very impressive - revolution for Flightsim!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 04:39:32 am »

With this rendering engine a new ara is progressing for the flight simulator fan, I cannot understand why not the average flight simulator fan would not pay at least 60-100 dollars for such a packages.  I know for a fact that the scenery development 3rd party community is most eager to start creating if ever released.

Paul Thomas

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:07 am »

Having seen the video I'm very impressed.

OGREMAN

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »

I am a Die Hard Flight Simmer since 1978 and cockpit builder (combat Flight),  discovering this site has BLOWN ME AWAY! I am simply staggard by the sheer beauty of this engines performance. I just had to say something... man this is fantastic stuff that if taken on by flight sim developers would definately represent a massive step change in immersive flight simming.

I am absolutely bursting with questions of all kinds but I will read the Forum posts first.... so for the moment there is one question and one possible suggestion.

Q- Have you run any test runs  low & fast through this terrain at speeds that would represent modern fast jet behaviour? and how does the engine cope with the resulting rapidly moving graphic detail ?.

Your trees are superb but I could not help noticing that the terrain under the coniferous forrestry still has a verdent green meadow look when in fact conifer forrest tends to have a smooth carpet (many centimetres deep) of brown dead vegitation ie needles. If you were able to get the engine to generate that look it would prevent that very pristine other worldly look that the forrestry has.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 11:30:55 pm »

Quote from: OGREMAN
I am a Die Hard Flight Simmer since 1978

What on earth did a flight sim look like in 1978?

Q- Have you run any test runs low & fast through this terrain at speeds that would represent modern fast jet behavior? and how does the engine cope with the resulting rapidly moving graphic detail?

I think this video should settle that...

[youtube]XGMs7Iem3Vg[/youtube]

Your trees are superb but I could not help noticing that the terrain under the coniferous forestry still has a verdant green meadow look when in fact conifer Forrest tends to have a smooth carpet (many centimeters deep) of brown dead vegetation ie needles. If you were able to get the engine to generate that look it would prevent that very pristine other worldly look that the forestry has.

Actually if you look this engine only currently has 4 textures (Grass, Rock, Snow and Dirt) and one model of tree varied slightly in size and color by the engine iteslf. The area under the trees gets a mass shadow cast on it currently but I am sure your concerns will be fixed.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 04:53:41 am »

Q- Have you run any test runs  low & fast through this terrain at speeds that would represent modern fast jet behaviour? and how does the engine cope with the resulting rapidly moving graphic detail ?.
Yes the engine is capable of high speed flyovers, we usually fly with UFO mode controller that allows even higher speeds.

Your trees are superb but I could not help noticing that the terrain under the coniferous forrestry still has a verdent green meadow look when in fact conifer forrest tends to have a smooth carpet (many centimetres deep) of brown dead vegitation ie needles. If you were able to get the engine to generate that look it would prevent that very pristine other worldly look that the forrestry has.
The ambient darkening that you can see under the trees is actually derived directly from a probability function that describes a forest depth. That value will be also used to determine where the dead vegetation and needles will be, but it will come only after the land class system is upgraded.

OGREMAN

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 06:58:58 pm »

Everything that I see here just gets more and more exciting... this is so special, thanks for the prompt response to my "dumb Qs",
You asked what a flight sim looked like in the late 70s... well the one I wrote on my ZX81 had two  lines that represented the boundry of the runway with a threshold marker, then there was a set of basic flight instruments (ie clockface dials) showing Airspeed, ADI pitch and roll,thrust... all were just white lines on a black screen and the only thing you could do was attempt to land.

It all got much better when wire frame processing took to the skies lol.

Thanks again for this fantastic engine, I hope to see it driving the graphics of the next generation of multi diciplinary interactive multiplayer simulations of Life the Universe and Everything ohhh yeah
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"
Pages: 1 [2]