Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Importing Sketchup Models?  (Read 10063 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Importing Sketchup Models?
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:27:52 am »

The simplest modeling program that I can think of has to be sketchup. I (me) went into it (with no modeling experience) and within 2 hours I had this.. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/F12Bwth4/H%20Shifter/SketchUp2009-04-0704-06-27-79.png

Not great but pretty good for a first attempt. 2 weeks later after 3 hours I had this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/H-Shifter%20Prototype/ShifterV1.png

I imagine for my third attempt I could whip up something like this. [youtube]7fPFLFGVY6A[/youtube]
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Emil

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »

Yes, i think google sketchup would be an awesome program to make models for the engine, it's quick, easy and the models can be very precise. I've been working with the program myself and have been modeling vehicles and weapons, but haven't been able to put them in any games becuase there's barely games that support it at all.
So if you put in support for sketchup, i'd be really happy. Awesome and easy Modeling program, with an awesome and huge engine.
\'\'Life is like a Zeppelin, When the air goes out you hit the ground\'\'

TankBo

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:21:37 am »

Can't you export your models to .3ds or another popular format?

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:56:54 pm »

Sketchup has native collada exporter. Should work with Outerra.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »

How is Sketchup when it comes to Normal and Displacement mapping?  Curious because I've never used it before.

Lightwave has the ability to do all that and export to Collada, but the exportation ends up killing UV's etc.  I've been trying to find a work-around, but have come up empty so far.  Until Cameni and Angrypig release their conversion tool, I won't know how successful the app is for the engine :(.  X'ing my fingers though.  I'd hate to have to go through Lightwave AND Blender to arrive at something Outerra can use, but I'll suffer it if I must.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)