Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: New to Outerra world  (Read 5752 times)

gmilitel

New to Outerra world
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:18:38 am »

Hi, I'd just discovered this engine last night, diving in google. I was looking for a game engine that can cover the entire world. I'm a fan of strategy games, mainly military, my favorite games is  Jane's Fleet Command, and I said IS not WAS because I'm still playing it, the engine is very old but the game is gorgeous.

I'm a 3D Modeler with 3D Studio Max, I'm starting to learn Maya now, I'd contributed some models for the game GCBLUE http://www.gcblue.com

I'm curious about what Outerra and Anteworld is, is a game engine? is a sdk? Can we customize things? Can I do a military strategy game whit this, like ships, aircrafts and land units?

I'd always a dream with a game engine that can replay the WWII Battle of Midway in the pacific in 1942 or the attack on Pearl Harbor, and even play a convoy attack on the North Atlantic by Soviet forces against US ships back in 1985.

Well, for now guys I have to say that from the pictures and videos I saw this is a promising engine and If you want some kind of help from a Argentinian guy please let me know, I'm not a programmer nor a developer but I have a lot of good ideas for a strategy game engine.

Regards.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: New to Outerra world
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:39:46 am »

Welcome to the bunch Gmilitel ! ... yes, its an engine. But if you buy it now, you can play along whyte some stuff already. Adding models is actually the main thing to do, later some scripting possibilities will be added for engine manipulation ... Cars, Aircrafts(trough JSBSim) and Boats can be scripted into working trough the vehicle-script already. Just check the whole Importer related threads (or the vehicle-ones). I myself work on adding some modeled stuff into it, just like a few of other people (all free-time works) posted around the vehicle thread to download and try out in Outerra.

As for your dream of the NAVAL WAR idea, i think you check this out :
http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=1377.50

Maybe check in whyte Marco (aka Bartolomeus), and maybe make an effort coalition on that.  ;)

In other regards - Outerra will be an gamers(and/or other application) engine where the creators now are working on finishing the engine and a promo-game called Antenworld. So developers will have the engine to use once its finished (yes, some years will take this effort), but the importer is a great tool to begin whyte at actual time, so if you hawe the time and motivation - go trough the importing threads and documentation and get some epic stuff added. Im sure you as a modeler will find it to be a great thing. WELCOME ABOARD !
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:56:19 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

gmilitel

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »

Hey, thanks!

You mean that for adding models i need to buy the engine? How much? where can I buy it? Paypal?

I'd downloaded the demo, isn't that not enough to look around and add models?

I'd read Bartolomeus's topics already and it seems that we are looking for something similar. Is there any guidelines for doing/texturing models to fit into the engine?

If you plan to add some scripting what language that would be? Python,Lua?

What is the promo game Antenworld?

Regards.

James

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:36 pm »

I'm also learning modeling myself! I'm using Blender, which isn't too user friendly so it's hard for me to remember a lot of things.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:59 pm »

The demo is just for looking around, you must buy it - 15 dollars actually and trough Paypal (when you install the demo, there will be a buy-button at opening screen) ...

Models need to consist of meshes whyte max. of around 64000 vertices (is in the topics) and textures in ... 3Dc/ATI2 DDS format. The modell should be in COLLADA (.dae) format too for the importer to handle (i think Maya hat some issue whyte it, see trough the forum on it, but Blender does that just fine - im working whyte it too).
As for the model structure, there are few things :

- individual meshes pivots(origins) are used in scripting for theyr rotation/movement, so if you plan use some of them in script, you need to place the pivot at the rotation place. Also a little of planing how the model should be partitioned for all that.

- Hierarchy is supported, best is to do a empty mesh and all parts as separate ones parented to the one (you will see in the importer itself the hierarchy nicely lined up then - the empty´s pivot is used also as a center of mass of the whole object)

- Check normals of each face - i had a share of forgetting of them and sitting two weeks on blender just to flip them all the right way.

Scripting for the vehicle-script is in java and there are some simple ones posted to use ... doe a little insight isnt much of a bad thing (i mostly learned what i needed at a try and error basis) - they talked about C++ even and a bunch of other, but for models and their playing around is the simple java all you need now.

As Outerra is an engine for developers, they want to do Antenworld - as a game made in Outerra engine to show its capabilities to the market and use it too as a "work in progress" fund rising to complete the engine.

P.S.: And dont be shy to send even PM´s to all the forum members about their works whyte a ton of questions, people are nice here. :D Most things of general questions are scattered around the forum, so looking trough all those sites would be a lot of asking-reducer, but we understand much of it is in pieces all over the place, so dont worry to ask anyway.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:58:02 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

gmilitel

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:32 am »

Hi, I'd just downloaded Anteworld and it didn't work. I'm using a laptop with Intel based graphics and OpenGL 3.1 capable, so the engine will not work for me for now. So I'll wait until I can have a more capable hardware.

Meantime, let me ask you one thing: Is outerra based in some point on ogre 3d engine?

Best regards.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:23:37 pm »

Outerra is based on its own engine.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:18 pm »

More specifically Outerra IS the engine. Anteworld the "game" that runs on it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo