Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is to import a 3D model  (Read 10044 times)

konaone

What is to import a 3D model
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:02:25 pm »

Hello to all!
I'm trying to export a model helicopter in 3dsMax.
To use it in Outerra do not have to load textures and materials! I'll do it later in the program Outerra! is that correct?

konaone

Re: What is to import a 3D model
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »

fsx model with ..... export to convert x.
edit in 3ds format.
I open the file with 3dsmax.
except with collada and amount through outerra.
I do not see anything and I noted several errors.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:32:30 am »

There is a few possible things ... first, do not mind the UV texture error (OT needs a certain dds format type texture so if it isnt, it ignores it, or just doesnt find the image at all at the place the model defines it to be at). Also, while importing, OT sometimes doesnt show the model (while the menu you have in the screenshot) or shows it at some unknown position, so you have to check by spawning it to the world trough the spawn menu. Doe , sometimes, if the model has a very odd base pivot/origin placing (way too far from the model itself) it just is somewhere ... who knows where, or it may spawn it under the earth (- happened to me once when it was to high above the model) and it just falls down the empty void into the center place of earths dynamic molten metal-mineral gravity generator. 
Do not worry about the number of vertices in this one, it would stop the import at that place, but yours gone trough to the end, so it should be imported - there is some other problem there then. It would be helpful to see some of the error messages in the window (just scroll up trough, it should be highlighted colorfully like the UV warning) .... try to d a screen of those error messages (i know, message could be too long to see whats up (going over the window), but it can help finding the problem) ...
      As for Max, i do not know if it is like in blender, that during export to collada, you have to have the whole model meshes being selected ... ? But at blender you do have to select the meshes you want to be exported (or they do not export or just index themselves).
.... Maybe even check the face normals orientation (they can be backwards and as they are just one sided, the model can come up rendered upside-down -- doe you should see the other sides anyway  ??? , so you would know if it is imported into OT).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 04:00:17 am »

You seem to have imported EnvironmentAmbientLight dummy object instead of the actual object - in the configuration tab, mark the EnvironmentAmbientLight object as not imported.

konaone

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:21:17 am »

This time I exported the model in OBJ format

presents itself as the only object in 3dsmax

amount as a static object

a bit of confusion!
First things first:
better to open with 3ds max obj extension?
What does it matter?

konaone

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:17 am »

imported, although it sinks into the ground

PytonPago

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:03:12 am »

Heh, the naval Kamov ... like to take that little beauty into OT air.  :D
... collision mesh may have a problem (if it is as vehicle imported) or if its just as object, check the pivot/origin and model position in Max according to the absolute axe´s zero  (it takes them as spawning position and height towards the placing point) ... As a vehicle import, when you define the wheels in script, it will  stay put on them, but im not sure how the collision mesh generation works in the importer in the matter, how does it cower the model volume - so if landed upside down, or kipped aside, it may go underground.

P.S.: Is that your model work ?   
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

konaone

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:14:18 am »

Hello Pytonpago.
No model is extracted from fsx.I'm user of FSX I bought several different models.
I think that flying outerra is fantastic.
In summary:
I have to create object groups in 3dsmax.ad example Basket landing right, left, glass wheel right, left, etc. etc.. I have to enter the animation with various pivot in 3ds max before importing! correct?

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:00 am »

Hello Pytonpago.
No model is extracted from fsx.I'm user of FSX I bought several different models.
I think that flying outerra is fantastic.
In summary:
I have to create object groups in 3dsmax.ad example Basket landing right, left, glass wheel right, left, etc. etc.. I have to enter the animation with various pivot in 3ds max before importing! correct?

:P .. nah, im not good for the FSX importer, not yet played whyte it. But yes, you should separate all the stuff you want to manipulate whyte. As for animations, i hope there is someone better skilled to give some more info, or AngryPig.

konaone

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 08:49:33 am »

konaone

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 01:04:12 pm »

as you may have noticed the helicopter rotor disks on multiple propellers.
To set in motion to when it is off. and when it is turned on. in outerra is expected to start or propellers that are not needed can be deleted?
the materials and the texture are added in outerra?

PytonPago

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 01:52:31 pm »

as you may have noticed the helicopter rotor disks on multiple propellers.
To set in motion to when it is off. and when it is turned on. in outerra is expected to start or propellers that are not needed can be deleted?
the materials and the texture are added in outerra?

via script, you can move, rotate or even hide certain meshes, so if you start the engines, you can switch between the rotors no problem, materials are taken from the model as the textures too, but you have to check the materials properties in the .txt file that will be made after importing the model, and as mentioned, textures should be in DDS (i thing Angry written that the FSX should convert .tga and some other, but not sure if it really does as i haven't speculated whyte it much)
 ... there was a little utility mentioned for them :
 http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=1330.msg15487#msg15487
 ... and you should hawe in mind :
- When saving dds textures, the size must be a multiple of 4, ie. 336 292x (291x 335 will not work)

konaone

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 01:14:55 pm »

>:(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:40:38 pm by konaone »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »

:D ... yes, the axes are a little thing to look at for OT import ... Y+(green) vector is heading to front, Z+ (blue) goes up, just rotate the model and its ok.  :)

Pages: [1] 2