Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: use of outerra  (Read 14875 times)

datslok

use of outerra
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »

Is it possible to use outerra in http://www.infinity-universe.com. It uses å kinda simmilar procedural engine on the planets.

Sorry for the bad english om from norway :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
use of outerra
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »

How do you imagine it would work? The engines can be considered kinda similar in the diverse universe of game engines, but up close they are rather different in the details of their procedural implementation.

Additionally, Outerra's terrain generator and renderer cannot be easily separated from the core engine functionality, it quite depends on it. You would basically drag the whole of Outerra to Infinity where they will fight over the resources, tearing each other to pieces :)

datslok

use of outerra
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »

Ok. It just would've have been so cool with a galaxy filled with planets that where as detailed as in outerra :P

flightmaster

use of outerra
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:34:21 pm »

Quote from: datslok
Ok. It just would've have been so cool with a galaxy filled with planets that where as detailed as in outerra :P
just reminded me of this question:
Will outerra be able to generate stuff in a galactic scale?
Something like stars, planets, asteroids, nebulae, etc.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
use of outerra
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:40:08 am »

Well, it's like this - we are focusing to a different level of detail than Infinity. They handle galactic scale and have pretty loyal fan base, but mainly we are not so fascinated by (mostly empty) space. What would ultimately attract us is to be able to land in an alien world, but we prefer one alien world artistically modeled so you could spend eons in there, instead of millions of worlds that are of 5 classes but look one like another.

So our focuses differ, we are more interested to generate worlds that are artistically designed, and we want to generate them down to the underfoot detail. I presume Infinity fans will go through tens or hundreds of planets but it will be just superficial.
When I see how much there is to find in Outerra, and we are moving just around tiny regions here, I can't imagine when I'll be able to explore a substantial part of it.

Nevertheless, ultimately we also want to make a planet generator, a set of algorithms that can generate various features like continents and mountain ridges etc, that can be used to produce realistic looking and believable planets. But it's not our priority at the moment.

phase.iNERTIA

use of outerra
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:33:33 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Nevertheless, ultimately we also want to make a planet generator, a set of algorithms that can generate various features like continents and mountain ridges etc, that can be used to produce realistic looking and believable planets. But it's not our priority at the moment.

If you started out with one planet, lets say of a smaller scale. Would it be possible to generate/add another planet or two later on?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
use of outerra
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:39 pm »

Are you asking if multiple planets will be supported? The engine is meant to support traveling between planets, each planet having its own definition, be it heightfield-based or generated algorithmically.

phase.iNERTIA

use of outerra
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Are you asking if multiple planets will be supported? The engine is meant to support traveling between planets, each planet having its own definition, be it heightfield-based or generated algorithmically.

Great, that pretty much answered my question. Thanks!

SpaceFlight

use of outerra
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:29 am »

Just came across this video:

I am not much of an EVE player, but the concept CCP have in mind, merging a FPS ("Dust 514", only for consoles) with a Space MMO ("EVE online", for PC), is impressive imo. But, they are using the wrong engine.   :)
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan